Heaviest tent?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
hamster

Re: Heaviest tent?

Post by hamster »

5kg Wild Country Monsoon 4, we towed it in a trailer. It was brilliant with 2 young children.
Now the kids are bigger we use two 2-man tents, which comes in about 1 kg lighter in total - but with far less porch space!!
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

With the GF we have a MSR Mutha Hubba (3-man) which apparently weighs 3.1Kg, plus an extra 300g or so for a footprint. With some extra guylines I guess we're talking 3.5Kgs in total.

For solo trips I use a MSR Hubba Hubba NX (2-man), 1.7Kg packed weight plus 200g more for the footprint.

When buying the Hubba Hubba I briefly considered getting a 1 man coffin tent as I could have saved another 750g or so but in the end decided I'd rather have the extra space. I also considered taking the 3-man ten - could probably have handled the weight but there just wasn't enough space in my panniers to take it.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Just dug out my "lightweight" tent which I must have had since the '90s.
ISTR it was quite expensive at the time. Not been used for a decade or two.
Vango Hydra 200 (there is a current tent with the same name) which weighs in at 3.42 kg on the luggage scale.
Latest version weighs in at 3 kg according to the Vango web site.
So the original probably isn't too shabby. Assume it is two person like the current version.

I must put it up on the grass once the weather improves.

It might still be O.K. for touring, although single person bivvy seems attractive.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

bohrsatom wrote:I also considered taking the 3-man ten - could probably have handled the weight but there just wasn't enough space in my panniers to take it.

Have never carried a tent in panniers - do many people?

I always strap it sideways across the top rack.
Sweep
horizon

Post by horizon »

On top of the rack (lengthwise in my case) is just such an obvious place.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

horizon wrote:On top of the rack (lengthwise in my case) is just such an obvious place.

+1
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

+1 lengthwise.
Intrigued into the thinking which settles On crosswise.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Paulatic wrote:+1 lengthwise.
Intrigued into the thinking which settles On crosswise.

I pack a lot of stuff so doing it that way leaves more room on the top of the rack for other drybags.
A pic of my bike loaded for touring would doubtless horrify you.
Sweep
horizon

Post by horizon »

Sweep wrote:A pic of my bike loaded for touring would doubtless horrify you.

Sweep: I'll try and send you a picture of mine if you send me (privately) a picture of yours. They would be certainly be quickly banned on the forum as obscene and offensive to sensitive forum members.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Sweep wrote:
bohrsatom wrote:I also considered taking the 3-man ten - could probably have handled the weight but there just wasn't enough space in my panniers to take it.

I certainly do, either of my current tents will fit in the bottom of a 20l bag, the poles are in short enough sections to fit in too. That bag takes the sleeping bag and mat too so all the tent stuff is in one place. It keeps bulky weight low on the bike, frees up the top of the rack (usually the most that rides on top is my wet coat but I have carried my flight bag there for a full tour before now) and is more secure if I stop along the way.

It works for me but I guess if you take more gear you might have to strap it outside somewhere. There is no 'right' way for this stuff, do what works for you.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

horizon wrote:

Sweep: I'll try and send you a picture of mine if you send me (privately) a picture of yours. They would be certainly be quickly banned on the forum as obscene and offensive to sensitive forum members.

Maybe a new string is in order?

(a thread would never be strong enough! :lol: )
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Sweep wrote:

We put it in the panniers, but there again this is much easier with 'bent specific banana bags...

Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

horizon wrote:

Feel free to send yours if you want horizon (can it be done by pm) - I don't have a pic at the mo,

Agree - disgust or mockery would face any public posting.
Sweep
horizon

Post by horizon »

Sweep wrote:
horizon wrote:

Feel free to send yours if you want horizon (can it be done by pm) - I don't have a pic at the mo,

Agree - disgust or mockery would face any public posting.

The photo is a bit dark but the rear panniers are full size, the tent is 3.5 kg on the rear rack and the front panniers are medium size (not the usual small front panniers). The bike handled beautifully. My only concern was any structural weakness at the front (although the wheel is a strong 26" and the forks are disc compatible). Despite the season and weather, this much bulk/weight provided for luxury camping. Mrs H carried only her own items so this is the weight I would happily take solo as well.
Attachments
Loaded bike 001.jpg
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks horizon - my rack is usually way more loaded than that - tent, maybe one or two 20 litre drybags, one or two 13 litre drybags - small bag with handy snacks and coffee maker in.

Will try to take a pic of this horror later in the year
Sweep