Jetboil or Trangia

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Tangled Metal

Re: Jetboil or Trangia

Post by Tangled Metal »

There's a book that's good for ppl camping and on the move such as backpackers. Movable Feasts. There's a good racing snake couscous recipe. Beats pasta every day.
meic

Post by meic »

Tescos are now selling a wholewheat rice vermicelli, pour on boiling water and leave for four minutes.
Good to have a change from wheat based pasta and couscous. Doable with either Jetboil or Trangia.
Yma o Hyd
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

If you are looking for a trangia OP I can recommend these folk.

https://www.funkyleisure.co.uk

Web page and pics possibly make it look like they cater just for youngster hipster festival goers but they do some good kit at good prices.

They do the Trangia plate as well which fits neatly on top of the stack taking next to no extra room.
Sweep
sbcoombs

Post by sbcoombs »

Sweep wrote:If you are looking for a trangia OP I can recommend these folk.

https://www.funkyleisure.co.uk

Web page and pics possibly make it look like they cater just for youngster hipster festival goers but they do some good kit at good prices.

They do the Trangia plate as well which fits neatly on top of the stack taking next to no extra room.

Thanks Sweep. That's a great site. I will have a few bits from there.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my iPad using hovercraft full of eels.
Eton Rifle

Post by Eton Rifle »

Horses for courses, really.

A Jetboil is a great lightweight job for boiling water; I take mine on day walks as it weighs about the same as a flask but is much more versatile. You can't really cook with it.

Trangia heavier and more bulky but can be used for proper cooking. I use mine with the gas burner option as I don't get on with meths.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

sbcoombs wrote:Thanks for the replies.
It sounds like a Trangia, or possibly a Caldera Cone is more suited.
I will probably only want to reheat and make brew but that will depend on eating out options. I could quickly get bored of pasta so it would be good to have options.
I’ve a lot to learn as riding and camping my way through the mountains is a bit daunting.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels

once the green eyed kit monster gets a hold of you that's it. the gas is always greener on the other side. I doubt if anyone has their perfect cookset.

I've known people who carried a tiny non stick frying pan for the sole purpose of making egg banjos. similar the baletto thingys, others carry plastic cafetieres or hot cups with built in coffee presses.

the good thing about the trangia is you have a fixed reference for space and weight and can't really do much more with it except use a gas burner with it. with a pop can or gas set ups you can keep going for years as you pare down the sizes of pots then realise that you can cook small in a big pan but not the other way around which is the problem with the jetboil IMO.

being able to source and cook a cheap decent meal is a pleasure in itself when every visit to the shop becomes a cant cook wont cook competition.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

meic wrote:My dishwashing with the Trangia is no more than wiping out the cooking pan with the tea bag (from the cup of tea made by boiling water in the other pan while eating the food) then a quick rinse.
The spoon gets sucked clean.

Agree, if tackled right away cleaning doesn't need many resources. As long as water is available, it's pretty easy to fill with water & shake most of the grub off, then a wet wipe will remove the rest.
Or just stop for a quick clean whenever you see a public fountain, to grab some extra water (don't clean your stuff right in the fountain)
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

meic wrote:Tescos are now selling a wholewheat rice vermicelli, pour on boiling water and leave for four minutes.
Good to have a change from wheat based pasta and couscous. Doable with either Jetboil or Trangia.

is it decent, I mean: does not become "chewy" like some wholeweat pasta I've seen? (like those pretentious "Napolina" :? )
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
nick12

Post by nick12 »

The trangia pans and kettle are all you need nice and compact.forget the stand and burner. I use a pure blue pop can which the pan sits directly on the top of ultra efficient on a 8 day tour of scotland this year i used less than 1 lt of meths.the stove fits in the kettle at 35mm high.5 brews porridge dinner and tea everyday. As for washing up i just use a little water and the orange mesh net from oranges works a treat.
meic

Post by meic »

Gattonero wrote:
meic wrote:Tescos are now selling a wholewheat rice vermicelli, pour on boiling water and leave for four minutes.

is it decent, I mean: does not become "chewy" like some wholeweat pasta I've seen? (like those pretentious "Napolina" :? )

Yes being Vermicelli it is very fine, too thin to be chewy. You may have to give it a bit of a turn over with a fork each minute. I have only used it at home, not camping but that should indicate that it is a pleasant food rather than something forced on you by the constraints of traveling. :D
Yma o Hyd
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

nick12 wrote: and the orange mesh net from oranges works a treat.

Top tip nick :) i tend to buy oranges on tour to keep my fibre and vitamins topped up and they are tough for carrying.
Sweep
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Sweep wrote:
nick12 wrote: and the orange mesh net from oranges works a treat.

Top tip nick :) i tend to buy oranges on tour to keep my fibre and vitamins topped up and they are tough for carrying.

Glad you like that one sweep
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Trangia tip:

If you want to eke the fuel out whilst running on meths use the simmer ring. We quite often get into camp first thing out of the panniers is the trangia replete with simmer ring in place. By the time we get the tent up and get generally organised there is the water there for a brew. Also by adopting this method you will reduce significantly the amount of soot that collects on the base of the pans. When cooking pasta etc. there is also no need to have the stove at a rolling boil, using the simmer ring method heat the water until it is boiling, throw in the pasta (or what ever dehydrated fodder takes your fancy) and either extinguish the flame or move pot to one side and put the kettle on, the pasta will continue to cook off the flame.

This method obviously takes a little longer than having the burner away at full tilt, but who is in a rush whilst camping? Chill man Chill :wink:

By the way in answer to the question go for a trangia, no moving parts, nothing can go wrong, after all mines been going since I bought it in Norway in the mid seventies.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

A question.

In Spain. Bought alcohol de quemar which the internet tells me is meths, and the lady in the shop asked me if it was for burning. Several forums say they've used poor quality meths in all parts of the world and the Trangia works fine.
Using an old swedish army Trangia thingy, had it for years always been reliable and tested it with UK meths before I came away, worked really well.
But:
All I can get is a pale blue flame in the centre ring, nothing from the holes. Yet when I tip it, meths comes out of the holes so they are not blocked.
The meths doesn't seem to want to light easily, I use a lighter and it takes a while.

Plainly there is a problem: what is the answer? Looks like crappy meths but others say crappy meths is not a problem. Currently planning to go to a pharmacy and buy some there to see what difference it makes.
Ideas?

Yours, flummoxed
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Last time I was in Spain, 5 years ago, I had problems with the supermarket alcohol de quemar, difficult to light and poor burning.