1man tent plus bike

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
jack1

1man tent plus bike

Post by jack1 »

Hi,does anybody know of a 1 man tent that will house a cycle.?
dnrc

Re: 1man tent plus bike

Post by dnrc »

msr hubba cyclist, or whatever it's called.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Why would you want your bike inside? :?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

It's no longer a one man tent if you can get a bike inside!

Why would you want the bike inside?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

I can think of two reasons to want the bike inside. One for security and second just to keep it dry.
If it's just to keep it dry then a "tarp" to extend the tent to cover the bike. If for security then think about whether you want the bike upright or lying flat. Removing the wheels will reduce the area or hight. Turning the bike over to rest on the bars/saddle will add stability in the upright position.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
robing

Post by robing »

How about one of these? The bike is the tent!

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/produc ... -bikamper-
hamster

Post by hamster »

robing wrote:How about one of these? The bike is the tent!

The problem is that it ends up so compromised that it's a pretty dreadful tent...for example what happens if you ride off to the pub...and all to save 200g for two poles... :?
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

jack1 wrote:Hi,does anybody know of a 1 man tent that will house a cycle.?
It depends on how much of a compromise you can put up with. If your cycle can stand upright, I suppose you might invert it, then there are tents that you could put your machine inside and then hang the inner in the remaining space. I have done this as an experiment with Hilliberg Unna/Niak just to see if it is possible. It works, but the remaining space could be a little uncomfortable. I was interested to see if it was possible if I end up in a dodgy place. I'm not worried about keeping the machine dry because it gets wet when riding it anyway, so night rain isn't going to harm it further.

As for the Topeak design - if you have mudguards it is likely you'd have to remove the front one. Not exactly practical.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I keep looking at this and don't want to be facetious, but isn't a one man tent plus bike just a 3 man tent...............or am I missing something?

Measure space you need (1man), then measure space for bike, depending how you want to store it and then you have size. Look for tent in that size. It certainly won't be called a one man tent.

Many years ago when I bought my last tent, I marked out size on the floor of the different options to get a "feel" for them. You could do this in reverse, ie mark out size you need and don't forget height and access..
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

A few years ago I purchased a 2/3 man tent with large vestibule basically as an option for cycle touring without B+B's. I wanted the space to keep a cycle out of sight and the tent itself was dark green, another plus point. So it's sitting awaiting it's use at some point and it was cheap in a field and trek clearout.

At the time I'd looked for a vaude monolith but that was discontinued, then I looked at terra nova duolite tourer.... very nice but outside of my price range for it's use. The style of both of these may be too big for what you are looking for but I've searched for the current equivalent and found this as closest if it is of interest, 2.75kg minimum weight so not enormously heavy.

http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-and-spares/all-tents/hoolie-2-etc-tent/ May be of interest to others and maybe for those travelling as a couple.

The vestibule would accommodate a bike perhaps with a wheel removed. Price may be high but not eye wateringly so.

Edit: this is not 1-man plus a tent but would be 1-man plus all panniers/kit inside tent comfortably plus bike hidden in vestibule. Plus it keeps options open if you ever chose to travel with another.
robing

Post by robing »

I can't see why you would want to put your bike inside. It will get wet anyway when you are cycling :roll:
Plus there are other ways you can secure your bike.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

get a Brompton then you tcan store it in the tent.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Yes i used to think that clever. For a few minutecs.

But i don't think you'd be camping in it for more than an arrive late/leave early.

And no bike rides to the pub of an evening as has been pointed out upthread.

As to the bike getting wet outside, it won't come to any great harm surely?

Folk do i believe leave their cars outside in the rain.

You can always relube the chain in the morning.

Any truth in rumours that the normally excellent topeak has addressed concerns about its first biketent with a new model which uses your left leg as a ridgepole?
Sweep
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

dnrc wrote:msr hubba cyclist, or whatever it's called.
MSR Hubba Tour 1

https://www.elitemountainsupplies.co.uk ... 1-tent-fp/

There's a Tour 2 as well.
Aushiker

Post by Aushiker »

hamster wrote:

The problem is that it ends up so compromised that it's a pretty dreadful tent...for example what happens if you ride off to the pub...and all to save 200g for two poles... :?

+ 1 That is my thought every time this time and thier like is suggested. Seems to a pretty impractical idea to "protect" the bike.

Mind you I don't get the "protect the bike from the rain" reason for such a tent either. What do you do when it rains when you are riding?
Last edited by Aushiker on 26 Nov 2017, 4:13am, edited 1 time in total.