Self inflating camping mat, £6, Tesco

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Sweep

Self inflating camping mat, £6, Tesco

Post by Sweep »

https://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-self ... rce=others

Not for the neowotsits crowd perhaps, but has its uses.

I got one so if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.
Sweep
mnichols

Re: Self inflating camping mat, £6, Tesco

Post by mnichols »

How small does it pack down?

Maybe I'm being thick, but how does it self inflate, and how deep is it when it's inflated?
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

It self inflates like all those things do - though you do have to give it a helping hand with a bit of puff. As you do with then all.

Although it comes in a long bag that makes it appear as if, packed, it is very similar to a rolled fam mat it will pack smaller, a bit bigger than my thermarest but then it is thicker and I would say more comfortable.

To get it into a smaller bag you use the tried and tested thermarest system. Fold it in half lengthways, then roll slowly expelling air. Do this two or even three times to get as much air as possible out.

When I have a mo, am up to struggling (even with the thermarest it's a struggle I will give some measurements on the compressed size.

Am well pleased.

Better hope it doesn't bust soon though as, self checking it out I forgot to take the receipt -maybe subconsciously thought I was getting a few groceries.

Oh - depth when inflated is in the specs on the Tesco link - thicker than my Thermarest I would say.
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

the trouble with cheap mats is the material wont stand up to being creased and therefore develops leaks. Had one from Amazon just like that and that one cost £15. My Thermarest Mondo King is made from almost textile type material. it cost alot but gives me the comfort I need.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

The other important that thing a sleeping mat must provide, is insulation.

It can be as thick and "comfortable" as you can see, but becomes useless if cannot prevent the cold from the ground to reach your body :(
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Well with regard to that mat gatto, that remains to be seen/felt - no one knows as yet.

Can i ask what mat you use?
Sweep
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

I use a NeoAir Xlite, as my road camping setup is by using two Carradice bags (Nelson and Junior) so I need low pack volume and weight.
It's expensive, but when you can sleep warm over frozen ground, you know it's money well spend!

If I was going to music festivals, won't doubt to use something like this £6 from Tesco for peace of mind :wink:
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Gattonero wrote:I use a NeoAir Xlite, as my road camping setup is by using two Carradice bags (Nelson and Junior) so I need low pack volume and weight.
It's expensive, but when you can sleep warm over frozen ground, you know it's money well spend!

If I was going to music festivals, won't doubt to use something like this £6 from Tesco for peace of mind :wink:

You mean you would be worried about the neoair getting damaged?
Or stolen?
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

stolen I would have thought
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Both! :wink:
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Ah gatto, thanks - you have confirmed my strong reservations about those superlight condom like mats. Nothing rougher than bare ground through a deflated mat.

And to be honest I have the idea that they were primarily designed for backpackers, but have been adopted by the lightweight cycling crowd.
Sweep
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

We all sleep in a fairly similar way, I suppose? :D
On a bicycle one may carry more stuff than by just having a backpack, but I am tend to bring "less" not "more", there it goes an insulated mat and a fairly simple quilt instead of a more expensive sleeping bag.
Being almost narcoleptic helps in not being too fussy when it's about sleep, and after a day on the saddle and a good dinner it's a matter of minutes before switching off :mrgreen:

But those things come with their trade-off, such light weight makes those sleeping mats a bit delicate. I'll probably get one of those cheap self-inflating for when I go to the park with friends, surely more comfortable than a simple piece of tarp to sit on!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Gattonero wrote:We all sleep in a fairly similar way, I suppose? :D
On a bicycle one may carry more stuff than by just having a backpack, but I am tend to bring "less" not "more", there it goes an insulated mat and a fairly simple quilt instead of a more expensive sleeping bag.
Being almost narcoleptic helps in not being too fussy when it's about sleep, and after a day on the saddle and a good dinner it's a matter of minutes before switching off :mrgreen:

But those things come with their trade-off, such light weight makes those sleeping mats a bit delicate. I'll probably get one of those cheap self-inflating for when I go to the park with friends, surely more comfortable than a simple piece of tarp to sit on!

one of the reasona I bought a cheap hammock - plenty of trees in Streatham Common that are suitable
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Trees may not be that common... in the "common". And I have one or two friends who aren't able to hop on a hammock.
It's a good idea, tho.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Sweep wrote:https://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-self-inflating-mat/753-6267.prd?source=others
I got one so if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Don't forget to give us an update next year.
(by which point it will no longer be available, but data points on cheap self inflating mats can be useful for judging future offers)