Cutting tent poles

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
crazydave789

Re: Cutting tent poles

Post by crazydave789 »

if the blade is sharp and you do it slowly then it wont swage as much especially if hardened alloy but it can usually be reshaped with a penknife or tent peg. it depends on how loose they fit, my north face poles I can shake straight, the vango ones I have to push together.

you could also use the same tool to make repair sleeves or trim off split ends.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

pete75 wrote:It'll work fine. This might be a better buy though as you get a spare set of cutting wheels with it.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/tube-cutter- ... _container

Thanks for that pete. In the Q&As screwfix say that it won't cut aluminium (must admit that I had never thought that aluminium was harder than copper) but perhaps that won't be an issue with weedy reed-like 8.5mil tent poles.

In case anyone thinks i am overpreparing, maybe it's because i abandoned an early short cycling camp because of a bust pole - didn't even have a repair splint. I like to be self sufficient these days. Of course in the uk you could buy bits and bobs you needed, but still a fag. All in, it could very easily waste half a day.
Sweep
drossall

Post by drossall »

I fixed a split end on one of those plastic-type poles with insulating tape wrapped round it. Lasted the rest of the camp anyway, which was the aim.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Sweep wrote:
pete75 wrote:It'll work fine. This might be a better buy though as you get a spare set of cutting wheels with it.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/tube-cutter- ... _container

Thanks for that pete. In the Q&As screwfix say that it won't cut aluminium (must admit that I had never thought that aluminium was harder than copper) but perhaps that won't be an issue with weedy reed-like 8.5mil tent poles.

Mine will. I wonder if whoever answered the question has ever used one? I used it for cutting an alloy tent pole repair sleeve into four lengths to cover the cantilever posts on a frame I was having powder coated.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks pete.

Will get one.

I suppose the screwfix person was being honest with regard to the strict specs. Which is good of them.
Sweep
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Cuts stainless steel but won't cut aluminium :?
[youtube]bneviIHiIKs[/youtube]
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

crazydave789 wrote:it depends on how loose they fit, my north face poles I can shake straight, the vango ones I have to push together.

Hilleberg say that shaking your tent pole straight is a prime cause of the ends cracking, and breaking later.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Cuts stainless steel but won't cut aluminium :?

Odd really

A russian website describes the same tool thus

"cutting copper, titanium, stainless steel and aluminum pipes.
The cork cutter remains the same length for use in a restricted area.
A smooth groove in the rollers can stabilize the damaged flares and cut it easily.
special 65Mn blade material, cut the pipes more sharp and accurate
with a spare blade."
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
PH

Post by PH »

Sweep wrote:
PH wrote:But why? I can't imagine a repair that couldn't be easily fixed without replacing a section of pole.

Puzzled by your last question. Are you advocating continuing to use what I would see as an on-tour bodge of a splint with tape?

Yes, maybe not for ever, but certainly till you get home. A splint is a perfectly acceptable way of joining tubes, it might not be elegant, it might not be a flexible as the original (Though you can shuffle the sections round so the splint or sleeve is in a place where this is least important) but there is no reason is shouldn't be as strong and as capable of supporting your tent as the undamaged pole.
I'm not questioning anyone's kit list, carry whatever makes you happy, but it'll never be possible to be prepared for every single eventuality and this one is so far down the list I'd need a following van before I got to it.
I toured with someone who left his poles on the train...don't ask... it took three days to be reunited with them, he managed OK using the bikes, a ball of string, two broom handles, a sense of humour and of course care taken choosing a pitch.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Sweep wrote:I carry repair splints and duct tape for touring tent poles but also a couple of spare sections which need cutting to size.

For this I carry a hacksaw blade (no holder) which seems to work OK but it is a tad delicate and I have to be careful about packing it so that it doesn't damage anything.

Would this be handy?

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p59799 ... i%20pipe...

That seems OTT to me, a good multiknife like a Victorinox or Bokker would have tools that can become handy (and actually work) all in a compact and handy package.
Btw, a quality hacksaw blade won;t break that easy! Look for Starrett or Irwin b-metal ones, good stuff!
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Maybe it would be easier to carry some spare tubes?
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

andrew_s wrote:
crazydave789 wrote:it depends on how loose they fit, my north face poles I can shake straight, the vango ones I have to push together.

Hilleberg say that shaking your tent pole straight is a prime cause of the ends cracking, and breaking later.

they might, but I found I laid them out to work out which was the shorter pole, they clicked together and always have done for 23 years or so at 3-4 weeks a year, the cracking and breaking is often when you fail to check that they are correctly seated when feeding them through the sleeves where burrs can cut the fabric with softer poles.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Maybe it would be easier to carry some spare tubes?

I do, but see above , they will still need cutting to length.
Sweep
drossall

Post by drossall »

On the first Scout camp I ever did as a leader, the Scouts were in traditional six-person canvas Patrol tents. One of the poles on those broke. I think the pin snapped clean off, but I can't remember the details. I ended up square lashing the ridge pole to the upright.

It held up for the camp 8)

Fortunately, our Scout Leader at the time had the skills, and access to the tools, to make a complete new, steel, set. I think we still have them, 35 years later. I'd like to see you cut those with one of those little cutter things :lol:
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
drossall wrote:On the first Scout camp I ever did as a leader, the Scouts were in traditional six-person canvas Patrol tents. One of the poles on those broke. I think the pin snapped clean off, but I can't remember the details. I ended up square lashing the ridge pole to the upright.

It held up for the camp 8)

Fortunately, our Scout Leader at the time had the skills, and access to the tools, to make a complete new, steel, set. I think we still have them, 35 years later. I'd like to see you cut those with one of those little cutter things :lol:

Your wish is my command :mrgreen:
15 mm steel thin wall pipe, but will do some steel motorcycle handlebars if you are not convinced :P
Attachments
DSC01235_a.jpg