Campsite fees

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
smith4188

Re: Campsite fees

Post by smith4188 »

Bmblbzzz wrote:The smaller Camping & Caravanning Club sites seem almost all to be members only, at least in theory.

I did dozens of Camping & Caravanning Club sites last year. The first one I stayed at asked me if I was a member and then told me that, as a backpacker/cyclist, there wasn't any point in joining. I wasn't the one who did the calculation but I think the site owner said I would have to stay every night for something like six months to make it worth my while financially. After that, whenever a site asked if I was a member (which wasn't always), I just told them that story, they always agreed the pricing didn't make any sense and I never had to join. The Camping & Caravanning Club sites were some of the friendliest and cheapest ones in the UK.
http://www.EuropeByBicycle.com - Country-by-country touring info for 54 European nations and disputed regions
stephenjubb

Post by stephenjubb »

that's strange, if not a member they charge an extra £1.50 a night. Membership is £40 per year so repaid in full in one month. Curious how they got six months!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

stephenjubb wrote:that's strange, if not a member they charge an extra £1.50 a night. Membership is £40 per year so repaid in full in one month. Curious how they got six months!

Agreed - I decided not to take out membership as my current UK camping nights run to just a handful of nights a year. If I was doing more UK camping I would take out the membership to give me more options rather than to save money.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
PH

Post by PH »

stephenjubb wrote:that's strange, if not a member they charge an extra £1.50 a night. Membership is £40 per year so repaid in full in one month. Curious how they got six months!

I thought many sites were member only, in theory at least. I've stayed at a few and there's been no extra charge for not being a member.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

You certainly see lots of signs: Camping & Caravanning Club Certificated Site, members only. How often, if at all, that's enforced, and how it affects pricing or not, I don't know; it would seem to be variable.
stephenjubb

Post by stephenjubb »

PH wrote:

I thought many sites were member only, in theory at least. I've stayed at a few and there's been no extra charge for not being a member.

That is usually the certified sites and are for members only. In reality any cycle tourist can turn up and the owner will likely not turn away the business or non members.

I have known sites where occasionally the C&CC do enforce this. Personally if certified sites occasionally let non members stay it is a good thing - keeps them in business, after all bending a few rules is not big deal.

If however they were allowing lots of non members on to their certified site that is not good as members would then question the value of membership etc.
dodger

Post by dodger »

You can camp most places on Dartmoor for free, but watch out for the military ranges where there is sometimes live firing.
rollinbone

Post by rollinbone »

I was told by people running the C&C site in St Neots that it is in their constitution as laid down by the founder that
they are not allowed to turn away anyone who turns up that is 'self propelled' that is not motorized.
So if your on foot, a bike or even a canoe they must find you a pitch.

On the original topic
I find that site fees vary within a range of £5 to £18.
It must be noted though that during school holidays sites can and do double their fees overnight!
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

rollinbone wrote:I was told by people running the C&C site in St Neots that it is in their constitution as laid down by the founder that
they are not allowed to turn away anyone who turns up that is 'self propelled' that is not motorized.

I turned up at Troutbeck C&CC site without a booking a few years ago on my bent trike.
It was mid-season and they where full.
They did find me a pitch.
7.6 mile away down at Keswick ........ :D

It worked out better because I rode down the A66 that evening in the dry with good visibility and the next morning was damp and drizzly with reduced visibility.

It's the only time I've had to cycle on due to a site being full.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

I think there's a bit of confusion between the C&CC's 100 or so own sites - usually medium to large - which have their backpacker/cyclist rates - and their 'certificated sites' which are privately owned, often small sites, accreditted by C&CC. These are supposed to only take C&CC members - but if you look at their websites (most have these now) there is often no mention of this. I've stayed at a number of these and never been asked for membership - they are businesses after all, even if it is only a £5 or so.
I also like the C&CC's own sites - they may not all have the character and p&q of tiny sites but you cannot knock places where the staff cheerfully find space for a cyclist at 5:30 on the Saturday of August Bank Holiday! Plus they are always clean and well organised, and the prices good.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Tigerbiten wrote:
rollinbone wrote:I was told by people running the C&C site in St Neots that it is in their constitution as laid down by the founder that

I turned up at Troutbeck C&CC site without a booking a few years ago on my bent trike.
It was mid-season and they where full.
They did find me a pitch.
7.6 mile away down at Keswick ........ :D

It worked out better because I rode down the A66 that evening in the dry with good visibility and the next morning was damp and drizzly with reduced visibility.

It's the only time I've had to cycle on due to a site being full.

Troutbeck, although CC&C, was a privately owned site so I'd imagine run under different rules. It closed for a while but I see its back up and running, privately, again.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Yes, certificated sites don't have the same ethos (or ability, often) to fit in cyclists/walkers. Sounds like they tried their best to help though.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin