Tents - life if kept stored?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
mercalia

Re: Tents - life if kept stored?

Post by mercalia »

PH wrote:Some years ago I used to manufacture and repair marquees and other similar structures, before they all went PVC.
I've repaired a few caravan awnings and apart from UV damage to the fabric the stitching was the most common age related degradation, sometimes these would be little used but long stored. I found once one seam had started to come undone others where likely to follow. So I started pointing this out and giving an idea of the cost of restitching completely which wasn't usually economically viable, it lost me a few jobs but better that than disappointed customers. Whether this is relevant to the storage of modern unused tents I have no idea, but it would be enough to make me wary that something stored for a decade would still be in new condition.
I'm about to make a new flysheet for my Terra Nova, using the old one as a pattern. I've never done anything so small with he corresponding tolerances, or zips! Laying it out it doesn't look that complicated, anyone competent with a sewing machine will probably have tackled more challenging projects. This tent is one that suites me well and I haven't seen anything I like as much, and those that come close are many more £££s than I'd pay. If I wasn't doing this myself, I'm pretty sure I could find someone to do it for me.

One reason I hesitate to get rid of my cotton/polycotton Conquest ancestor to the Vango Force Ten tents - is atleast 20 years old but when I un wrapped it to take a look recetnly , looked like new :D
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

mercalia wrote:
PH wrote:Some years ago I used to manufacture and repair marquees and other similar structures, before they all went PVC.
I've repaired a few caravan awnings and apart from UV damage to the fabric the stitching was the most common age related degradation, sometimes these would be little used but long stored. I found once one seam had started to come undone others where likely to follow. So I started pointing this out and giving an idea of the cost of restitching completely which wasn't usually economically viable, it lost me a few jobs but better that than disappointed customers. Whether this is relevant to the storage of modern unused tents I have no idea, but it would be enough to make me wary that something stored for a decade would still be in new condition.
I'm about to make a new flysheet for my Terra Nova, using the old one as a pattern. I've never done anything so small with he corresponding tolerances, or zips! Laying it out it doesn't look that complicated, anyone competent with a sewing machine will probably have tackled more challenging projects. This tent is one that suites me well and I haven't seen anything I like as much, and those that come close are many more £££s than I'd pay. If I wasn't doing this myself, I'm pretty sure I could find someone to do it for me.

One reason I hesitate to get rid of my cotton/polycotton Conquest ancestor to the Vango Force Ten tents - is atleast 20 years old but when I un wrapped it to take a look recetnly , looked like new :D

in one of my old scout huts there is a 1943 dated military issue scout patrol tent in olive drab with all guys sewn to it. still pitches still waterproof.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

mercalia wrote:...

IMO fabrics like Polycotton have their place for Holiday/family tents, where bulk&weight are not so important, and they are likely to be kept for longer time.
Backpacking/touring tents would privilege packing size and weight saving, using thinner and lighter fabric.

Also worth considering that not everyone may keep the same tent for long time, for example one may wish to do trips with more people or without anyone, thus not requiring the same type of tent.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
robc02

Post by robc02 »

I have just come across this thread and read with interest.
I have an Ultimate "The Tent" - a double A frame ridge tent - bought in 1979. The outer is original and I still have the original inner, but I obtained a replacement in about 1990 because the original groundsheet was a bit leaky.
Last time I used it, about a year ago, it was still fine. No stickiness though the fabric of the outer is probably not as flexible as it originally was. No signs of cracking, though. It has always been stored rolled up in its bag, either in the house or in a dry cupboard in a garage.
At about 3.8kg I feel it is a bit heavy for solo cycle camping, but I still like to use it for car based camping. It is very robust and stable - despite the lack of headspace compared to modern designs, I still think the double A frame has a lot going for it.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

robc02 wrote: I still think the double A frame has a lot going for it.

The main downside to a classic Force 10 is it helps if you've got a team of trained porters to carry it around for you...
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
robc02

Post by robc02 »

The main downside to a classic Force 10 is it helps if you've got a team of trained porters to carry it around for you...

Quite! :lol:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

robc02 wrote:

Quite! :lol:

dont we all have?
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

pjclinch wrote:
robc02 wrote: I still think the double A frame has a lot going for it.

and yet we used to lug them around in canvas rucsacks with big brass primus stoves
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

crazydave789 wrote:and yet we used to lug them around in canvas rucsacks with big brass primus stoves

In my day they were taken in the back of vans on scout trips.

Which made the weight no great problem.

Curious thing is i remember the boring ritual of lighting the things.

But cannot for the life of me remember anything we ate that they had produced.

Perhaps the scout leaders drugged us mid lighting ritual and then in our drugged state forced 60s space age food pellets down our gullets.
Sweep
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

Sweep wrote:
crazydave789 wrote:and yet we used to lug them around in canvas rucsacks with big brass primus stoves

In my day they were taken in the back of vans on scout trips.

Perhaps the scout leaders drugged us mid lighting ritual and then in our drugged state forced 60s space age food pellets down our gullets.

Wimp

you might need to contact the MET regards the drugging.

I lived half a mile away from Saville and feel resentful that I don't need therapy