Dry sack for tent

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
robing

Dry sack for tent

Post by robing »

I have a Vango Blade 100 tent. No problems with it but the carry sack that comes with it (made of the same material as the fly) has a few holes in it due to tears from the bungees used in strapping it on to my rear rack. Can you get a dry sack eg with the roll top to keep the tent dry so I can attach it to my rear rack?
bikepacker

Re: Dry sack for tent

Post by bikepacker »

Summits Online at one time had different ones in stock, maybe they still do. Outdoor Action also do some: https://www.outdooraction.co.uk/tents-t ... c9EALw_wcB
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Nu-Fogey
PH

Post by PH »

There's loads of choice, I use two of the basic Airlock ones from Alpkit, the inner and fly packing separately.
But if you're wearing holes in the bag, I'd think about either changing the fixing system or getting a tougher bag, Alpkit do some of those as well.
https://www.alpkit.com/featured/dry-bags
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

If you are going through the lightweight fabric most tents come in (certainly the budget end that's Vango's market) then you can get something a lot better shopping around. Any good outdoors / hiking / climbing retailer will stock the standard drybags of which exped make the most commonly sold in the UK.

You can also get better designed compression drybags from podsac IIRC that have an event base which allows air to be compressed out while still being watertight of used correctly.

Then if you feel you went through the supplied bag too quickly then perhaps go for very tough drybags with the resulting weight penalty. The classic example is ortlieb brand. They do various grades and thicknesses of coating. Some are as near bombproof as you can get. I think my ortlieb drybag bought at age 13 is still watertight despite many years of use whitewater kayaking. I'm a lot older now so you're talking decades of life.

Alternatively, Alpkit do some very good drybags out of causing tough Cordura fabric. We use two for across the pannier rack when we tour. A 35 litre with a shoulder strap was really useful. They do a wide range of sizes and they often have lashing down loops ultrasonically welded to the bag too. No affiliation to the company BTW.

So depending on what you really need you can go from ultralight sil-nylon drybags weigh very little through to heavy, very durable and possibly the only truly guaranteed waterproof ortlieb drybags. Certainly they're the only ones with an IP rating for waterproofness and dust resistance I know about.
b1ke

Post by b1ke »

I use an Ortlieb 22ltr dry sack. Has been perfect for all the tents I've used - Terra Nova Laser, Wild Country Burian, MSR Hubba Hubba and a Saunders 2 person (forget the name). £16.50 at a couple of places on the high street/online.

http://www.farewellburt.wordpress.com - Europe on a Tandem....
http://www.thespokeandwords.wordpress.com - West Africa on a Tandem....
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

That's a very good ortlieb sac. About mid range in terms of price, durability, water rating and weight. PD450 IIRC. If the op wants lighter or heavier weight sac then ortlieb certainly makes them.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Tangled Metal wrote:If you are going through the lightweight fabric most tents come in (certainly the budget end that's Vango's market) then you can get something a lot better shopping around. Any good outdoors / hiking / climbing retailer will stock the standard drybags of which exped make the most commonly sold in the UK.

You can also get better designed compression drybags from podsac IIRC that have an event base which allows air to be compressed out while still being watertight of used correctly.

Then if you feel you went through the supplied bag too quickly then perhaps go for very tough drybags with the resulting weight penalty. The classic example is ortlieb brand. They do various grades and thicknesses of coating. Some are as near bombproof as you can get. I think my ortlieb drybag bought at age 13 is still watertight despite many years of use whitewater kayaking. I'm a lot older now so you're talking decades of life.

Alternatively, Alpkit do some very good drybags out of causing tough Cordura fabric. We use two for across the pannier rack when we tour. A 35 litre with a shoulder strap was really useful. They do a wide range of sizes and they often have lashing down loops ultrasonically welded to the bag too. No affiliation to the company BTW.

So depending on what you really need you can go from ultralight sil-nylon drybags weigh very little through to heavy, very durable and possibly the only truly guaranteed waterproof ortlieb drybags. Certainly they're the only ones with an IP rating for waterproofness and dust resistance I know about.

+1 saved me the job! Just to add, Decathlon do a couple of heavier weight bags too but i've not weather tested, I use Ortlieb for waterproof and Sea to Summit nano sil for separating stuff inside waterproof panniers.

My tent 'canvas' lives in a pannier along with the poles, mallet etc so I don't need tough bags or bungees.i'm not bothered about keeping the tent dry, rather keeping a wet tent off other stuff is more important.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I don't bother with dry sacks for the tent. Tents are made to get wet, and they usually are in the morning. Put a wet tent in a dry bag, and you have two issues: the tent may get mouldy, and the dry inner will get wet from the wet outer.
My policy, therefore, is to use the nylon bag the tent came in, and take a small drybag just for the inner. If and when the tent is wet, I take out the inner, and put it in the dry bag. The wet tent and footprint go into the original tent bag. For that, any cheap and sturdy bag will do.
mjr

Post by mjr »

PH wrote:But if you're wearing holes in the bag, I'd think about either changing the fixing system or [...]

This. Bungees move during normal riding, so will slowly worry bags away, not only directly but also where the bag touches anything harder, like a joint on a rack. Upgrade to cam buckle straps and it'll reduce.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
PH

Post by PH »

mjr wrote:
PH wrote:But if you're wearing holes in the bag, I'd think about either changing the fixing system or [...]

This. Bungees move during normal riding, so will slowly worry bags away, not only directly but also where the bag touches anything harder, like a joint on a rack. Upgrade to cam buckle straps and it'll reduce.

I use stretch velcro straps, they're always in the saddlebag and have proved useful for attaching all sorts of odd shaped objects to the top of the rack.
https://www.mpdhookandloop.com/velcro-b ... 1_EALw_wcB
robing

Post by robing »

Thanks, some good suggestions. I guess it's not really a big deal the tent getting slightly wet. It's only tiny holes in the bag caused by the ends of the bungees. The plastic hook bits do have rubber protectors but these always come off revealing the sharper bit underneath. I'll see what the local outdoors shops have - Decathlon, Go Outdoors and Cotswold all nearby.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

robing wrote:Thanks, some good suggestions. I guess it's not really a big deal the tent getting slightly wet. It's only tiny holes in the bag caused by the ends of the bungees. The plastic hook bits do have rubber protectors but these always come off revealing the sharper bit underneath. I'll see what the local outdoors shops have - Decathlon, Go Outdoors and Cotswold all nearby.

The problem with small holes in the bag is they could become small holes in the tent!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
PH

Post by PH »

foxyrider wrote:
robing wrote:Thanks, some good suggestions. I guess it's not really a big deal the tent getting slightly wet. It's only tiny holes in the bag caused by the ends of the bungees. The plastic hook bits do have rubber protectors but these always come off revealing the sharper bit underneath. I'll see what the local outdoors shops have - Decathlon, Go Outdoors and Cotswold all nearby.

The problem with small holes in the bag is they could become small holes in the tent!

Indeed, dump the bungees with sharp bits, there's plenty of alternatives like the stretchy velcro linked above, no sharp bits to that.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

For my flysheets at 2lt bag is more than enough, I usually sew my own but sometimes I get readily made ones, those Karrimor can be found for cheap and are pretty waterproof and it's a good thing as there''s people like me who carry only two bags so everything goes inside, and a wet flysheet is best kept sealed off.

It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...