Crockery

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
crazydave789

Re: Crockery

Post by crazydave789 »

for decades I've carried foldacups and now have two sizes.

I've got some white plastic plates from birds eye microwave sunday dinners probably from the late 80s and still going stong at home or outside. I've never had them but my mum used to eat them so they must be 30 years old IMO as I'll have picked them up off her.

I first packed them in my webbing for helicopter handling believe it or not. but they don't break and weight nothing.

the other staple was the vitalite margerine tub with lid, cheapo tupperware or a big bowl - I used to get those off dad so again the ones I've got in my box must at least 15 years old although I think I have a 25 year old one as well.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

crazydave789 wrote:for decades I've carried foldacups and now have two sizes.

I've got some white plastic plates from birds eye microwave sunday dinners probably from the late 80s and still going stong at home or outside. I've never had them but my mum used to eat them so they must be 30 years old IMO as I'll have picked them up off her.

I first packed them in my webbing for helicopter handling believe it or not. but they don't break and weight nothing.

the other staple was the vitalite margerine tub with lid, cheapo tupperware or a big bowl - I used to get those off dad so again the ones I've got in my box must at least 15 years old although I think I have a 25 year old one as well.

What has the age got to do with anything?

Just curious
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
hodge

Post by hodge »

foxyrider wrote:

Just curious

Environment friendlyness; the microwave birds eye plastic plate and the vitalite tub would have originally been regarded as throw away items. Crazydave's successful re-use of these over many years shows how reckless/wasteful the throw away attitude was (or sometimes still is).
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

hodge wrote:
foxyrider wrote:

Just curious

Environment friendlyness; the microwave birds eye plastic plate and the vitalite tub would have originally been regarded as throw away items. Crazydave's successful re-use of these over many years shows how reckless/wasteful the throw away attitude was (or sometimes still is).

OTOH why buy stuff in plastic in the first place?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

foxyrider wrote:
hodge wrote:
foxyrider wrote:

Just curious

OTOH why buy stuff in plastic in the first place?

the point being is that I didn't buy anything to get what I needed and they served much better than things I might have paid for if they were available.

and age is everything.