Simple UK mushroom guide

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Sweep

Re: Simple UK mushroom guide

Post by Sweep »

Heltor Chasca wrote:
£85 for a day with an expert sounds right and is invaluable.

am afraid I personally pretty much instantly forget anything I am told in such a way.

The only way my brain can retain stuff is by learning and doing a few times, ie: figuring it out for myself with on hand guidance.

Maybe your brain is different.
Sweep
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Heltor Chasca wrote:The ‘Easy Guides’ are good books. Hand drawn/painted so better than photos and the book shows easily confused species in the same page as the edible ‘shroom.

I’ve only gone wrong once by using too much butter which upset my constitution no end.

I like drawings of plants and animals but why do you think they are better?

For the expert: depends how many take the course, if one has the chance to ask enough questions. One is used to lots of knowledge being free

I do not collect fungus but I collect and eat lots of apples, plums, cherries. Not poisoned myself yet

Anyone know how one might use/prepare sloes, they seem to taste of nothing?
Diolch
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Heltor Chasca wrote:The ‘Easy Guides’ are good books. Hand drawn/painted so better than photos and the book shows easily confused species in the same page as the edible ‘shroom.

I’ve only gone wrong once by using too much butter which upset my constitution no end.

I like drawings of plants and animals but why do you think they are better?

For the expert: depends how many take the course, if one has the chance to ask enough questions. One is used to lots of knowledge being free

I do not collect fungus but I collect and eat lots of apples, plums, cherries. Not poisoned myself yet

Anyone know how one might use/prepare sloes, they seem to taste of nothing?
Diolch

Drawings and paintings leave out all the inaccuracies of photographs and make clear the key detail. This is why the best field guides for most flora and fauna are done like this. The U.K. has churned out world class experts like Richard Lewington. His books are worth owning for the sheer awesomeness of his work.

Sloes are ubiquitous with sloe gin here in the U.K. Mostly it tastes of cough syrup to me, but I’m not a drinker.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

rjb wrote:Google suggests these are brown birch bolettes growing under a silver birch tree in my garden. Should I eat one ? :? IMG_20171119_140029_558.jpg

Pretty average for a boletes but ok. I’m fine with them, but I had a client who ate a large amount and consequently, and very quickly, her whole world dropped from out beneath her.

Start in small amounts to test the compatibility with your gut. This counts with all fungi.

Obviously I can’t tell 100% what they are. Boletes have tubular undersides and I think it’s only the Devil’s boletes that’s a swine.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Anyone know how one might use/prepare sloes, they seem to taste of nothing?

They're okay as jam. And go well with other mild fruits, like apple and pear, so you can use them to make a crumble or something, as well.

The nicest sloes I ever had were in an apple, sloe & whiskey sorbet. That was at a pub.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

Vorpal wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Anyone know how one might use/prepare sloes, they seem to taste of nothing?

They're okay as jam. And go well with other mild fruits, like apple and pear, so you can use them to make a crumble or something, as well.

The nicest sloes I ever had were in an apple, sloe & whiskey sorbet. That was at a pub.

pure sloes are too bitter and have no flesh. Damsons and derivatives work for preserves.

sloe liquers are third spirit third sugar third fruit - 2-3 months in the airing cupboard but the longer you leave it the nuttier the taste, you can also make a xmas batch then reuse the fruit to make a milder smoother drink a year or two later. sloe vodka is very nice and smooth.

pick the fruit and chuck straight in the freezer to store it.

used fruit can also be used again in jellys to go with the sunday roast.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

rjb wrote:Google suggests these are brown birch bolettes growing under a silver birch tree in my garden. Should I eat one ? :? IMG_20171119_140029_558.jpg

good young, stew if older. dry and add to casserole maybe when you run over a muntjac