1man tent plus bike

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Gattonero

Re: 1man tent plus bike

Post by Gattonero »

mercalia wrote:the trouble with tarps can be draughts at the bottom. My Kitley tarp tent has storm flaps at the edges so in principle can weigh them down with stones etc, assuming the ground is flat. And becuase it is also a tent can be closed to keep away many of the flying bugs

If you pitch that low, even a double-wall tent will suffer more of condensation. Ventilation is essential, and that's why double-wall tents should have the bottom of the inner fly of solid fabric, to stop draughts-
I'm ok with single-skin tents or tarps, and pack a very small bivy (it's as big as a can of Pepsi) in case the wind becomes strong and/or cold
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
AnyOtherName

Post by AnyOtherName »

nick12

Post by nick12 »

The extension for the msr hubba looks good. Not cheap but makes it a base camp or good storage space. Ideal for cooking . Stephen peel is using the same for his round the world trip.he likes the tent. Its on my short list too.
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

I believe my Luxe is a direct copy of the MSR Hubba and that has been superb so far - quick, easy, light, solid, reasonably small pack, useful little bit of porch space. Bought from a generous soul on here for what I now realise was an absolute steal, thank you that man!

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Which luxe is that then? Probably cheaper too. Do you think the hubba porch will attach to the luxe or do they do one too
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

nick12 wrote:Which luxe is that then? Probably cheaper too. Do you think the hubba porch will attach to the luxe or do they do one too

I think it's a Habitat nx3
http://www.luxeoutdoor.com/eng/catalog- ... fpath=/173

Can't see why they wouldn't play nicely together!

This seems to be the best place to get info on Luxe, that I've found anyway:
http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/products/WF133.html

Looking closer I think mine may be the earlier, slightly smaller Habitat 2...

elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Getting back to original question, I think if I was buying again I'd look at the Luxe Sil Hex Peak F6a (catchy!) with the V4 solo inner nest. Sure it's been mentioned already and I reckon that it fits our OP's brief pretty perfectly!

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shelters-1/WF130.html

Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Gattonero wrote: and pack a very small bivy (it's as big as a can of Pepsi) in case the wind becomes strong and/or cold

What's that bivi gatto. Do you have a link?

My bivi is a Brit army thing so of course is anything but small and light. And it is far from small. Inclined to think that the army encourages squaddies to double up to preserve boidy heat. It is pretty good but may be inclined to get a lighter one for more flexibility when tent touring.
Sweep
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Sweep wrote:My bivi is a Brit army thing so of course is anything but small and light.

You might have hit on the solution there Sweep - something with enough space to sleep with your bike and gear safely tucked inside! [emoji6]

Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Sweep wrote:
Gattonero wrote: and pack a very small bivy (it's as big as a can of Pepsi) in case the wind becomes strong and/or cold

What's that bivi gatto. Do you have a link?

My bivi is a Brit army thing so of course is anything but small and light. And it is far from small. Inclined to think that the army encourages squaddies to double up to preserve boidy heat. It is pretty good but may be inclined to get a lighter one for more flexibility when tent touring.

it's the SOL Escape lite.
http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/SOL_Escape_L ... gK_RPD_BwE
Bear in mind a couple of things:
-for a start, it can be found a lot cheaper, especially in US :wink:
-it's not meant to last forever and need to be used with care as any "ultralight" thing, it won't rip easily but you never know some people may think to use it as a Hammock!
-the material is soft and fairly quiet, nothing like those noisy "space-blankets" that can be very annoying
-as opposed to the Mylar "space blankets", the material won't tear all along, it's fairly strong and can be mended very well with common Gaffer-tape (in fact, you won't be able to remove the tape!), so any problem can be sorted right away
-though showerproof, but I won't take the risk of using it alone under constant rain (bump it up with a small tarp), the HH rating is about 1000mm
-it's ok for people up to 5.9-6ft normal bodies, big guys and tall people will be tight in there (but then, why looking to shave 100gr in a bivvy bag), I am 178cm (5.9) and 75kg (12 1/2st?) and I with a sleeping bag can move and roll inside with no problems
-does not have a hood (though can be modified) or zip, there is the normal "Escape Bivvy" with zip&hood and is only slightly heavier and bulkier
-the reflective material WORKS in reflecting the body heat, it does not substitute insulation and if you sleep "cold" it's not a self-warming stove, but for normal people it does indeed work in reflecting the body heat
-I can sweat a lot, but the material is breathable enough and I have not found myself with condensation enough to be a problem, but this varies a lot between different people
-it does pack down very small!
and in comparison with the standard Escape bivvy with hood&zipper

In a nutshell: it's ok as a Bivvy-bag alone for 2 season use or when it's not raining hard. It can be used proficiently in 4 seasons to "bump up" the heat if the weather it's colder then expected.
My opinion is that it's the best thing when used with a tarp: blocks the wind, blocks all the humidity and any spillage/backsplash from the tarp, and reflects the body heat. Being so small and light, it's a good thing to carry along, it works very well for the purpose.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Many thanks for the time you took over that gatto but I'll stick to my army thing for now. A bivi that isn't good for much in the way of rain sounds kinda point less to me.

Thanks again.
Sweep
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Sweep wrote:Many thanks for the time you took over that gatto but I'll stick to my army thing for now. A bivi that isn't good for much in the way of rain sounds kinda point less to me.

Thanks again.
Got me thinking about one as an extra layer between sleeping bag and army Bivvy though, mostly for my better half who does sleep cold.

Second the thanks for the thorough review!

Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Sweep wrote:Many thanks for the time you took over that gatto but I'll stick to my army thing for now. A bivi that isn't good for much in the way of rain sounds kinda point less to me.

Thanks again.

It works for me, as I've used another Bivvy that was very waterproof but found myself drenched from condensation inside, so could be equally pointless? If rain is forecast or has suddenly come and is going to stay, even the best and most waterproof Bivvy bag out there I won't rely exclusiverly on it >>>> find a better place to sleep or carry a small tarp (and groundsheet) :)
To be fair I've not tested "this" SOL bivvy under sustained rain like the other, it may actually be good but I didn't want to take the risk of getting my sleeping bag damp again.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Tis true that my army bivi bivi does have condensation issue. That's why i don't bivi for days n end.often just between tent camps when I can air the sleeping bag. i always use a groundsheet. I do have two tarp but have yet used them 8in the field.

Something for the New Year
Sweep
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Gattonero wrote:
If you pitch that low, even a double-wall tent will suffer more of condensation. Ventilation is essential, and that's why double-wall tents should have the bottom of the inner fly of solid fabric, to stop draughts

Ventilation is a two-edged sword. Yes, you'll get more condensation than without it, but on the other hand it'll be warmer inside. There's a lot to be said for ventilation that can easily be shut off, and that's more the case as conditions get more "interesting".

It's also the case that on a cool, still night with 100% relative humidity everything will be dripping in the morning however well ventilated your tent is.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...