Snugpak ionosphere

Post by Sweep »

As in here:

http://www.snugpak.com/military/ionosphere-2604

And here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9fctkjDqqPA

A fair few other youtube reviews.

Anyone used one/got any views?

I am not planning on using it as a "coffin tent" (not into them) but as an alternative to a bivvy when i do one or two night trips/dashes.

It looks like it is smaller to carry than my army bivi, clearly better if it rains, and pretty much as easy to wildcamp/hide in. Definitely smaller to carry than a bivi and tarp and faster to set up.

So, any views?
Sweep
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Snugpak ionosphere

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Bananas :!:

The chap in video probably was still in nappies when I was walking the Pennine Way solo with my blacks "Pacific Crest" all in one twin alu pole all nylon tent, which would take less than three minutes to erect and was a two man too.
My Eureka spitfire @ 1.5 kgs and even tiger paws proaction @ a shade under 2 kgs make that poor excuse for a shelter look definitely last melinium :) Both my solo tents have full sitting height :!:

Snugpak have a reputation in the past for specing weights which are grossly misleading especially sleeping bags.
The makers do the rounds with constant loops of minilimistic weights to the point of failure, then its back to this seasons colours.
There must be hundreds of solo / coffin stealth tents out there but only a handful are really practical.

Please lets not discuss windy flappy tarps in this post which will always require a warmer sleeping bag with waterproofing too :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

sorry ankling you have lost me amidst all your emoticons.

You don't really give any very specific criticism of the ionospehere.

I'm not looking for fukl sitting height, since I'm thinking of something in place of a bivi.

In any case I don't need full sitting height in any of my tents since I camp solo and won't be getting up to anything from the Kama Sutra in them.

Nor, when solo getting myself into the yoga lotus position.

This season's colours? It's army green and I thought it always had been. You telling me the army has had/is about to unveil a makeover?

What's with the bananas?
Sweep
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
OK, sorry for the quips.

1.5 kgs and you can't sit up either.
Whats the point of having less headroom with same weight of a lesser cheaper brand tent?

Lots of these type of thing look good on paper, but not in the flesh.

The video posted- you can see what a crawl it is to get in.
States time to erect inner, but not time to finish?
I put it on vid as 2 mins 20 secs to just erect the fly, that's not that quick.

Compared with a eureka spitfire its probably the same time to erect, but what are you getting from the snug pack apart from the 1.5 kgs that makes it practical?

If it was 1 kg then great but its not, at 1.5 - 2 kgs you expect sitting height at least.
My views.
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

What are the supposed benefits compared to a lightweight tent? My two-man Terra Nova Laser – twelve years old – is lighter than that, and more recent ones are lighter still. It takes four minutes to put up, three to take down and pack away. The similar Terra Nova Zephyros is significantly cheaper, and only 100g heavier. Why wouldn't you choose something like that?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

hmm thats a dog s h i t e tent in that all the rummaging around on the ground you will find any thats around :wink: I dont see any point in that "tent" , if you need a shelter thats the last type I would want. My single single skin Kelty tarp tent makes more sense and has plenty of room inside, not as warm as a real tent but bivvying is all a bit rough neck?. I see the price for the coffin is £170, not cheap either. If you wait until next spring or warm days you can come around and look at my Kelty erected and see what you think, as it dont take much time to put up
hamster

Post by hamster »

The Jack Wolfskin Gossamer is almost identical and rather cheaper.
I'm pretty pleased with mine as an overnight shelter - it's just on the tent side of a bivvy. It's well made, tough and so compact that you can pitch it unobtrusively almost anywhere.
However I wouldn't want to have to live in it for any sustained time, it's too small and the Terra Nova Voyager comes out instead.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

I'd say it doesn't add up either. For a fiver more you could get a Trekkertent Stealth which is much lighter and gives you a lot more room, and wouldn't be significantly harder to find a pitch for.

I can see a place for the sort of thing you linked to, but not at that price and weight to be honest. If I was paying for/carrying that much I'd want a bit more space and comfort.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks for the (frank!) Views so far. Others welcome.

What attracted me to it was its sheer unobtrusiveness a la a bivy but with added protection.

I stress that i am not after more room for once you go down that path you end up with another tent.

And it would only be used for trips of 1 or 2 nights, essentially a long bike ride with kips in between to extend the ride.

Panniers and bags (fully waterproof) can be kept outside, as they are now when bivvying.

But will look at alternatives.

PS - worh maybe pointimng out that the price i the real world is less than may be indicated in my initial link.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

ps - just looked at that "stealth".

PJ - actually significantly more expensive in real world availability.

And in truth doesn't look that stealthy at all to me - more like a tent.
Sweep
nick12

Post by nick12 »

How much is it in the real world then sweep? I would take a small plastic sheet to kneel down on to aid access. For the odd night it would be ok. I have a similar size shelter for overnight trips and the sites to pitch up are plentiful.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Sweep wrote:ps - just looked at that "stealth".

PJ - actually significantly more expensive in real world availability.

And in truth doesn't look that stealthy at all to me - more like a tent.

That's because it is a tent! I'm not particularly suggesting you should get one, but more hoping to illustrate that in the same price range you can get more space and lower weight. If you don't want the more space (to camp in more space-limited places) then fine, but I don't see why you need to put up with the weight, or alternatively the cost (as noted, the simlar Jack Wolfskin one is much cheaper at the sameish weight).

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
What you are after I am looking for too.
I want a quick bivvy that is large enough to store gear by your side, so wide, has an entrance that is supported and high enough to sort of semi sit, so you can do basic things like get dressed if its tipping it down outside, but lighter than a tent.
For lightweight touring, stop at sunset or dark and climb in.
Tough one, I can see me using a wide bivvy bag with a modified entrance like a igloo on the end?

Lighter than a solo tent, sub 1.5 kg.
Green / stealth colour.
Small footprint with minimal guys.
Quick to erect.
I imagine single skin, will need good vents.

There are bivvys around like that but expensive and lack storage I think, and touching tent weight, but pricey.
Something at say £100 and ticks those boxes would be a winner for sure.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
What you are after I am looking for too.
I want a quick bivvy that is large enough to store gear by your side, so wide, has an entrance that is supported and high enough to sort of semi sit, so you can do basic things like get dressed if its tipping it down outside, but lighter than a tent.
For lightweight touring, stop at sunset or dark and climb in.
Tough one, I can see me using a wide bivvy bag with a modified entrance like a igloo on the end?

Lighter than a solo tent, sub 1.5 kg.
Green / stealth colour.
Small footprint with minimal guys.
Quick to erect.
I imagine single skin, will need good vents.

There are bivvys around like that but expensive and lack storage I think, and touching tent weight, but pricey.
Something at say £100 and ticks those boxes would be a winner for sure.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kelty-Range-Tarp-One-Size-Green/262948729478?epid=1174650015&hash=item3d38f73286:g:j0AAAOSw5UZY-7GM
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Blazer is just 1.5 kgs with alu poles and pegs @ £53.90 posted! Not full height of the best but 91cm is good. Add titanium pegs to 1.43 kgs.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/GEERTOP-Lightw ... 4V1M5NA6DZ

Worth a look-
https://www.station13.co.uk/lightweight ... tents.html
Attachments
Impossible shape to beat I.M.O.
Impossible shape to beat I.M.O.