Hammocks

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
RodT

Hammocks

Post by RodT »

Has anyone used a hammock, or a hammock plus tarp, instead of a tent? I'm thinking of trying it in France this year. My main reservations are the lack of privacy and the inability to change sleeping position.
Thanks for any comments.
paddler

Re: Hammocks

Post by paddler »

Hi Rod,

I've never used a hammock, although I have got one! But on the Appalachian Trail many people used one and without exception they said it was the best nights sleep they had. I think they would all have been the asymmetric types like Hennessey. As for privacy, unless you had a really large tarp, as far as I could see there wasn't any. Getting the insulation right underneath you is one of the problems apparently.

There are some good hammock forums if you search.

Dave
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I bought a cheap hammock just for lounging around in and take it when I go camping as it beats sitting on the ground. fun. If you want a hammock and not a tent you need to also get an under blanket or atleast a hammock in which you can put mat. I seem to remember some one did a weight comparison and when it was all added up there was no weight advantage over a tent
neilwragg

Post by neilwragg »

I’ve done multi day tours using both and unfortunately there no easy answer! I chose either depending on the trips, weather forecast, location and time of the year. If you are staying at campsites you’ll probably end up on the ground under or on you’re flat hammock as I not yet found one in the right place at the end of the day’s ride that has let me tie my bed to their trees whereas a tent will work in a corner of a field behind a wall as well as every campsite. The hammock has worked well when wild camping in woods on steep slopes but I can end up spending a fair bit of time finding a suitable place to hang.
On the flip side they are really very comfortable and, compared to a tent of similar weight and pack size, ten times cheaper. I’d suggest to look at DD Hammocks website and purchase something to test out.
Please read the forum rules : NO commercial spam on this FORUM.
hamster

Post by hamster »

I use a Hennessey hammock and tarp.
The key thing to understand is that it is not a Royal Navy 'sleeping like a banana' arrangement. The hammock is longer and slacker so you sleep flat and diagonally across the bottom. This is how hammocks are used in South America. As a result you can roll over and sleep on your side too.

The Hennessey is great wherever ground is sloping, uneven or otherwise unsuitable. You do lose heat through the back so a mat is essential in anything other than the balmiest summer nights.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

The only problem is if you are rather tall, to find one long enough
nick12

Post by nick12 »

I have a dd superlight jungle hammock and 3x3 multicam tarp. Superb quality . The webbing tree huggers are a good way of attaching and make adjustments real easy. I also use the snakeskin for easy packing. Set up right it is very comfortable. I use a piece of insulation which is aluminium foil on a thin foam backing. Which is very light and enough insulation for April to September. Slip it in between the two layers and it stays put. I only use the hammock for wild camping so privacy isn't a problem. Two anchor points usually trees 4 to 6 meters apart are all you need and the campsites are endless. No need for flatground.. The jungle hammock can be used as a bivi as well . The tarp if required can be setup in several different positions offering various styles. I also carry a pole which I have made from 4 x 30cm lenghts (120cm) which means you can make a superb and spacious tarp tent for use when hanging spots are not available. You can check all the setups out on dd 's website via their easy to follow tutorials. There maybe other manufacturers out there just as good but dd are definitely quality. I have several different tents as well so I don't always use the hammock depends on where I'm going weather and such like. Not used it in the winter carrying the under blanket ontop of everything else seems a bit much to me but each to their own I'm sure some people will do it and that's great certainly there's no problem with condensation which can be a problem in the winter. The tarp is good for cooking under . I also take a 6x3 tarp for a ground sheet to sit on and to put under the hammock to keep your feet clean when getting in and out. The full setup weigh's about 3.5 kg. Which is more than my tents. I also have a cheap hammock from aldi cost a tenner very light and small. Comes in handy. Recently used it on a ferry in Indonesia tied to the railing.i was the only person on board who had a bed. And used it in the jungle in Malaysia as a seat while cooking my lunch. A good bit of kit.
RodT

Post by RodT »

Thank you all for prompt and thoughtful comments. I've been looking at TW hammocks and they make some interesting products, backed up by an informative site.
I've concluded that there is little or no weight-saving to be had, but that going the hammock route would be considerably cheaper. Bearing in mind the comment about campsites sometimes not liking hammocks slung from their trees, and the fact that I've already got a tent, then taking one to France might not be a good idea. Wild camping, however, would be a different proposition.
Thanks again for your comments.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

RodT wrote:Thank you all for prompt and thoughtful comments. I've been looking at TW hammocks and they make some interesting products, backed up by an informative site.
I've concluded that there is little or no weight-saving to be had, but that going the hammock route would be considerably cheaper. Bearing in mind the comment about campsites sometimes not liking hammocks slung from their trees, and the fact that I've already got a tent, then taking one to France might not be a good idea. Wild camping, however, would be a different proposition.
Thanks again for your comments.

on the other hand a cheap £10 one dont add much to a tent set up and in weight and could be a use full addition for those balmy warm afternoons/evenings when you are camping and feeling lazy and want to doze the day away?
drossall

Post by drossall »

I did winter camp with the Scouts last week, and one Troop was using them. They were perfectly warm and comfortable, I gather - with mats as above. Our Scouts are quite keen to try.

I guess that, if I were thinking of taking one on a tour abroad, I'd do a test night or two at home first.
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Just been looking at the tw hammocks. Seem reasonable quality and cheaper than the dd but have not seen one in the flesh

. The £10 hammock with smaller karabiners and rope at 600g is worth putting in a pannier if you have space.
neilwragg

Post by neilwragg »

drossall wrote:I did winter camp with the Scouts last week, and one Troop was using them. They were perfectly warm and comfortable, I gather - with mats as above.

Was that the Feb Freezer camp? We were there but in tents! I’d have thought the Scouts would have froze on the first night unless they used under blankets, the mats don’t give enough warmth underneath as you need to trap a layer of warmed air beneath you, the second night though was about 10 degrees warmer.
A lot of us just use Down under and over quilts so have the hanging kit paired right down but this is the problem using the hammock when the temperatures are around freezing, I’ve found you need more kit than if using a tent so whilst I’d have a comfier nights sleep in my hammock I still have to weigh up whether to pack my MSR one man tent, bag & mat or my tarp, bivvi, bag & mat or hammock, tarp, under quilt & bag/top quilt.

I also have a 40 year old restored British folding caravan but might need a super e-bike to go cycle touring with that!
I say buy them all and have the choice 😃
Please read the forum rules : NO commercial spam on this FORUM.
drossall

Post by drossall »

No, it was a small District event. Temperatures a little above freezing, but our hammock users didn't seem bothered either way.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

nick12 wrote:Just been looking at the tw hammocks. Seem reasonable quality and cheaper than the dd but have not seen one in the flesh

. The £10 hammock with smaller karabiners and rope at 600g is worth putting in a pannier if you have space.

I bought a cheap "parachute silk" one that came all the way from china post free for less than £10. I replaced the cheap and nasty ropes etc with the webbing from DDHammocks, so all in price was less than £20. During last years summer I spend a few very snoozy afternoons in my local park ( streatham common ) trying it out. The parachute silk ones use stronger material than the DD ones. In future will be part of day kit when I go for a cycle as often there are a couple of trees where you can have a rest should be inclined :P Some are advertised as double size, they are the ones to get

this is the one I got , cost s a bit more now

https://www.gearbest.com/other-sports-gadgets/pp_1118542.html?

there are lots like this and cheap and they are fine but the round rope does need replacing with better material like the webbing from DDHammocks - their stuff does really stick to the trees :D

https://www.ddhammocks.com/product/strong-webbing?from_cat=29

is easy to use just thread it thru the hammock ends no dubious knots then wind it around the tree trunks and do a shoe lace knot
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

I use a DD Travel hammock and their large multicam tarp (4m x 4m) for short tours of up to a couple of weeks. It's much easier to find a wild camping spot because you don't have to worry about uneven ground and with a multicam tarp even just a few metres into the woods from a roadside you can be completely hidden. In Belgium a couple of years ago it took me FIVE HOURS to find somewhere suitable to wild camp with my tent, and after a hard day's ride in 40 degree C heat. With a hammock I would have been banging out the ZZZs in less than ten minutes. This is my primary reason for considering hammocks.

I do prefer a tent for the convenience of being able to sit up and do stuff (cook, write, watch movies etc) and not be bothered by bugs, especially on long, multi-month tours. Ideally I'd carry a tent AND a hammock on my next big one; the tent for campsites, the hammock for the wild, which is an option if you multi-month tour with a trailer, as I do. I haven't decided yet if the extra bulk and weight will be worth it. Maybe if I bought the ultralight options?

Comfort-wise, I don't think there's much difference. Just to stretch out in a hammock is more comfortable, I find, but to sleep in one is a different matter; there's a lot more faffing with getting into the sleeping bag, and I also use a liner and reflective bivvy bag in cold weather to compound the swearing. Depending on the model of hammock you buy and the type of hang you determine through experimentation, you can lie on your side and switch sleeping positions.

I use my Thermarest NeoAir Camper sleeping mat in the hammock - does the job, but I imagine buying the dedicated DD underblanket and quilt would make ingress and egress a lot easier. I think hammocks come into their own in warm weather.

Privacy on campsites could be an issue, but with the 4m x 4m tarp you can completely enclose the hammock so it is almost like a tent.