R values of mats

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
mercalia

R values of mats

Post by mercalia »

hmm here is an advert ( sales advert ) that coincidently gives the R values of various Thermarest mats - cant say the air filled ones come out very well compared to my MondoKing? Even if the R values are US ones. So seems like the only virtue they have is their weight? or lack of?

https://www.hillanddaleoutdoors.co.uk/brands/thermarest.php
PH

Re: R values of mats

Post by PH »

mercalia wrote: So seems like the only virtue they have is their weight? or lack of?

The virtue of my mat, Synmat UL, is that it's superbly fit for purpose. I sleep comfortably all the times I've used it, it packs small and is reasonably light. I don't know what the R value is, but if it failed on any of my criteria, I'd be looking for a different mat. If that meant carrying something heavier, or more bulky then I would, but carrying something heavier and bulkier that added nothing to my nights sleep would be pointless. YMMV
PrinterJohn

Post by PrinterJohn »

We'll put, I have a Thermorest self inflating mat filled with foam and a Thermorest Neoair air filled mat. The foam filled one often gives me a bad back after sleeping on it, the air filled one always gives me a good night sleep. For my wife it is the other way round. So basically whatever you find best is the one you should use.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

PrinterJohn wrote:We'll put, I have a Thermorest self inflating mat filled with foam and a Thermorest Neoair air filled mat. The foam filled one often gives me a bad back after sleeping on it, the air filled one always gives me a good night sleep. For my wife it is the other way round. So basically whatever you find best is the one you should use.

well the trick with the foam filled ones is to let out a bit of air when you lay on it - so have the valve at the head - one reason by the 4" mondoking is such a winner, I suppose with thin foam filled ones there isnt much air to let out?
meic

Post by meic »

So seems like the only virtue they have is their weight? or lack of?

Yes, that is what we are paying the premium for, low weight and small volume.
Yma o Hyd
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

mercalia wrote:hmm here is an advert ( sales advert ) that coincidently gives the R values of various Thermarest mats - cant say the air filled ones come out very well compared to my MondoKing? Even if the R values are US ones. So seems like the only virtue they have is their weight? or lack of?

Bulk as well as weight: a Neo Air takes up about half the space of my old Ultralite T-Rest. And while this wouldn't apply to the MondoKing, the Neo-Air is quite bit comfier than the lightest self inflators, especially sleeping on one's side, just from being quite a bit thicker so your down-side hip doesn't ground out. My old Standard Long (probably about equivalent to a Trail Lite these days) is thick enough to avoid this issue, while my Ultralite isn't.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

mercalia wrote:hmm here is an advert ( sales advert ) that coincidently gives the R values of various Thermarest mats - cant say the air filled ones come out very well compared to my MondoKing? Even if the R values are US ones. So seems like the only virtue they have is their weight? or lack of?

https://www.hillanddaleoutdoors.co.uk/brands/thermarest.php

It depends a lot on the person sleeping!
Just like sleeping bags, they aren't "warm" themselves but simple retain the warmth generated from the body -and prevent the cold from reaching it!- up to a certain degree, for which a given "universal value" is only an indication.
Some people can generate decent heat while sleeping, some don't. I seem to fall in the first category, though I always have cold hands and feet, but I'm fine sleeping on 0ºc with a pad that has a rating of 3.something.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
hamish

Post by hamish »

I have a Thermorest Neo Air All Season SV and both the weight (650g) and r value (4.9) seem pretty good to me.... It's certainly warmer than anything I have had before. I bought it to replace an Expedition Synmat UL that delaminated. The Exped was no warmer but slightly comfier due to vertical baffles not horizontal. It was slightly lighter too. Shame it delaminated.