Dry sack for tent

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Gattonero

Re: Dry sack for tent

Post by Gattonero »

PH wrote:There's loads of choice, I use two of the basic Airlock ones from Alpkit, the inner and fly packing separately.
But if you're wearing holes in the bag, I'd think about either changing the fixing system or getting a tougher bag, Alpkit do some of those as well.
https://www.alpkit.com/featured/dry-bags

+1 for Alpkit stuff, good company too!
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
mjr

Post by mjr »

Gattonero wrote:For my flysheets at 2lt bag is more than enough, I usually sew my own but sometimes I get readily made ones, those Karrimor can be found for cheap and are pretty waterproof

Karrimor are a Sports Dreck store brand now, aren't they?

Summit dry bags are often 3 for £7 in The Range, a pack of 1, 2 &4litre but not as thick as the Karrimor ones so maybe only for in other luggage.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
robing

Post by robing »

PH wrote:
foxyrider wrote:
robing wrote:Thanks, some good suggestions. I guess it's not really a big deal the tent getting slightly wet. It's only tiny holes in the bag caused by the ends of the bungees. The plastic hook bits do have rubber protectors but these always come off revealing the sharper bit underneath. I'll see what the local outdoors shops have - Decathlon, Go Outdoors and Cotswold all nearby.

The problem with small holes in the bag is they could become small holes in the tent!

Indeed, dump the bungees with sharp bits, there's plenty of alternatives like the stretchy velcro linked above, no sharp bits to that.

Good point! I'll look into alternatives to the bungees, good advice, thanks.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

mjr wrote:
Gattonero wrote:For my flysheets at 2lt bag is more than enough, I usually sew my own but sometimes I get readily made ones, those Karrimor can be found for cheap and are pretty waterproof

Karrimor are a Sports Dreck store brand now, aren't they?

Summit dry bags are often 3 for £7 in The Range, a pack of 1, 2 &4litre but not as thick as the Karrimor ones so maybe only for in other luggage.

Good point, though I got them via Ebay who knows what's behind :?
Not sure those are made in UK, but the company looks good and worth encouragement! :D
http://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/3l-ultra ... ml#SID=117
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Lomo do, I think, make them in heavier materials.
Ditch the bungies though. Horrible things with no place on a bike.