Tent waterproofness

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
crazydave789

Re: Tent waterproofness

Post by crazydave789 »

mercalia wrote:
Gattonero wrote:No, that is one advantage of silicone impregnated fabrics.
OTOH, no offence but there isn't a lot of sun in this country! :wink:

maybe but I keep my tents for decades - my old Conquest/polycotton/vango Force 10 is atleast 20 years old. My Vaude Mk2 is 10 I think.

The Fabsil Gold by the way is supposed to have 5 times the amount of silicon in it than the standard version and I understand is recommended for tarps and sails that are out in all weathers all the time, it seems that car owners with softtops recommend it to proof the top

question do you proof just the outside or also the inside of silicon impregnated tent?

I certainly like my Kelty Tarp tent is really massive inside

if the tent has any worn areas it will soak through and proof both dies anyway all being well.

I have a very light US style poncho that was only showerproof as the fabric was not sealed. quick paint with home made sealant and its fully impregrated so water beads off and it just needs a shake. PU/silicone backed fabrics you can do both sides but just doing the porous side is enough. the yanks go all extreme and vacuum it to fully impregnate before hanging it out. you can do it with cotton as well as I've done webbing with it but the linseed oil and alcohol trick would probably work on the likes of your force 10 - proper touring tent that, cant get over all this namby pamby lightweight nonsense. Honestly I go away for 30 odd years and it all goes to pot.