New MSR tent

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
foxyrider

New MSR tent

Post by foxyrider »

Just had an email flier that introduced a new MSR Freelite which is just over a kilo in weight. The interesting bit though is the optional half interior - essentially a bucket groundsheet with a minimal wall at one end that weighs under 250g.

Could this be the answer to the outer only dilemma - take this and gain some of the benefits of an inner whilst dumping most of the weight?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
pjclinch

Re: New MSR tent

Post by pjclinch »

foxyrider wrote:Just had an email flier that introduced a new MSR Freelite which is just over a kilo in weight. The interesting bit though is the optional half interior - essentially a bucket groundsheet with a minimal wall at one end that weighs under 250g.

Could this be the answer to the outer only dilemma - take this and gain some of the benefits of an inner whilst dumping most of the weight?

But crucially in Scotland at least that would mean without the midge netting. So that's a no from me, but it would be better than just a groundsheet if it's excess water that's the problem.

This sort of thing has been available in the custom aftermarket for a while from setups like Ookworks (e.g., http://oookworks.com/oooktubs.html), but custom will quite possibly cost more than MST would want and one-man-bands aren't always entirely reliable timekeepers when you want a product ASAP

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Surely this stuff is more aimed at Mountain Marathoner's, where just one night and minimum weight might mean a win or not by seconds?
Theres not that much going for it is there?
Ok fly only use is what you expect at the price.
For now my Spitfire at £75 (£110 now) with 1 M internal hieght and 1.5 Kgs 3 season.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Surely this stuff is more aimed at Mountain Marathoner's, where just one night and minimum weight might mean a win or not by seconds?
Ok fly only use is what you expect at the price.
For now my Spitfire at £75 (£110 now) with 1 M internal hieght and 1.5 Kgs 3 season.

The attraction (for some) will be the mid step between double skin and just fly. There seem to be a lot of fly/tarp conversations on here so there is obviously some sort of market. There have been trips where it would have been good for me to have something like this, OTOH it's often a case of compromise on camping trips so whether i'd actually rely on it, not sure.

I for one am willing to spend more than you on my kit, so it's not your thing, doesn't mean others can't see mileage in it.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

The true MM Purist wouldn't want to waste time with an upturned groundsheet edge, especially as with teams of 2 it would mean you'd need a bigger groundsheet. Also you need to check the rules carefully, so e.g. the OMM requires "Tent with sewn in groundsheet" which you might be pushing the boundaries a bit with this. So I think this is aimed at the outdoor person who likes a lighter pack (much as the "aerospace composite" poles will reduce weight at the expense of some strength).

I'd put this as a light solution for boggy ground, of which there is much in the UK... Bathtub groundsheets are popular for good reason, even if they're rarely necessary.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
PH

Post by PH »

foxyrider wrote:Just had an email flier that introduced a new MSR Freelite which is just over a kilo in weight. The interesting bit though is the optional half interior - essentially a bucket groundsheet with a minimal wall at one end that weighs under 250g.

Interesting tent even with the full inner, it seems the difference between that and the fast version is mostly the mesh and a zip, I can't see anywhere that says how much weight is being saved but I suspect it isn't enough to tempt me.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:...

They've similar inner dimensions of floorspace, however the MSR has less headroom but a more usable space overall as it doesn't peak in one point.
Not a big fan of 15D fabrics!
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...