1man tent plus bike

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
crazydave789

Re: 1man tent plus bike

Post by crazydave789 »

Sweep wrote:Interesting tent of yours upthread gatto but must admit to concerns about that pole and its positioning.

For middle of the night leak breaks.

And some of us brits who may indulge in a drink or two before retiring.

sweep just get a foldable Guzunder from amazon.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Ta dave, you just taught me a new word.
But peeing in a tent sounds fraught with issues to me.

But there is money to be made for sure from a tech solution to this.
Sweep
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

I bought a Vango Omega 250 for this very purpose, got my bike and trailer in it but did have to take my front wheel off.

For me it was about security, I know people will comment about how they have been touring for years and never had a problem but it doesn't help. Planes are suppose to be the safest way to travel but I still hate them and would much rather be in a car/bus/train/bike.

Thanks,

Dave

EDIT: Wrong tent
Last edited by theDaveB on 5 Dec 2017, 11:11am, edited 1 time in total.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

This concept has me intrigued (and puzzled), so for those of you that take your bike into the tent, is this into the porch (if so can you get in and out around it?), or is it inside the inner part of the tent? I honestly can't imagine having a bike in my tent with me (unless perhaps you have two porches and can have the bike in one and use the other for everything else). I just know that I'd end up catching things on it, getting muck or oil on clothes or my sleeping bag, impaling myself on a brake lever or knocking the bike over and damaging the tent! But maybe I'm just a clumsy camper!
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Sweep wrote:
And some of us brits who may indulge in a drink or two before retiring.

Tis a poor bladder that can't hold it's own beer the night through..... :lol:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

gloomyandy wrote:This concept has me intrigued (and puzzled), so for those of you that take your bike into the tent, is this into the porch (if so can you get in and out around it?), or is it inside the inner part of the tent?

In the porch area and still have room to get in and out.

Dave
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

This will do for storing a bike inside, cooking, having a wee, a poker night, and more :mrgreen:

For me, storing a bike can be when the bike is part of the shelter 8)
Put the bike upside down and a tarp over it. Cheap, lightweight, simple, fast to do, and super stable. I am amazed how often people thinks you get skewered by the bicycle used to keep up a tarp... do their bike folds up while riding?? :shock: a bicycle is massively strong, in fact holds the weight of the rider while going down a hill at 40mph, does a 9mm flexy alluminium tent pole perform the same way? I don't think so!
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

Gattonero wrote:
20D fabric with 1500mm HH, plus a square shape means "dry summer time only". That thing won't stay up in winds, and water will pool on the top.

I wasn't actually advocating this contraption :D

Frank
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Gattonero wrote:This will do for storing a bike inside, cooking, having a wee, a poker night, and more :mrgreen:

For me, storing a bike can be when the bike is part of the shelter 8)
Put the bike upside down and a tarp over it. Cheap, lightweight, simple, fast to do, and super stable. I am amazed how often people thinks you get skewered by the bicycle used to keep up a tarp... do their bike folds up while riding?? :shock: a bicycle is massively strong, in fact holds the weight of the rider while going down a hill at 40mph, does a 9mm flexy alluminium tent pole perform the same way? I don't think so!

thats a nice tarp. what is it?
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

HobbesOnTour wrote:
Gattonero wrote:
20D fabric with 1500mm HH, plus a square shape means "dry summer time only". That thing won't stay up in winds, and water will pool on the top.

I wasn't actually advocating this contraption :D

Frank

good man! 8)
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

mercalia wrote:...

thats a nice tarp. what is it?

It's a 10x8 tarp, a bit overkill for one person though you get very good protection and lots of space. TBH, could have done better than what shows there, but hey you get a lot of floor space -especially if you do one side much longer- and altogether with a bivy bag you get complete rain protection while carrying 7-800gr tops and very little space (all fits in a 3lt drybag).
The downside is that you don't get bug protection, so it's a no-go for some areas/seasons

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/tarps ... WE103.html
I got one that was 50% off and still came with a useful (and amusing) DVD with plenty of tips how to setup a tarp. Though this is some good material and very well made, I think you can get less expensive tarps :wink:
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

How well do those sorts of tarps work in windy conditions (especially swirling gusty winds)? They look very open (on one side anyway) to me.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

gloomyandy wrote:How well do those sorts of tarps work in windy conditions (especially swirling gusty winds)? They look very open (on one side anyway) to me.

A cone-shape is actually very good deflecting wing, much better than geodesic tents with poles that are meant to flex.
There are ways to make a tarp fully enclosed, still the best option is to avoid a windy spot in the very first place. This is especially true for a cyclist, to ride another 2 miles for a more sheltered spot is almost always possible, while on foot 2 miles walking do take some time and more energy.
When using tarps is important to find a good location, there will also be wind coming from the sides, and you want to avoid pitching very low (as I did) to avoid excessive condensation
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

the trouble with tarps can be draughts at the bottom. My Kitley tarp tent has storm flaps at the edges so in principle can weigh them down with stones etc, assuming the ground is flat. And becuase it is also a tent can be closed to keep away many of the flying bugs
Attachments
tarp tent
tarp tent
nsew

Post by nsew »

AD6123DF-574F-4A45-8549-111643005D66.jpeg