Simple compact thermometer

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Sweep

Simple compact thermometer

Post by Sweep »

Can anyone recommend one?

I intend to test myself and my kit this winter, tent and bivi and want to check what I have slept through.
Please note that i do not use a smartphone. Am looking for actual temp measurements, not a forecast.
Sweep
mercalia

Re: Simple compact thermometer

Post by mercalia »

well my Lidl speedo/mileometer has one built in, about as small as you can get? - maybe yours has also. I find it useful to keep an eye on how cold it is when riding and been shocked how cold it has been here even in London

rather you than me. I know what the "test" would tell me about me. I will be thinking of you ( on Xmas and boxing day) while I am stuffing my gobhole.

I did bivvy out in March I think it was this year over along the Lea & Stort I think it was about 6C. Thing to watch out for is the cold bivvy bag sucking heat from your legs and cold feet. Cold feet I think the main issue: The rest of me was warm
softlips

Post by softlips »

Buy a small green house max/min thermometer.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

softlips wrote:Buy a small green house max/min thermometer.

aren't they a bit big? Am looking for something I can ram in a pannier. And with nothing to break post ramming.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mercalia wrote:well my Lidl speedo/mileometer has one built in, about as small as you can get? - maybe yours has also. I find it useful to keep an eye on how cold it is when riding and been shocked how cold it has been here even in London

rather you than me. I know what the "test" would tell me about me. I will be thinking of you ( on Xmas and boxing day) while I am stuffing my gobhole.

I did bivvy out in March I think it was this year over along the Lea & Stort I think it was about 6C. Thing to watch out for is the cold bivvy bag sucking heat from your legs and cold feet. Cold feet I think the main issue: The rest of me was warm

I don't use a speedo of any sort any more mercalia. Seem to remember being on a ride few years ago with someone whi had a Lidl thermometer speedo and not being too convinced by its readings.

Have no fear, Christmas Day and Boxing Day I'll be doing the same as you.

Planning to bivi at the end of February though. Feet will be be well protected. And head.
Sweep
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Sweep wrote:
softlips wrote:Buy a small green house max/min thermometer.

aren't they a bit big? Am looking for something I can ram in a pannier. And with nothing to break post ramming.

Little led circular jobbies on eBay from China are a couple of quid or so.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

have seen a few.

Do you have a link?

are they reliable?

accuracy to a degree will be fine.

Need it to be tough.

And obviousky to be able to survive a sub zero temperature or it's all a bit pointless :)
Sweep
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Sweep wrote:Seem to remember being on a ride few years ago with someone whi had a Lidl thermometer speedo and not being too convinced by its readings.

Such things tell the temperature of the speedo, not the air temperature, and it doesn't take all that much sun to give false readings.
Should be OK for overnight tent temperature though.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Indoor- ... 0005.m1851

Take two, pack in tiny ziplock bags.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

hufty

Post by hufty »

I too am a big fan of a max/min thermometer, more to record higher temperatures so I know what I've been sweating through but also good for calibrating yourself against sleeping bag manufacturer's claims. You just have to pick one off ebay that you like the look of - it won't last forever but they're not expensive.

For what it's worth this has been my favourite style for compactness - the sucker comes off:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solar-Power- ... SwpRtZecmF
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Try any outdoor shop. Usually the size of a large stamp with wind chill converter on the back. Mine date from the mid 80's.
hufty

Post by hufty »

Just to point out that a lot of the suggestions aren't min/max thermometers, which the OP would need to record what he/she slept through...
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Does a simple compact max-min exist?
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Just tested my speedo temperature gauge. Currently on tour in Indonesia. On nias island. In the shade the temperature reads correct at 31* C. After just 5 minutes in the sun the unit read 44* C.