Multifuel Stoves - Advice and Recommendations please.

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
JackRabbitSlims

Re: Multifuel Stoves - Advice and Recommendations please.

Post by JackRabbitSlims »

Warin61 wrote:
JackRabbitSlims wrote:
Warin61 wrote:It is possible to fly with a fuel stove ..

I wont be flying with any Fuels :)
Will sort all that out on arrival in country.

Of course. Fuel is a no no.

But you can take the stove with you, if you want ... provided you comply with the airline requirements.

Does this apply only to Multi Fuel stoves??
I've flown with Trangia, Pocket Rocket and Fuel Bottles (empty of course) many times both International and domestic - never been an issue.

Plan to buy the Multi Fuel stove (online) use it here in NZ for a bit and then take it on the Bike Trip.
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

International requirements for 'dangerous goods' includes liquid fuel stoves - any liquid fuel stove;
https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr ... 23A-en.pdf
5th item on page 1.

Solid and gaseous fuelled stoves don't have any regs that I can see.. provided you don't have any fuel then they should not be a problem.

Note the old regs required that liquid fuelled stoves were free of the smell of fuel - packed in absorbent material and inside a sealed plastic bag. No requirement for written permission back then. Think that goes back some 20 years at least. I have never had the stove examined .. but I complied with the regs anyway. I have had my tent and pegs looked at for dirt/bugs on incoming. But the stove has never been questioned in either direction, outgoing checkin people were told to check for camping stoves .. but they are usually rushed and probably targeted people with obvious backpacks.
JackRabbitSlims

Warin61 wrote:International requirements for 'dangerous goods' includes liquid fuel stoves - any liquid fuel stove;
https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr ... 23A-en.pdf
5th item on page 1.

Solid and gaseous fuelled stoves don't have any regs that I can see.. provided you don't have any fuel then they should not be a problem.

Note the old regs required that liquid fuelled stoves were free of the smell of fuel - packed in absorbent material and inside a sealed plastic bag. No requirement for written permission back then. Think that goes back some 20 years at least. I have never had the stove examined .. but I complied with the regs anyway. I have had my tent and pegs looked at for dirt/bugs on incoming. But the stove has never been questioned in either direction, outgoing checkin people were told to check for camping stoves .. but they are usually rushed and probably targeted people with obvious backpacks.

Thanks for the link.

As above, it's never been an issue for me, but I've always made sure my Cookers and Fuel Bottles are very clean and well aired out before flying....I also split the parts between my luggage as I have heard / read that some items can been confiscated by airline / airport staff on inspection / scanning.

We have VERY strict boarder control here in NZ and when re-entering from a cycle tour or trekking trip they always want to see my Bike Tyres, Camping Kit, Trekking Boots and Poles etc etc, so I'm always vigilant with my clean down of all my kit before flying home.
Twice they have taken my tent, poles and pegs away to be inspected :)
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

JackRabbitSlims wrote:We have VERY strict boarder control here in NZ and when re-entering from a cycle tour or trekking trip they always want to see my Bike Tyres, Camping Kit, Trekking Boots and Poles etc etc, so I'm always vigilant with my clean down of all my kit before flying home.
Twice they have taken my tent, poles and pegs away to be inspected :)

Australian quarantine have cleaned things that were too dirty. They appeared on TV with some members of the Indian Cricket Team whose gear had to be cleaned. Last time I was through from England ... they checked my boots .. clean as new due to English rain, on main roads for a day so that nicely cleaned off the mud. :lol:

And yes luggage is screened before flights .. looking for anything dangerous.

-------------------
The written permission thing is 'new' to me for flying with a liquid fuel stove... QANTAS has a pdf form to fill out somewhere on their web site. Possibly other airlines will do the same. Never had that before. And having now gone with gas I don't have the bother.
stephenjubb

Post by stephenjubb »

hufty wrote:Dusting off my standard advice here: get a Svea 123 and enjoy a hot meal every time. It's not a multifuel stove as it only runs on petrol but you're really not going to have a problem finding petrol I promise. No pump to go wrong, no filter to clog. Someone will post that it will gum up and everybody in a 100 mile radius will die if you don't use Coleman fuel whatever that is, but ignore this armchair traveller's bs. I have only ever used petrol and never had a problem. Thank you for reading.

Agreed on above, Coleman fuel does not work well with my Primus OmniFuel or OmniFuel Lite.

Turps and White Spirits are better at a fraction of the price of Coleman Fuel.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

stephenjubb wrote:
hufty wrote:Dusting off my standard advice here: get a Svea 123 and enjoy a hot meal every time. It's not a multifuel stove as it only runs on petrol but you're really not going to have a problem finding petrol I promise. No pump to go wrong, no filter to clog. Someone will post that it will gum up and everybody in a 100 mile radius will die if you don't use Coleman fuel whatever that is, but ignore this armchair traveller's bs. I have only ever used petrol and never had a problem. Thank you for reading.

Agreed on above, Coleman fuel does not work well with my Primus OmniFuel or OmniFuel Lite.

Coleman Fuel is petrol without the numerous additives included to add lubrication etc. to the inside of car engines. I don't run my MFS on petrol or Coleman (paraffin/heating oil as a friend has a good supply) so I'm not speaking from experience, but it's these various car-engine-specific extras that are thought to gum things up over time.

I would be worried if a petrol-capable stove didn't work well with CF though, because it's... petrol. Not working well with it would say more about the stove than the fuel.

It is insanely expensive in the UK, but overseas (especially N. America) it ought to be available without mortgages.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
JackRabbitSlims

stephenjubb wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

Are you happy with your Primus??
stephenjubb

Post by stephenjubb »

JackRabbitSlims wrote:
stephenjubb wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

I use an OmniDawg (https://www.shapeways.com/product/2D4XZ ... fuel-stove ) on the omnifuel, it is this part I think does not work well with Coleman Fuel. With the omnidawg it really is quiet.

On Gas it uses a lot - to be expected on a multi fuel.

In short I love the omnifuel, it is longer to setup, but I camp at unusual times of year when gas can be hard to find, so it is great that I can use so many types of fuel.

For short trips a dedicated gas stove is better outside of winter.

I have a outback oven, so I can cook pizza on the omnifuel and it is very quiet and I can simmer on low.

The OmniLite however, I also have an omnidawg, but with it being smaller, I have never gotten it to be reliable unlike the omnifuel - shame it is a lot smaller.

I just love cooking anything and no hassle of finding fuels, downside is the setting up of the stove and safety as to be a priority. But there are always tradeoffs for any benefit.
JackRabbitSlims

stephenjubb wrote:
JackRabbitSlims wrote:
stephenjubb wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

I use an OmniDawg (https://www.shapeways.com/product/2D4XZ ... fuel-stove ) on the omnifuel, it is this part I think does not work well with Coleman Fuel. With the omnidawg it really is quiet.

On Gas it uses a lot - to be expected on a multi fuel.

In short I love the omnifuel, it is longer to setup, but I camp at unusual times of year when gas can be hard to find, so it is great that I can use so many types of fuel.

I have a outback oven, so I can cook pizza on the omnifuel and it is very quiet and I can simmer on low.

The OmniLite however, I also have an omnidawg, but with it being smaller, I have never gotten it to be reliable unlike the omnifuel - shame it is a lot smaller.

I just love cooking anything and no hassle of finding fuels, downside is the setting up of the stove and safety as to be a priority. But there are always tradeoffs for any benefit.

Thanks for the reply - I appreciate it :)
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

stephenjubb wrote:

As long as you have a propane mix canister, in winter too. Where liquid fuel (particularly multi-fuel) really scores is (as is the case here) where you can't be sure you'll have access to gas but motor vehicles or oil lamps are likely.

I saw a talk a few years ago where someone was doing a ski expedition well beyond habitation in the Himalayas. I was very surprised to see they used gas... but since all the fuel had to be cached or carried in any case, because no people means no petrol or diesel just as much as no gas, it actually made sense. This was used for all cooking and snow melting for water far higher than anyone's likely to be riding a cycle tour!

I don't know about recent ones, but the original Primus Multifuel (previous version of the Omni, but doesn't do diesel) had the "official" instructions (the ones laregely written in pictograms that tell you you're Doomed if you cook inside, etc.) supplemented by a booklet about real-world use for Actual People written by a mountaineer. His stated opinion was that if it's practically possible, gas every time. Cleaner, safer, easier to control. This is why my MFS comes out rather rarely (it does gas, but not as well as a dedicated gas stove, and it's heavier too).

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
JackRabbitSlims

pjclinch wrote:
stephenjubb wrote:

As long as you have a propane mix canister, in winter too. Where liquid fuel (particularly multi-fuel) really scores is (as is the case here) where you can't be sure you'll have access to gas but motor vehicles or oil lamps are likely.

I saw a talk a few years ago where someone was doing a ski expedition well beyond habitation in the Himalayas. I was very surprised to see they used gas... but since all the fuel had to be cached or carried in any case, because no people means no petrol or diesel just as much as no gas, it actually made sense. This was used for all cooking and snow melting for water far higher than anyone's likely to be riding a cycle tour!

I don't know about recent ones, but the original Primus Multifuel (previous version of the Omni, but doesn't do diesel) had the "official" instructions (the ones laregely written in pictograms that tell you you're Doomed if you cook inside, etc.) supplemented by a booklet about real-world use for Actual People written by a mountaineer. His stated opinion was that if it's practically possible, gas every time. Cleaner, safer, easier to control. This is why my MFS comes out rather rarely (it does gas, but not as well as a dedicated gas stove, and it's heavier too).

Pete.

Thanks for contributing Pete.

I'd like to try and pick up some gas when I arrive in Delhi (if anyone knows of any outdoor / camping stores in Delhi, please let me know) otherwise, I have read that Fuel (Diesel / Petrol) and Kerosene are the most likely to be available from Shimla onwards.
I know there are shops selling gas in Manali and leh :)

Cheers.