Best Lightweight sleeping bag/ good quality.

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
jack1

Best Lightweight sleeping bag/ good quality.

Post by jack1 »

Hi,looking for best (Lightweight) Sleeping Bag) going France/Spain. May1st-June27th ???? Thanks.
andrew_s

Re: Best Lightweight sleeping bag/ good quality.

Post by andrew_s »

PHD Minim 300
https://www.phdesigns.co.uk/minim-300-d ... ing-bag-m1

I'd pay the £41 extra for a full length zip, for added versatility when it's warm
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Assuming you're not a vegan or allergic to down, down probably best option for light weight and low bulk. The PHD Andrew pointed out is at the premium end of the market (as you can see by the price), but you'll get a significant percentage of "as good" for considerably less, especially if you look second hand too. A lot of that will depend on how much of an issue money is.

As long as it's looked after, a down bag can/should last for decades so second hand is, if you can find the right thing, sometimes well worth going for.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Best of the lightweight range I have ever tried is by far the Yeti. Small packsize, well made and warmth to weight extremely high.

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... -bag-p3080
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
PH

Post by PH »

jack1 wrote:Hi,looking for best (Lightweight) Sleeping Bag) going France/Spain. May1st-June27th ???? Thanks.

Is it just for the one trip? If so you can hire a top quality one for around £50. If it's going to get further use, you should choose with that in mind.
If you're looking for good value decent kit, Alpkit have a good reputation for most things other than stock levels, though they are apparently getting better at that.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Going by my own personal experience rather than the say so of others, I think Alpkit was one of the poorest sleeping bags I have used. Not very well made and lots of cold spots.
PH

Post by PH »

bikepacker wrote:Going by my own personal experience rather than the say so of others, I think Alpkit was one of the poorest sleeping bags I have used. Not very well made and lots of cold spots.

Which one, there's about 20 in the range?
Mine, no longer made so no point in a personal recommendation, was fine, though I decided mummy sleeping bags weren't for me.
I don't have your vast experience of camping kit, it usually take me a couple of attempts to work out what suites me and when I have buy something that lasts decades.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

pjclinch wrote:The PHD Andrew pointed out is at the premium end of the market

That's what an unqualified request for "best" gets you, in most things. :)
It's on their Winter Sale at present too (you'd normally have to pick 200 or 400, or go for the custom option).
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

andrew_s wrote:That's what an unqualified request for "best" gets you, in most things. :)

‘Best’ was what I took from the OP question and answered with the best one I have ever used. Hence the Yeti recommendation.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Me too, hence the PHD.

However, I'm not sure your linked Yeti would necessarily be suitable for the stated parameters - i.e. early May onwards. The blurb says the lower comfort limit is 12°C, and it's quite possible that temperatures could be lower than that if the weather isn't cooperative early on, or at higher altitude in the Pyrenees. Jack1 could also sleep cold.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

I used the Yeti for two weeks in Scotland at the end of October last year and never felt cold. For me the main draw back was the slimmer size and mummy shape. Normally if I am going to very cold conditions I still like my old Rolling Clouds down bag. Suits me but wouldn't fit into the 'best' category.
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

jack1 wrote:Hi,looking for best (Lightweight) Sleeping Bag) going France/Spain. May1st-June27th ???? Thanks.

No limit on cost?

A little more information i.e. terrain you will be using it in and ALTITUDE at which you will be sleeping, would be desirable.

I just realised you are the same chap who asked about 1 man tents that could house a bicycle :lol:

I suppose your bike could be Brompton, but some how I doubt it.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Well done Ivor.

You highlight one of my biggest bugbears on this forum. People answer the question, without really knowing the question.

Spain and France are big countries with very varied climatic conditions. I have cycled over the Pyrenees in snow in May, while I guess that people were in shorts and tee shirts on the Costas.

I would advocate that the first responder just asks a few questions to fill in the gaps. This allows the OP to provide all information necessary before answers are given. It also shows that the OP is actively engaged and keen to get an appropriate answer.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

I'd stay away from down for summer use unless as mentioned it's cold otherwise they stink up pretty quickly, weight saving over practicality is less with 2 season bags.

if you are starting out then a combination of a 1-2 and a 2-3 season bag setup will give you full flexibility. the US miitary works that way now. it also means you can split the bags in your luggage.

the karrimor Global Traveller 1100 is a pretty good 2-3 season bag I was fine in a UK september in it, dries quick and packs reasonable small.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

crazydave789 wrote:I'd stay away from down for summer use unless as mentioned it's cold otherwise they stink up pretty quickly

They do? The main reason I like a liner in a down bag is to keep it clean. I'm more interested in that in summer as I'm more likely to be sweaty (or if it's sea paddling, encrusted in salt and sun cream), but as long as you use a liner and keep that clean I don't see why this should be much of an issue.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...