Sleeping Mats

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
nirakaro

Re: Sleeping Mats

Post by nirakaro »

mercalia wrote:but doesnt the downmat require a special pump that adds to the weight - you cant just blow it up with your mouth, that would destroy the down inside? I did google the winter downmat and that with pump came up more than 2lbs in weight I think, half being the pump. Downmat seems rather fragile therefore to depend on?

Exped Schnozzel pump weighs 25g.
https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... 8EQAvD_BwE
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Unlike many on this forum, my previous recommendation was based as always on my experience of using the mat. For five years from when they were first put on sale I used a Downmat 9 almost exclusively. In that time probably for around 280 cosy nights with no problems. Since then I have used a Synmat and now a Synmat UL.I also have a MegaMat 10 which I use when not carrying by bike or backpack..

Having camped myself at over 8000ft on the Eiger trail I know what camping on a permanently cold and rocky surface is like. The Synmat UL is great for carrying being light and having a small pack size but would not give you the amount of insulation you may need at those temperatures. The MegaMat would be great but is bulky and heavy and in practice is only marginally warmer than the Downmat. So again based on experience if I were going to undertake your journey I would use a Downmat 9.

Due a past association with an outdoor pursuit company I have been able to try out and test many different types of mats and have never found any to better the Exped range.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

ah well found this youtube video of it -

[youtube]SiBxhnxosBc[/youtube]
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Tangled Metal wrote:Whichever way you look at it a downmat 9 with dry bag pump is half the weight of the big thermarest.

A Downmat 9 LW is 1250g + bag/pump, a Downmat WinterUL LW (7 cm thick) is 760g + bag/pump, an Xtherm Max is 570g + bag/pump

The Downmat 9 has an R-value of 8 US = 1.4 SI, vs 5.7/1.0 for the XTherm (which is about the same as a Downmat 7).

I rode Lhasa to Kathmandu in October 2000. Overnight temperatures got down to somewhere in the region of -18°C (daytime was perfectly tolerable (+12°?), but temperatures plummeted as soon as the sun went behind a mountain). I can't remember what I used - tent, mat and sleeping bag was supplied by the trekkiing company.
On those occasions I've bivvied/camped in proper cold (Antarctic), I used a Lilo, a thicker grade yellow Karrimat (Karrimor was a good brand then), and a sheepskin. The coldest was -50°C, more usual was -30 to -35 (on the ice).
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

the first thing is get used to sleeping on the floor so you bruise out the bits that matter and get used to achy mornings.

then you need a barrier to protect your mat and finally your mat.

personally I'd use a foam mat on the ground as the barrier then an inflatable above it. the multimat 35 is a very good welsh made mat that packs up small.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Thanks. Lots of good advice and plenty to think about

I will look into hiring because whilst i might do touring camping again supported camping seems an odd combination so it might be a one off - depends on price difference

With regard to the earlier question, I asked my wife and she said that I’m a he, and my kids said that I’m definitely not a spring chicken....but my mum said that I’m still the baby of the family
Aushiker

Post by Aushiker »

mnichols wrote:Thanks. Lots of good advice and plenty to think about

One thing to also consider, assuming you are flying with your bicycle and particularly if you are flying in India and/or Nepal is your weight limits. I would be checking to see if the your bike is counted as part of your allowance (the local airlines are likely to be quite restrictive with their limits) and hence this may impact on what other gear you can take.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

mercalia wrote:ah well found this youtube video of it -

[youtube]SiBxhnxosBc[/youtube]

I have a Thermarest one, it works for the purpose (no condensation inside the mat!) and doubles up as waterproof sack or simply to sit on the grass, or to store the used clothing.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Exped also do a pillowpump - pillow and pump combined. I've found it very effective for inflating a synmat and much the most comfortable camping pillow I have ever used.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

It's a good idea, but I've found them to be a bit small, I still prefer a sack with the spare clothing in
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...