mercalia

Re: Snugpak ionosphere

Post by mercalia »

they have an interesting matress -

https://www.station13.co.uk/store/p41/UltraPad
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Interesting that after all you are after the same thing Ankling.

The gossamer does look interesting and I'll accept the assurances above that, despite its name, it is tough.

Suppose I thought the ionosphere would be tough because of it's pedigree. And it does seem to get good reviews from its users.

Hamster - ever compared the build quality of the gossamer and ionosphere?

Does the gossamer use pre-bent sections? I gather that the ionosphere doesn't and, as long as the tent is designed appropriately, must admit that I prefer this.

Both of those tents use DAC poles which is good.

Will check out respective dimensions of the two tents.

Don't care if getting in and out is a bit tricky, not exactly simple in a bivvy.

Spose the other thing I liked about the ionosphere, and it's related to the valid point that you wouldn't want to use it for an extended trip, is that if you are spotted by a landowner, it basically announces to him/her that you won't be sticking around much beyond dawn/no more than one night.

I like bivvying, and have done it in fields, grass verges, other places, but so far have been lucky in that I've had no overnight rain.

I wouldn't want to put my Lodge 2 dome. or Vango Spirit 200 plus tunnel, up in someone's field unnanounced. Seems more presumptious somehow.

That bivi/tent you linked to is interesting ankling, though must admit that I don't know anything about the pedigree of the folk behind it.

Will probably make a decision on this early in the new year after I have checked out again a small Coleman tent which I don't live with - it's always possible that I already have what I need.
Last edited by Sweep on 28 Nov 2017, 7:11pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Two PS points.

Jack Wolfskin - I read one review which said that it was extremely hard/almost impossible to get enough tension in the pitching to stop the two skins touching because of a sag between the poles - and that this caused water transmission. Ever had this hamster?

The hydrostatic head on that find of yours seems rather low top and bottom ankling.

Any views on this?

From the dbt review here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/customer-re ... OR8YYH4NDM

he reckons that the ionosphere actually has more effective internal room than a two man Vango Banshee.

Worth pointing out as well that that reviewer says that he hardly notices the weight even when carrying it on his back.

1.5 kilos definitely doesn't concern me on a bike. I fairly recently lost 10 kilos off myself.

18 pegs he says!!!! though I suppose it will effectively be erected long before you get the 18th in.
Sweep
nick12

Post by nick12 »

It seems to get some decent reviews .would like to see one in the flesh. I had a look at a banshee 200 at weekend and 300. The 200 was so tight 300 i would class as a one man and tackle. So agree there .
Some decent pegs and a small ground sheet will help
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Oh, about the question upthread

The Ionosphere appears to be available for £132.
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

instead of getting one of those coffin things why not get a sheet of the foot print I mentioned else where and use that on top and underneath a bivvy bag and a mat, wrapped over? 12' by13' just £6 I think I said. It would cover you and some and not in any way restrict your movementand possibly even put your bike on its side under neath it. easy to set up 10 seconds?

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=118402
Sweep

RRe: Snugpak ionosphere

Post by Sweep »

I already have a tarp for underneath mercalia. And two tarps for up above. And even an army poncho which in extremis can become a small shelter. But am wondering whether a tent bivi might be better. Rain protection, particularly of my head, no need for trees, ability to camp out in the open, and actually faster to erect. Must admit i also like the ionosphere's colour. Some green tents actually look a tad lurid and therefore apart from maybe being more visible, possibly also send a message to a farmer, "hey i'm stealing a night's kip in your field". Have the idea that the ionosphere might instead send the message that i'm mad or sad or dangerous. All could be useful.
Sweep
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
nick12 wrote:It seems to get some decent reviews .would like to see one in the flesh. I had a look at a banshee 200 at weekend and 300. The 200 was so tight 300 i would class as a one man and tackle. So agree there .
Some decent pegs and a small ground sheet will help

You will find I.M.O. that good head height adds feeling of space and good floor space is wasted without sitting height.
The banshee 200 is a poor design in this case.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
hamster

Post by hamster »

My experiences of the JW Gossamer:
1 The poles are pre-bent. The sections are so short that the whole thing still wraps into a decent roll, the bend isn't noticeable.
2 The groundsheet is thick and tough, made of a much heavier cloth than most nowadays.
3 I've not looked at an Ionosphere - not around when I bought my JW.
4 It's a bit of a wriggle getting in as it's the corner door; not my preference.
5 Add two or four extra pegs - it enables the outer to be pitched a little further off the inner. Tension along the length of the tent with the guys is also worth setting carefully.
6 Water transmission isn't a big issue as the inner is all mesh. Mine has proved totally waterproof, even in torrential thunderstorms - I hadn't expected it to be that good considering the price.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

thanks for the feedback hamster.
One to consider.

Wriggling in doesn't bother me as it will be a sometime replacement for a bivi arriving/.pitching very late/leaving at dawn - getting into a bivvy in a field isn't exactly decorous either :)

edit - re that corner door, sort of similar to the ionosphere, not necessarily all bad, Some tents of that sort of format have a long side entry door. But I think they can have issues with water entering the sleeping area if you get in during heavy rain.

By adding extra pegs I assume you mean to pegging points that are already provided on the tent?
Sweep
hamster

Post by hamster »

Sweep - good question on the pegs. Indeed it's to the existing points. The lack of pegs means that 'out of the packet' the outer and inner share a peg. Adding a couple of extras allows the inner to be pulled a little from the outer and also to be tensioned independently. The existing setup works OK - the extra pegs simply make it better.

The Gossamer is on the dividing line between a bivvy bag and a tent - compared to a bivvy bag it's massive and spacious, by tent standards it's tiny. The nearest equivalent was a 1950s US Marines issue tent I had as a kid. For a sneaky overnighter it's excellent.
Last edited by hamster on 4 Dec 2017, 1:32pm, edited 1 time in total.
radek

Post by radek »

Hi,

I own the ionosphere. I have not used it in real world conditions yet, but this month I am taking it for 2-3day cycling trip in Scottish highlands. Then, I can let you know how this 3 season tent performed in winter :) I am also taking a 3x3 tarp to put over the tent, just in case if it snows or is very windy.

My first impression is that this tent quite specious inside. I am over 6.2 tall and there is plenty of room for me. Changing inside is easy. It packs nicely and I can hang it on the front handlebar. Pitching it is super easy and fast. The rain fly feels indestructible ! You can use the mesh on its own which would give you a great view on the night sky, or you could have a ultra light weight tarp over it. Just now, I am very happy with the tent, but we will see how it performs in the real world.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Many thanks for your reply Radek.

PLEASE DO report back here on your trip test of the tent.

I am seriously interested in it for special purpose trips. Have one coming up in February it may be useful for.

With regard to size, yes the vids I have seen do make it look quite roomy considering that it is so inconspicuous/furtive.

I think it is a bit longer than the jack wolfskin gossamer. Not mega longer but I have the feeling that it might make a big difference with such a small tent when you are trying to get your vital stuff inside with you.

In advance of your in-the-field report can I ask why you bought the tent in the first place, for what type of trip, and what other tents if any you considered before getting it?
Sweep
radek

Post by radek »

Well, I wanted a tent that is simple, light weight, very strong, very stealthy and very versatile so I could take it for any type of bicycle tour. Most importantly, I wanted a tent that is long enough to accommodate my height !!! In my old tent my head was touching the inner wall which was VERY VERY annoying.

My first choice would be the Hilleberg Akto, but I did not want to spend £500 on a tent. I also liked the looks of Catoma Badger, but this tent was still too pricey.

In the end, I narrowed down my search to two quite different design tents: First, the ionosphere and secondly the ALPS Mountaineering Mystique 1.5.

Both tents are longer than the jack wolfskin gossamer. Ionosphere has enough space for me and my 3 year old daughter, but it is a tight squeeze. If I remember correctly ALPS tent is taller and provides even more space than the ionosphere, but it has much lower hydrostatic head. ALPS has vents and ionosphere uses gaps under the flysheet. ALPS has a small plastic window and porch !!! However, ionosphere has a clear mesh and I cannot wait to sleep in it without the rain cover so I can watch the night sky :) Then, the Alps tent was only available in horrible orange color :?

I think that buying a tent is a very personal choice. For example, I find spending too much time in a tent as claustrophobic and thus I want to use tarp as my living room. Tent will be my bedroom and a place for reading a book before sleeping. I want to cook and keep my dirty panniers, dirty shoes (in a plastic bag !!!) and bicycle under the tarp. I am also hoping that tarp and ionosphere will provide me with a multitude of configurations that I can experiment with :D

Will this plan work ? I am hopping to find out soon and will keep you posted:) I am taking a camera with me so I may even make a short video or post some photos :) Here is the link to my tour planning post: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=118391 . I have posted a photo of my bike with the tent and tarp attached.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

many thanks radek.

Look forward to your future reports :)
Sweep