Jetboil or Trangia

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
sbcoombs

Jetboil or Trangia

Post by sbcoombs »

I’m new to bikepacking and sourcing kit for a couple of tours next year. Longest will be 10 days across the alps.

I’ll be mainly camping but with a motel every few days. I’ll never be too far from small towns.

I see there are spirit burners like Trangia and integrated cooking units like Jetboil or an Apkit equivalent.

What are the views of those with more experience, as I’m unsure which to go for.

Any feedback would be appreciated
Last edited by sbcoombs on 11 Oct 2017, 10:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
PH

Re: Jetboil or Trangia

Post by PH »

I have both, they’re different things for different jobs. If you intend cooking the Trangia takes some beating,even more so if you add the gas ring. If all you want is to heat stuff up fast - hot drinks and the like, then a Jetboil wins. If you’re counting the grams, there’s some even lighter options, but I like the convenience of the Jetboil.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

In Europe, alcohol for a Trangia will be easier to buy than gas canisters for a Jetboil.
For a ten day trip you might be able to manage on just one litre bottle of fuel alcohol depending on how much cooking you do.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

one pot cooksets might be more fun to source as I have always been turned off by the jetboil system, a stanley 700ml pot, a rocket stove and the adapters we discussed on sweeps thread. add a pop can trangia and you have all bases covered. I'd always go for something you can use on an open fire or stovetop.

I just did two weeks around yorkshire and took a titanium trangia and a mini gas stove to experiment with - I remain undecided as per usual because you try and reinvent the wheel, I'd have been happy with either but the gas was quicker. the idea was meths for meals, gas for brews. I think that's down to the army where we cooked on hexamine tablets because they were free but slow, the gas stove was for night time brews or using indoors without getting a beasting. I'm too used to dual mode cooking but too ingrained on stealth to cook with wood.

with gas you can also cook direct easier than other methods, so a tin of soup/stew can be warmed up on the gas (we used to dent the tins and if they popped they were ready (ring pull cans can go off like a shotgun though - be warned) or left sealed and boiled for a while (remove label first though) which saves messing up your pot, if warmin.

one pot cooking can be very tedious if you like food though as it is literally boil carbs and add sauce to them. another thing to consider is solo or with friends as you then tailor it to the catering needs, I packed as if my missus or a brother was with me so a trangia would work better for that. some on here just like a proper kettle for a decent brew untainted by ragu sauce or pasta residue.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

What ever you decide on and if you are flying to/from the Alps, be sure to understand any restrictions on the carrying of fuel and fuel containers.

Then of course there's getting fuel on day one where ever that may be.

Personally I gave up carrying cooking kit years ago. I don't eat out either as I find there is plenty of choice to be found with cold foods and drinks.

But hey, I know folks enjoy the cooking and dirty dish washing side of things :D
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I don't cook when freecamping bikesfortwo because of your washing up point and i don't want to pack stuff dirty but, even though far from a foodie myself, cannot imagine surviving on only cold food for days on end. Wouldn't it tend to be less healthy as well unless you were very careful - just endless sandwiches and pies etc? How long have you done this for, what trip duration?
Sweep
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

One litre of meths for a Trangia burner over 10 days? Is it really possible?

The burner is a heavy brass item which you have to warm up to bloom. I think the term might be high thermal mass compared to a basic can type burner. That uses up / wastes fuel. The best burner is used was a caldera cone. In real use in the hills of the lakes I achieved boil off 500ml approx. for a brew or for rehydration of by dinner out if 15ml of meths, for a variety triad and a whiteboard stove I've needed over 25ml for the similar amount of water to boil. All those stoves I've found to be a lot more efficient than a Trangia.

Assume 25ml for a 500ml boil for dehydrated food or a brew. Over 10 days and 1 litre that's 4 brews per day. Of course IME I wouldn't get close to that with a Trangia (both 25 & 27). And don't even mention the useless mini Trangia, that took a full burner of meths once for a boil even with another windshield and rucksacks for shelter.

Personally I would take a Trangia just make sure you keep stocking up on fuel. I used nigh on 2 litres over one 2 week holiday to Scotland. Then I got a gas burner for the Trangia for the last 2 week trip. The go systems one at half the oe Trangia gas burner. That took 1.5 x 450g gas cans. One was bought over in Holland in a hardwares store. Not hard to find really on our trip we spotted several places selling them on our travels.

So a Trangia with a gas burner if you cook. If not then perhaps a tiny gas burner, windshield and suitable pot. Or look at those primus eta stoves if you're not sure whether you'll cook or just need a water boiler. They're energy efficient and the remote can versions are good for several ppl. Or an msr stove with the radiant heat technology. That's the most fuel efficient gas stove you can get I believe. Expensive though
hamster

Post by hamster »

Jetboil for a quick brew-up, great for hot drinks, couscous or noodles are doable.
You can do cooking on a Trangia, things that require simmering, frying etc.

Both have their place, decide what kind of food you intend to eat.
PH

Post by PH »

Sweep wrote:I don't cook when freecamping bikesfortwo because of your washing up point and i don't want to pack stuff dirty but, even though far from a foodie myself, cannot imagine surviving on only cold food for days on end. Wouldn't it tend to be less healthy as well unless you were very careful - just endless sandwiches and pies etc? How long have you done this for, what trip duration?

There's a lot more to cold food than endless sandwiches and pies !
Most veg can be eaten raw, we're just not used to doing so, carrots, broccoli, spinach, mushrooms, asparagus are among my favourites, then of course there's the usual salad veg. Some of the microwavable grains are also pre cooked and can be eaten without heating. Cold meats, Olives, cheeses, smoked fish, I could go on and on, there's no need for it to be unhealthy, there's many ways it could be the opposite.
When I've not got the Trangia, the Jetboil doesen't get used for much except boiling water, I like my coffee in the morning and a instant soup can brighten up a wet evening. Sometimes I miss the cooking for the sake of it, but I've never felt I didn't have alternatives.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Tangled Metal wrote:One litre of meths for a Trangia burner over 10 days? Is it really possible?

Yes it is possible.
We are just back from 3 weeks in Corsica and Elba, and used two litres of 'meths' for the whole 21 days.
Trangia stove used every morning to boil water for two mugs of tea, then in the evenings to boil/cook pasta, rice, etc. and water for two more mugs of tea.
We ate out on four evenings though so no cooking then, just the kettle boiling for the tea.
There was enough meths left over at the end of the holiday for another day's cooking.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

Sweep wrote:I don't cook when freecamping bikesfortwo because of your washing up point and i don't want to pack stuff dirty but, even though far from a foodie myself, cannot imagine surviving on only cold food for days on end. Wouldn't it tend to be less healthy as well unless you were very careful - just endless sandwiches and pies etc? How long have you done this for, what trip duration?

Hi Sweep,

Last big trip last June, EV5 from Milan back home, 1000 miles, 3 wèeks - plenty of fresh food, no pies until Dover. Hot drinks were coffee at 11s from a bar or cafe and maybe another coffee in the evening.
Salads had in plenty.

Have also done similar long trips on the tandem and Mrs bikes4two just as content.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks for the reply.

We arecall different but i couldn't survive on your coffee ration either.

I use a trangia for cooking but a small gas stove is vital for firing up the bialetti espresso pot. I think i'd still use it if touring in italy such is my need for multiple espressos :)
Sweep
robc02

Post by robc02 »

PH wrote:I have both, they’re different things for different jobs. If you intend cooking the Trangia takes some beating,even more so if you add the gas ring. If all you want is to heat stuff up fast - hot drinks and the like, then a Jetboil wins. If you’re counting the grams, there’s some even lighter options, but I like the convenience of the Jetboil.

I also have both and agree with all that PH says.
If I'm doing a multi day tour I now take the Trangia and enough food for at least one main meal - even though I eat out in the evening if possible. I've had to cook that "reserve" meal often enough to convince me to continue this approach. In the past I have done much the same with the Jetboil, but providing I've got the space, I think the Trangia is the better bet. With the Jetboil I usually ended up taking at least an additional breakfast bowl, so there wasn't much space saving.
meic

Post by meic »

My dishwashing with the Trangia is no more than wiping out the cooking pan with the tea bag (from the cup of tea made by boiling water in the other pan while eating the food) then a quick rinse.
The spoon gets sucked clean.
Yma o Hyd
sbcoombs

Post by sbcoombs »

Thanks for the replies.
It sounds like a Trangia, or possibly a Caldera Cone is more suited.
I will probably only want to reheat and make brew but that will depend on eating out options. I could quickly get bored of pasta so it would be good to have options.
I’ve a lot to learn as riding and camping my way through the mountains is a bit daunting.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels