Lighting a Trangia

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
pjclinch

Re: Lighting a Trangia

Post by pjclinch »

Thapir wrote:Anyway if matches always work for you why not use it? Ferrocium rods and a steel is a reliable method for lighting stuff but not user friendly with meths stoves IME. BTW even "water and wind proof" matches can get ruined if too wet.

Also, when they work they're pretty smelly and smoky compared to "normal" ones IME.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

the swedish military are issued ferro rods to light their trangias, often it is easier to light a stick dipped in the burner resting on a leaf than casting a spark into the burner well itself.

I've never had an issue with it.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Thapir wrote:... Ferrocium rods and a steel is a reliable method for lighting stuff but not user friendly with meths stoves IME. ...

Not my experience!
Usually I light a Trangia/DIY burner on the first strike. Maybe stating the obvious: keep the striker (in my case, a short piece of old metal saw) very steady and sharply move backwards the flint while applying good pressure on it. Takes more time to write it than it takes to master it :D

I use the "Friendly Swede" rod and it works very well indeed, even in damp conditions is no problem at all.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...