Lightweight Sleeping Bag suggestions

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Rosso

Lightweight Sleeping Bag suggestions

Post by Rosso »

Hi All

Apologies if this has been covered many times over, but I'm looking for lightweight sleeping bag options. I tried using the search function, but could not find any recent posts apart from the aldi stuff.

6ft tall, predominantly UK cycle touring April - October & generally feel cold at night.

Looking for a Down - Mummy.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (any current offers would be a bonus).

Cheers.
irc

Re: Lightweight Sleeping Bag suggestions

Post by irc »

Budget? if money not too much of an issue the PHD sale has a Minim 350 rated to -2C. I find the PHD ratings generous so the Mininm 350 should be a good bag for a cold sleeper April - October.

It's £275 (for standard size) so not cheap. You can choose different lengths and widths and zips though. At 6ft3 and 16 stone I find the long wide bag a nice loose fit. Loose enough I don't need a zip to get in and out. Loose enough I can wear more layers any time I want to boost the rating.

You are getting a absolutely top class bag for your money. If I fitted a standard size bag I'd need to think carefully about the cost but getting a bag that fits perfectly makes all the difference.

At 6ft I'd tend to go for a long size. Standard goes to 6ft but for a very small weight penalty it's worth having a bag long enough that the down isn't compressed at head or foot when right inside and wearing a hat in cold conditions.

https://www.phdesigns.co.uk/minim-350

On a tighter budget if you are skinnier than me the Alpkit bags are worth a look.

This one has 500g duck down so same ballpark temperature rating as the Minim 350 (350g top class goose down). 300g heavier and won't pack quite as small. Around £100 cheaper though.

https://www.alpkit.com/products/skyehigh-500
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

If money no object look at the Yeti range. You will not find better. https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... 1/yeti-m72
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Rosso

Post by Rosso »

Thank you very much for the prompt reply & advice. The PHD looks good. I have a 42 inch chest & weigh 13 stone & would contemplate standard width?
With zip? Half or full? Or wide, without zip to 'pull' on?
Rosso

Post by Rosso »

bikepacker wrote:If money no object look at the Yeti range. You will not find better. https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... 1/yeti-m72

Looks great, but perhaps slightly more than I'm willing to spend.

Thanks for the reply.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Rosso wrote:Thank you very much for the prompt reply & advice. The PHD looks good. I have a 42 inch chest & weigh 13 stone & would contemplate standard width?

For fit I'd ask PHD themselves. They know their products better than anyone and have a vested interest in satisfied customers.

As for zips, if there was a no-brainer choice they'd not bother with the options! More zip is more flexible in terms of getting in/out and venting at higher temperatures, but slightly more bulk, weight and cost and a little less efficient at keeping the warmth in. Personally I like a full side zip, but other people don't see the point: you choose, you lose...

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Shuggie

Post by Shuggie »

I have several PHD bags, can’t fault them. Really good company who’ll provide what you need, give them a call, strongly recommended.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels Pro
irc

Post by irc »

Rosso wrote:width?

As Pete says zips are your choice. My Minim 300 has a half zip my Minim 200 has no zip. I prefer the no zip. It's less hassle just shuffling out a bag than fiddling with a zip - as long as the bag isn't too tight a fit.

As for temperature regulation, I don't think a zip is essential. I'd regulate first by clothing. So at the bag cold limit and beyond - wear a thin down jacket, hat, and tracksters and have the back closed right up to my face.

Just cold - T-shirt and maybe thin top and tracksters with head out the bag.

Warm - T-shirt, tracksters, head and arms out the bag.

Hot push the bag down to my waist or just lay it over the top.

As for wide or standard - no harm calling PHD. I'm a 46" chest and find the wide bags plenty roomy. Any wider would be too wide.

According to PHD a 42" chest is the limit for standard width. So maybe Ok with a zip but worth going wide for no zip.

https://www.phdesigns.co.uk/sizing-guide
Rosso

Post by Rosso »

Thanks for all replies, much appreciated.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I would suggest a look at the Ultralight Outdoor Gear website - they are the experts on this stuff. All the above advice is very nice but it's such a personal thing and there are so many options they are heavily biased to each givers requirements and not neccesarily yours.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
irc

Post by irc »

foxyrider wrote:I would suggest a look at the Ultralight Outdoor Gear website - they are the experts on this stuff. All the above advice is very nice but it's such a personal thing and there are so many options they are heavily biased to each givers requirements and not neccesarily yours.

Is that website not a shop? In which case they will have their own bias. Will they recommend anything they don't sell.

As for the OP, he has been quite specific in his requirements. Advice from other bike tourers is probably worth having in addition to shop or manufacturers advice.

After all the requirements are similar for tourers. Compact, light weight, the correct warmth. Balanced against cost, quality.

We don't even need to mention synthetic bags as the OP was specific.

Personally I find user reviews valuable when buying. Often small points are made which would not b e covered in a phone call. I probably research too much but I think advice from different sources is valuable.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I use a PHD Minim 300 full zip, which is fine from a bit below freezing up to summer.
I prefer the full zip, as when it's warmer I can fully unzip it and use it as a quilt, pulled across to suit the temperature. I much prefer this to a waist level bag.
PHD Minim standard fill weights are 200 and 400g. Odd sizes like my 300, and the 350 in the current sale are sale items only, unless you want to pay extra for custom.

An alternative to look at is the Criterion 350, which is a bit lighter and a bit cheaper than the PHD, once you've allowed for the zip.
Criterion is the same as Cumulus. I expect the different UK branding is some trademark dispute.
ossie

Post by ossie »

Its a mine field

The big issue is weight over warmth and packing down size plus of course budget.

I've just had a run in with a major manufacturer who were adverting their down bags at less than the advertised weight. What I received bore no resemblance to the advert.

Decide on your maximum weight and budget....the issue I see is that April UK weather is taking you into 3 season. A lightweight 3 season bag won't be cheap as you've seen.

2 season is a different kettle of fish but in the UK that might give you late May/ early June until early / Mid Sept..
Rosso

Post by Rosso »

ossie wrote:Its a mine field

The big issue is weight over warmth and packing down size plus of course budget.

I've just had a run in with a major manufacturer who were adverting their down bags at less than the advertised weight. What I received bore no resemblance to the advert.

Decide on your maximum weight and budget....the issue I see is that April UK weather is taking you into 3 season. A lightweight 3 season bag won't be cheap as you've seen.

2 season is a different kettle of fish but in the UK that might give you late May/ early June until early / Mid Sept..

Thanks for posting.
If can stretch my budget further, what is your recommendation for a lightweight super warm 3?

If I pay too much attention to weight & compromise warmth, I will just end up taking extra sleeping clothing /lining items ending up in the same weight position or worse .. if that makes sense?
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

[quote="ossie"]Its a mine field

..[j/quote]
Name them please.
Sweep