What sleeping bag? (oh not again!)

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
yostumpy

Re: What sleeping bag? (oh not again!)

Post by yostumpy »

Ok then, plenty to think about, I suppose one of those emergency reflective blankets (ultra thin and light) under a mat would work well? Or does it get too warm?. Also tell me all there is to know about light weight quilts, weight / cost vs bags, been looking and look good, some folks have then, some don't.
I also tend to toss about a bit, but seem to be most comfy on my back, with my right leg poking out at the knee, and the foot by the other knee,although I'm ok in the army bag.
climo

Post by climo »

mnichols wrote:I'm thinking of buying a pump-up sleeping mat, bit like an old fashioned lilo that we used to use

It's for a supported, camping tour through the Himalayas. As it's supported I don't need to worry about weight (within reason). Any recommendations

Given that my tour is supported as so I don't have to worry about weight or packability, would this change anyone's sleeping bag recommendations

Most trekking outfits limit you to 15kg each. This means a porter can carry two trekkers kit & stay under the legal limit of 30kg. Despite this you'll see many porters carrying 50+kg on westerners treks even on so called charity treks. World Vision International springs to mind, they're an "Evangelical Christian humanitarian aid, development, and advocacy organization". I was so angry (my Sherpa friends were shocked) when I saw their porters that I ripped into their trek leader who was, of course totally ignorant of the real world. The trekkers were just floating along pretending they were helping the poor locals.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

if you toss and turn a lot then a central zipped bag usually works better from my experience. they also work a lot better in hammocks.
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

climo wrote:Most trekking outfits limit you to 15kg each. This means a porter can carry two trekkers kit & stay under the legal limit of 30kg.

The porter not only carries your kit, they carry their own too.

"Legal limit' changes with the jurisdiction. You may find that there is no legal limit in some countries.

Reading between the lines, for one walking trip I'm think of, if I employ 'a porter' I actually get two - one carries my kit and some of their own and the other carries their kit and the rest of 'my porters' kit. They do try to balance loads between all of the porters.
climo

Post by climo »

Warin61 wrote:
climo wrote:Most trekking outfits limit you to 15kg each. This means a porter can carry two trekkers kit & stay under the legal limit of 30kg.

"Legal limit' changes with the jurisdiction. You may find that there is no legal limit in some countries.

Reading between the lines, for one walking trip I'm think of, if I employ 'a porter' I actually get two - one carries my kit and some of their own and the other carries their kit and the rest of 'my porters' kit. They do try to balance loads between all of the porters.

I had assumed it was Nepal. Obviously not. Where you off to?
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

climo wrote:
Warin61 wrote:

The original question came from mnichols - and that is the 'Himalayas'. Depending on the marketing department that could be Nepal.
Me? Kokoda Trail - Papua New Guinea. ~100kms, 10 days - more days if I can get them. A porter costs ~$600.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

yostumpy wrote:Ok then, plenty to think about, I suppose one of those emergency reflective blankets (ultra thin and light) under a mat would work well? Or does it get too warm?.

foil blankets reflect radiant and convective heat back but will still conduct heat into the ground which is why you have the foam layer. putting the foil over the top would have more of an effect.

there are several reflective foam mats, as they are so light many people carry both an inflatable and a foam mat for winter use or just to upgrade their 20mm thermarest.

I remember my first cub camp when we had to take four wool blankets with us - three as ground cover and one on top as a blanket over our square sleeping bags. summer hols 1978. I'd hate to do that on a cycle tour
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Warin61 wrote:The original question came from mnichols - and that is the 'Himalayas'.

The original question doesn't even specify trekking.
When I did a "supported, camping tour through the Himalayas", it was cycling from Lhasa to Kathmandu, and the support was a lorry and 2 Landcruisers, so the practical limit was airline baggage limits.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Warin61 wrote:
climo wrote:
Warin61 wrote:

The original question came from mnichols - and that is the 'Himalayas'. Depending on the marketing department that could be Nepal.
Me? Kokoda Trail - Papua New Guinea. ~100kms, 10 days - more days if I can get them. A porter costs ~$600.

I’m cycling from Manali to Leh
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Anyone seen any good offers in the sales? My Himalayas trip is now confirmed, and I need a 3 or 4 season bag, and possibly a mat
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Don't know of any specific "bargain" sales (some of which og course can be sale prices on stuff that was over-priced to start with, but I've decided that my next 3/4 season bag will be a synthetic Snugpak, available from a fair few sources year-round at less than RRP.
Sweep
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Mountain warehouse everest down sleeping bag £129 extreme lightweight down bag£79. Saya sale price. Thats not true. Everest has been that price for a year i looked 3 times this year.probably bumped price up for a couple of weeks sometime. There is probably a discount code which will get 10% /15% off if you look or get their latest brosure instore. Soundslike a good trip. One ive wanted to do myself. Enjoy.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

Sweep wrote:Don't know of any specific "bargain" sales (some of which og course can be sale prices on stuff that was over-priced to start with, but I've decided that my next 3/4 season bag will be a synthetic Snugpak, available from a fair few sources year-round at less than RRP.

the softie 3, 6 and 9 have been issued for overseas tours so you might find a mil spec green one for a good price as troops on repeat tours were given brand new kit every time they were deployed. tougher fabrics so a tad heavier. they use someone else now and are doing a multi layer system similar to the US.

the dutch stuff is good as well.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks Dave
Will get a new bag.
Intend to check out the Snugpak factory shop when next up that vway.
Would be interested in reports from anyone who has been there.
Sweep
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

not for 20 odd years... they only did bags and pillows then.