My/Your tent needs

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
nick12

Re: My/Your tent needs

Post by nick12 »

Thats a good price. The uk price does seem expensive. Be interesting to read your review when tested
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Btw, they do a slightly cheaper version, with PU/Silicone fabric that is about 200gr heavier and -35USD, in december it worked out 110 British Pounds (139 now)
https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/collecti ... ar-solo-le

I was lucky to have a friend that is in US and will be back in March, just in time for the season to be in full swing. In the meantime I will use, likely next month, the Trekkertent Stealth1 with its solid fabric inner, pretty good in bad weather though the addition of the inner tent makes it a bit cramped :(
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
robc02

Post by robc02 »

I use a Tarptent Moment, the original single skin type, for cycle camping. Mine has the optional breathable liner - it's like adding the roof, but not the walls, of an inner tent. So it's a halfway house between a single skin and a double skin tent. It has sitting room (I'm 6ft) and enough space (just) in the porch for a couple of panniers and basic cooking gear.

It uses a single hoop pole and just two pegs - though I have added a supporting guy to each side of the hoop for a bit of extra stability in a breeze. Either way it is very quick to put up and take down - this was a major part of its appeal to me when I bought it (second hand from someone on this forum). I've used it for a number of UK summer (so sometimes quite wet!) tours and have been very pleased with it. I normally use commercial campsites, and ones that are fairly sheltered at that. If I planned to camp in windy and/or exposed locations I might prefer something with a few more guying points.

https://backpackinglight.com/orsm09_tarptent_moment/

The Moment has now been replaced by the Moment DW (Double Wall).

For car based camping I often prefer to use a very old Ultimate The Tent, a double A Frame sleeved pole design. Very robust and reassuring, but a bit heavy for solo cycle camping (about 3.7kg I think).