Cheesy Maggi (and their ilk) noodle recipes

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
simonineaston

Cheesy Maggi (and their ilk) noodle recipes

Post by simonineaston »

A popular subject for videos on You Tube at the mo' are of Indian street-food vendors cooking so-called Cheesy Maggi Noodles. Always on the QV for new menu items suitable for camping, I tried out the idea and can confirm it works well. So for you campers perennially in search of tasty snackery, you do this - the exact order doesn't much matter :-)
    * Chop any veg small - throw in pan, along with, say, a pint of water - it doesn't matter exactly how much
    * crumble the noodles into same
    * add the flavouring from the plastic pouch
    * grate cheese into same
When the water has nearly gone, serve.
There's a couple of comments, based on my trials - the more water you start off with the more tender the veg. will be 'cos you cook the ensemble longer.
If you drive off too much of the water, you risk the cheesy mess seriously sticking to the pan - you may not mind if you're going to eat it out of the pan you cooked it in.
You can add a beaten egg instead of or in addition to the cheese.
You can add garam masala and chopped chillies at the end too, like they do in India.
This recipe makes a quick & very tasty one pot meal, which is as big as you need it depending on exactly how much veg you add at the start!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
crazydave789

Re: Cheesy Maggi (and their ilk) noodle recipes

Post by crazydave789 »

it would use a lot of gas/meths though. I'd have thought.
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

Add the cheese when almost done. This way the cheese melts on top, does not migrate through to stick to the pan, makes eating better (as you get a full cheese hit) and makes cleaning the pan easy as there is no cheese on the pan it self.

I agree, it does look like you'd use a lot of fuel cooking it. Perhaps for the camp fire rather than the fuel stove.
whoof

Post by whoof »

I've just noticed that the original post was from August.

Thanks looks interesting I'll give it a go.

I would probably fry the chopped veg in a little oil and then add some spices. This would cook the veg a bit quicker and stop the spices tasting dry. If you get the water/noodles ratio right it's shouldn't take much longer than cooking noodles. I would also add the cheese last and after taking it off the stove.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

cheesy marmite pasta - food of the gods - well some of them anyway.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

I wonder how many fresh vegetables one would carry, considering their weight (the more water they have, the more they weight) and how they can cope with a summer trip when in the bags under the sun?
Also, some vegetables can take a while to cook, like peas/broadbeans or potatoes. Peppers too would need to be sliced very small, otherwise they'll take ages to cook.
I won't use chillies, unless there is plenty of water right on hand.

Being able to dehydrate at home some sort of stir-fry, that would be handy.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
whoof

Post by whoof »

Gattonero wrote:I wonder how many fresh vegetables one would carry, considering their weight (the more water they have, the more they weight) and how they can cope with a summer trip when in the bags under the sun?
Also, some vegetables can take a while to cook, like peas/broadbeans or potatoes. Peppers too would need to be sliced very small, otherwise they'll take ages to cook.
I won't use chillies, unless there is plenty of water right on hand.

Being able to dehydrate at home some sort of stir-fry, that would be handy.

I suppose it depends where you are travelling. If it's in the wilderness you may have to carry all your supplies with you for the whole ride. If you are in a populated area you can buy the veg from a shop at the place you are staying. With the internet these days you can see where shops are and when they are open.
Potato diced up will cook in after about 5 minutes of boiling, a diced pepper will fry in a lot less than that. I use both with some onion and mushrooms when making omelettes whilst camping.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

"I'm having supper with cheesy Maggi" has a certain allure! :wink: