Duvet

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
pjclinch

Re: Duvet

Post by pjclinch »

mercalia wrote:
given that Force Ten cotton ridge tents were once the norm yes either there werent any cycle tourists in those days or they were very very strong to carry all that weight? or just dumb :lol:

They were normal in e.g. Scout Troops and mountaineering expeditions because they were utterly bombrpoof, but lighter alternatives certainly existed. Check out this from 1901 for example. My mum and dad went cycle touring with a home made canvas ridge tent, and while not light by today's standards it was certainly lighter than a F10! The Blacks Good Companion was quite a lot lighter, and a touring benchmark for years.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
climo

Post by climo »

These young folk don't know how lucky they are.
ee... when I were a lad.... Livin' in't cardboard box......'an'full o' hot gravel for breakfast.

:)
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

you carried a blanket, a sheet and a cotton mattress sack which you filled with straw borrowed from the local farmer.

similar to the Czech army bedrolls that have been kicking about the surplus market for a few years now.

I used 58 bags on the ground as they were intended and as expected they were chilly so you learnt to sleep on your front despite the hood, with foam mats I often slept on the mat with the bag as a quilt because I expected to have to leave it very quickly. in the early 80s camping with scouts, school, with friends and at festivals nobody had a mat, maybe a heavy cot type thing but not a mat.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mercalia wrote:I bought a DDHammocks quilt intended for using with their hammocks - packs up into a smallish stuffsac, is quite thin costs about £45. Seems to be ok when I used it last summer but final judgment will have to wait until this summer, I doubt good enough if you are one if those who disrobe wghen camping. Might be useful in a bivvy bag.

http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/dd_hammock_quilt

Certainly interesting mercalia, and I have bought stuff from them (a good company) but i see that it says:

"The perfect insulation companion to the DD Underblanket".

By the time you have added that isn't it just easier to use a bag?
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Sweep wrote:
mercalia wrote:I bought a DDHammocks quilt intended for using with their hammocks - packs up into a smallish stuffsac, is quite thin costs about £45. Seems to be ok when I used it last summer but final judgment will have to wait until this summer, I doubt good enough if you are one if those who disrobe when camping. Might be useful in a bivvy bag.

http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/dd_hammock_quilt

Certainly interesting mercalia, and I have bought stuff from them (a good company) but i see that it says:

"The perfect insulation companion to the DD Underblanket".

By the time you have added that isn't it just easier to use a bag?

The underblanket is for a hammock - its a common experience I understand to get a cold back due to draughts under neath a hammock ( which has no insulation properties), some people put a mat in the hammock to counter act that, an alternative is the blanket UNDERNEATH the hammock. So you wouldnt need that if you are just using the quilt in a tent ( and a mat of some kind )?
underblanket
underblanket

DDHammocks make some rather unbelievable claims re the temperature it is ok to use with. SUmmer use it MAY fine for, as I said will have to wait until next summner now to really give it a try again, this last summer was only a short use & I was trying a few low weight solns and now cant remember the experiences in detail. I would say MAYBE I think most people are used to heavy quilts at home and this one is not heavy on the skin which is a bit disconcerting since you wonder if it is "working". certainly since it packs smallish could be a useful thing to have with your emergancy bivvy bag and dont cost much. I think I maybe be at the limits size wise ( whats new :( )
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

I think it needs to be stressed how important is a good insulating sleeping mat when using a duvet: it the former that is going to insulate you from the cold ground (and providing cushioning comfort while sleeping).
With a good insulating mat and quilt, a setup for sleeping 0ºc is not difficult to put together, and packs very small! 8)
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Gattonero wrote:I think it needs to be stressed how important is a good insulating sleeping mat when using a duvet: it the former that is going to insulate you from the cold ground (and providing cushioning comfort while sleeping).
With a good insulating mat and quilt, a setup for sleeping 0ºc is not difficult to put together, and packs very small! 8)

well mine isnt small but one reason I like the Thermarest Mondo King all 4" thicknesses of it
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

mercalia wrote:
Gattonero wrote:I think it needs to be stressed how important is a good insulating sleeping mat when using a duvet: it the former that is going to insulate you from the cold ground (and providing cushioning comfort while sleeping).

well mine isnt small but one reason I like the Thermarest Mondo King all 4" thicknesses of it

The NeoAir Xlite is ok even a few degrees below 0ºc and packs down the size of a 1lt bottle 8) the Mondo King must be super-warm, I've no idea how many blankets would need to get the same insulation, certainly 2-3 times the size of the folded Mondo King
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Gattonero wrote:
mercalia wrote:

The NeoAir Xlite is ok even a few degrees below 0ºc and packs down the size of a 1lt bottle 8) the Mondo King must be super-warm, I've no idea how many blankets would need to get the same insulation, certainly 2-3 times the size of the folded Mondo King

Well here is the Mondo King on my bike - its the blue bag on the back
Thermarest  Mondo King - the blue bag, click to enlarge
Thermarest Mondo King - the blue bag, click to enlarge
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Is not compressed?
You can carry several NeoAir Xterm in that space. 3x Xterm could have and R value of 12 :mrgreen:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Gattonero wrote:Is not compressed?
You can carry several NeoAir Xterm in that space. 3x Xterm could have and R value of 12 :mrgreen:

thats compressed. it is a big mat what do you expect for 4"/10cm thick. No point in skimping on the thing your good night sleep depends on :D
The tent I used that time was a single skin ridge tent that weighs very little that is also very spacious and very long 7'+ long
PrinterJohn

Post by PrinterJohn »

I would say around 8 Neoair mats would fit into that space. I would use a smaller tent which would be warmer and definitely a a 2 skin tent. Why carry a car camping monster and then use a cold tent? Personally I find the Neoair more comfortable than a foam mat.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

PrinterJohn wrote:I would say around 8 Neoair mats would fit into that space. I would use a smaller tent which would be warmer and definitely a a 2 skin tent. Why carry a car camping monster and then use a cold tent? Personally I find the Neoair more comfortable than a foam mat.

well depends how big you are? The last thing I want is a coffin tent. Is fine for the summer months : better than a bivvy bag
new single skin tarp tent.JPG
PrinterJohn

Post by PrinterJohn »

I'm 6'1" and not exactly petite! A Neoair is fine for me, a cold sleeper, using a custom made quilt inside a Terra Nova Laser large 3 tent, this tent sleeps 2, has a vestibule big enough for 2 to sit in with gear and weighs 2kg with the mods I have done to it. So a light weight mat with lightweight tent and a lightweight 500gm quilt, is all a balanced system. I would certainly not sleep on a matt weighing several kilos and then sleep under a tent shaped tarp to save weight.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

PrinterJohn wrote:I'm 6'1" and not exactly petite! A Neoair is fine for me, a cold sleeper, using a custom made quilt inside a Terra Nova Laser large 3 tent, this tent sleeps 2, has a vestibule big enough for 2 to sit in with gear and weighs 2kg with the mods I have done to it. So a light weight mat with lightweight tent and a lightweight 500gm quilt, is all a balanced system. I would certainly not sleep on a matt weighing several kilos and then sleep under a tent shaped tarp to save weight.

dont like balloon mats maybe a prejudice. Maybe others here who use Thermarest blowup mats would like to comment on their reliability?

wasnt my thinking

then you probably wouldnt also use a bivvy bag? which my tent is a step up from? and some thing I have in my mind

this the tent?
http://www.moontrail.com/terra-nova-laser-large-3.php
what do others here think of it?