Winter camping

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Chat Noir

Re: Winter camping

Post by Chat Noir »

What's wrong with yurts?

Stayed many nights in yurts in Kyrgyzstan, very friendly people ...

Assuming you have reasonable camping gear, winter camping is fine. I've used a lightweight 3 season 2 skin tent (Vaude) many times when in mountainous and snowy areas and in the winter. Bit of care ensures you and your kit stays dry and warm and comfortable. I think the biggest challenge is dealing with the long nights, if you don't have access to something like a pub, or have no choice but to be in a tent, especially when you're alone. Modern technology makes even this much more tolerable: e-books, music, radios, photos, etc, all on the same smart phone. If you're concerned about power, take a power bank, can keep you charged up for days. I've sometimes spent 12 hours in a tent in cold and heavy snow conditions but plenty of books on the kindle meant was fine.

Good luck.
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

It's a wooden one like a pod but round. One campsite I like in South peak district has pods and what they call wooden yurts ranging grin basic to luxury with furnished chairs and beds.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Sweep wrote:Thanks for the post tangled.

But you won't be getting me in a yurt. Rather smacks of poncy glamping by pretentious types to me. :)

so you wouldnt want this either? :wink:
they have a couple at tanners hatch yha now nr Dorking
100_3758.JPG
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Chat Noir wrote:What's wrong with yurts?

Stayed many nights in yurts in Kyrgyzstan, very friendly people ...

:)

yes i know it was a somewhat grumpy comment.

In short, fine in Kyrgyzstan,

But I tend to associate the transplanting of stuff like that with middle class folk playing at being peasants/country folk.Marie Antoinette etc.

Maybe I have bad memories of the landlady in one of my favourite pubs fawning over some pseudo be-belled country dancing twonks who shifted my locked bike and almost bust its spokes so they could do more poncy prancing in the yard.

Oh and a student flatmate once announcing that we were going to have an Irish evening. Thankfully that theatrical monstrosity never happened.

There, said I was grumpy :)
Sweep
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

one of the most enjoyable activities is going off somewhere with no agenda, its one reason why bushcrafters go off and stare at fires for the weekend.

bivvying out in bad weather or cold knowing you can take your time and there's no rush is very pleasant. on a par with laying in bed listening to the rain on a sunday morning or in a tent on a wet morning when you don't need a wee or to pack up
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I'm of the opinion I'm there to do stuff so usually wild camping and any winter camping is only there because I need to rest too enjoy a second day out and about. So I prefer to walk late, pitch, eat them sleep. At the other end of wake, eat (more likely just a coffee), get up, strike camp as quickly as possible and head off.

The striking camp for me is when I get cold the most so I do it quickly and try to get it mostly done before getting out of my sleeping bag. Easier to do in a tarp and bivvy like I usually wildcamp in.

There's so many possibilities with tents that it mostly becomes trial and error which is right for you. However in the way to your preferred tent you'll still get good nights out in whatever tent your use before that favorite tent.
meic

Post by meic »

I think the biggest challenge is dealing with the long nights, if you don't have access to something like a pub, or have no choice but to be in a tent, especially when you're alone.

I just carry on cycling until bed time.
Yma o Hyd
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

meic wrote:
I think the biggest challenge is dealing with the long nights, if you don't have access to something like a pub, or have no choice but to be in a tent, especially when you're alone.

I just carry on cycling until bed time.

+1 if I'm on my own (although that would be walking in the hills not cycling).