Adaptor puncture to screw gas cartridges - safety?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Sweep

Adaptor puncture to screw gas cartridges - safety?

Post by Sweep »

Anyone got any views on this vid?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pptkpueB_PQ

I have such an adaptor.

Used it for the first time recently.

On connecting it for the first time to the puncture cartridge I was a bit alarmed that there was, initially, as I screwed it on, a release of liquid fuel.

Seems to have calmed down now.

When using puncture cartridges with puncture stoves in the past I only ever remember a brief gas burst, not liquid, as I screwed the stove on.

It is possible that as I screwed the adaptor into the cartridge to puncture it I was holding the cartridge horizontally.

Could this have been the cause?

Apart from that specific question I am also interested in folks' general views on them.

I have the impression that they are less available than they were and wonder if anything can be read into this.
Sweep
andrew_s

Re: Adaptor puncture to screw gas cartridges - safety?

Post by andrew_s »

I cancelled that youtube as soon as it started playing adverts at me.

A brief description, or a link to the product (a for sale link or a company link) may be better.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Not aware that it played ads at me.

Thanks for your reply but i can hardly tap out a transcript of all his words.

If you pop to the end of the vid there is a link to a written review.
Sweep
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

andrew_s wrote:I cancelled that youtube as soon as it started playing adverts at me.

A brief description, or a link to the product (a for sale link or a company link) may be better.

Not the vid's fault, Youtube slaps them on. Hitting "reload" usually gets rid of them.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

you can still get the bluet cans but its cheaper to make the valved ones now as well as safer.

I've watched many a scout freeze his fingers to their stove while failing to unwind the spike enough. to justify buying one of the adaptors though you would either need to have inherited a couple of dozen bluets or be touring france I reckon.

I think you just screwed it together a bit funny if you had a liquid leak or the valve just needed a bit of pressure to close it.