Outer tent only

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
roberts8

Outer tent only

Post by roberts8 »

My son has called my bluff about cyclecamping this summer, warm days only, and brought me a eurohike Dlx backpacker tent.
I was thinking of using just the outer with a plastic groundsheet to cut down weight and give a bit more room inside.
Does anyone else do this and if so is it worth it?
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Outer tent only

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Midges :(
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Maybe put your sleep system in a bivi bag. Rotten luck if your sleeping bag gets wet. I like the fresh air but these days I just take a tarp if I’m using my bivi bag.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Midges or mosquitos could be a problem, depending on where and when you go, but I'd reckon that the most likely problem would be condensation getting your sleeping bag etc damp.

You can get condensation in anything (even a tarp), but a down-to-the-ground outer tent like the DLX makes it more likely. If you use the inner tent, it will mostly stop you brushing your sleeping bag against the wet outer, and fend off any drips that fall from the upper part of the outer.

Condensation is fairly likely any time it's fairly clear and there's little wind. If there's a dew, it's almost inevitable.
If you only go for a weekend, a bit of dampness isn't a problem, especially with a synthetic sleeping bag, but over time it can build up. If you get the chance, dry out and air the sleeping bag over the top of the tent, best done just after you've put it up.
drossall

Post by drossall »

That tent's not remarkably light, but I'd use it as it is, see if you enjoy cycle camping, and think about upgrading later. Packed size is as important as weight - by the time you've got the bike, you and all your camping kit, the odd half kilogram won't matter that much. It's when you start upgrading everything to save weight and volume that the tent has to do its share of the saving.
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

Thanks for the sensible replies.
I will go with the tent as it is and keep kit to a minimum and take it from there.
Generally I travel light so minimal is not a problem.
My thoughts are Cherbourg when there is a good forecast in the summer and enjoy.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

since its all your sons fault then take him along and let his bike carry the tent?
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

roberts8 wrote:My son has called my bluff about cyclecamping this summer, warm days only, and brought me a eurohike Dlx backpacker tent.
I was thinking of using just the outer with a plastic groundsheet to cut down weight and give a bit more room inside.
Does anyone else do this and if so is it worth it?

Many times I've used only the flysheet of my tents. But I haven't encountered midges or lots of insects to deal with! Even tho, I always carry a couple of small sachets with insect-repellent wipes

It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I used to own a tent I used on the Pennine Way and West Hilland Way back in the early eighties.
It was a four season tent sewn in one double skin two hoop, I could erect it in 3 mins.

One day I made the mistake in camping near a farm but on the side of the road on a grass verge, it was low land.
Took me a whole 40 mins to get tent up, I should of moved on :? The only part that was not bitten by midges was under my briefs!
Any where that's damp attracts flying stuff normally.

On Dartmoor once above about 1500 feet the horse flies no longer bite and don't see any midges either at this elevation.

Gattonero - glad to see the fly is a 360 and not a wind tunnel :mrgreen:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:On Dartmoor once above about 1500 feet the horse flies no longer bite and don't see any midges either at this elevation.

Cornish midges perhaps the low altitude model. I've been quite thoroughly Lunched Upon while doing a rock climb (so I couldn't run away) on the Inn Pinn, and that's a Munro summit so over 3000'

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Heltor Chasca wrote:Maybe put your sleep system in a bivi bag. Rotten luck if your sleeping bag gets wet. I like the fresh air but these days I just take a tarp if I’m using my bivi bag.

yes I think thats the way to go with cycle camping
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:...
Gattonero - glad to see the fly is a 360 and not a wind tunnel :mrgreen:

I always choose a sheltered place to start, better spend a few more minutes to choose the right spot than having to relocate in the middle of the night. You can pitch that fly lower&wider and it deflects winds very well, less headroom but could shelter two people in a pinch.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...