Lighting a Trangia

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
meic

Re: Lighting a Trangia

Post by meic »

Thank-you for that post Sweep. You probably just saved me from wasting £7-£15.

The video by Trangia on how to use their stoves shows it being lit by one of those and it looks like a reasonably cold location. They probably had the stove somewhere nice and warm prior to the filming.
Yma o Hyd
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

meic wrote:Thank-you for that post Sweep. You probably just saved me from wasting £7-£15.

The video by Trangia on how to use their stoves shows it being lit by one of those and it looks like a reasonably cold location. They probably had the stove somewhere nice and warm prior to the filming.

You're welcome.
On sparks, i also have an msr small self contained msr piezo thing. It's great for lighting gas stoves, works every time, more compact than the firesteel which i only carry for use in emergencies. But i don't think i have ever managed to light meths with that. My experience is limited and my scientific knowledge non existent but i suspect meths needs a flame, not just a spark.

Edit, at the risk of thread divert.

This:

https://rockrun.com/products/msr-piezo- ... gJRL_D_BwE

Throughly recommended, if not for a trangia. If your gas stove doesn't have piezo ignition a virtual must. Handy even if it does as some stove ignition systems are a bit wobbly. I read of one that was carefully designed to be burned to bits on lighting the stove.
Sweep
philsknees

Post by philsknees »

After trying all the methods above I eventually tracked down a traditional tobacconist who stocked refillable gas lighters specifically for pipe smokers. That was 10 years ago &, though I carry a small fire steel as a back-up, I've since used the pipe lighter as first choice for both gas & meths burners, winter and summer. It's as light, cheap and convenient as a cigarette lighter but with a powerful directional flame intended to point down into a pipe bowl without flaring up onto your fingers.
The only problem is finding that tobacconist.........
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks for that phil, sounds ideal. You have identified the problem with fag lighters.

Shouldn't be too hard to find what you describe.

Surely available on ebay?

Edit, something like stuff from these folks?

http://www.mysmokingshop.co.uk/index2.p ... =93&cat=68

Doubtless available cheaper - don't need the presentation box/tin :)
Sweep
meic

Post by meic »

It is a slight improvement not having the flame pointing straight at your thumb.
However when lighting a pipe people "draw" on it which pulls the flame down into the bowl.
In the Trangia the flame will still head back out towards your thumb.
Yma o Hyd
hufty

Post by hufty »

Just search ebay for "long refillable lighter", or ask in your nearest traditional iron mongers.
Another option is a jet lighter as the flame will come out where pointed even if you angle it downwards.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

There are also "match lighters" that have a zippo fuel soaked wick in a tube that you strike on a flint on the side
This sort of thing
philsknees

Post by philsknees »

Sweep: Mine was an IMCO G77R which you can view both on Google Images & Youtube, though I've spotted information suggesting the company (Austrian) folded a few years ago. One or two used examples are showing on Ebay for less than £7 but generally there are plenty similar to go at.
I must admit that they get mixed old reviews on Amazon but mine has been trouble-free.

Meic: Good point about pipe smokers drawing air in (I'm not a smoker) but I've just recovered my IMCO from the loft. There's a flame adjustment ring around the filler nozzle which gives a straight-down 3" roaring flame when set on max. Mind you, I'm not sure how long the gas would then last......but I've never needed to use the max setting. I have several different meths burners & have no difficulty lighting some of the deeper ones like this:
http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/cooke ... RB105.html. with the IMCO on a mid setting

I also have a Turboflame (original military model) lighter/blowtorch which gives an intense hot blue roaring directable flame just over half an inch long, acquired at the same time time as the IMCO but, being heavier & bulkier it was generally ignored during my backpacking days. It was, however, windproof, very dependable & handy for a bit of impromptu soldering, but not quite as useful for stove lighting. I see from Ebay that there are now much more compact models available which would be more useful.
bikerta

Post by bikerta »

To be fair, I have had my problems lighting my trangia, especially if I have only put enough meths in for a quick brew.

Matches work the best, but I have been caught out where the box has got damp and the matches no longer strike. In this instance I use a small paper taper (usually a bit of the crossword puzzle that I have finished) which can be lit using any lighter. I like the idea of dipping in the toilet paper though, but I do try to make sure all my kit has more than one use, hmmm what should I use it for first I wonder. :lol:
nick12

Post by nick12 »

A fire steel does work. Poundworld sell small cooker lighters the size of a normal lighter but with a 4cm nozzle which works a treat and not too bulky. 2 per pack and only a quid.
philsknees

Post by philsknees »

meic: This could be the definitive burnt finger saver:-
https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... h-xt-i1385

Collapsed it's a tad bigger than a normal refillable lighter & costs almost £20 on Ebay but with the wand extended will keep your fingers 18.5 cm from the flames.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

find a stick, dip into meths, light stick then put into trangia.

in theory you can also do it with your finger.

I've used firesteels for 20 years or so with my trangias and not had a problem. you have to learn to throw your sparks but its fine.

in the meantime the stick method is simplest, those long coffee stirrers work well.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Fire steel works fine, sometimes a bit fiddly in cold weather but I sometimes have to use the small piece of tissue paper dipped in the meths method mentioned by meic.
Permanent Match lighters are good too, but not as robust as they used to be, I've broken the striking tip off two in the past couple of years. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=perma ... e&ie=UTF-8
Tempted to try the Vargo Titanium Flint Lighter next http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/cooki ... QD107.html
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Looks excellent.

I particularly like the idea that you can refill it from your normal gas canisters - how very logical for what put me off some of the other solutions was that on an extended trip I would have to carry fuel for the lighter to light my fuel, at which point it all starts to get a bit barmy.

Expensive though for sure - an extra £9 for the fill adaptor which is a bit much.

So £29.

At that price it had better be pretty much good for a lifetime to justify itself.

Anyone used one?
Last edited by Sweep on 24 Oct 2017, 11:34pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Sweep