Your thoughts about the Camping & Caravaning Club

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Graham

Your thoughts about the Camping & Caravaning Club

Post by Graham »

. . . if there is anyone still out there . . . .

I've been trying to plan out an ad hoc, mini-tour to try to get back into cycle-touring.

A sample of campsites near the target destinations leaves me gasping at the price demanded for a solo camper with a small tent. e.g. £17 for a single night.

Is the C&C Club still a provider of simple, quiet campsites for a reasonable overnight cost ?
reohn2

Re: Your thoughts about the Camping & Caravaning Club

Post by reohn2 »

C&C club have "Hideaway sites" in their Site Seeker book which are small cheap sites with basic facilities.
TBH to expect anything below £10 to £12 a night these days is a rarety IMO.
EDIT:- Looking throught the book most Certified Sites are between £8 and £17.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Member price is usually heavily discounted compared with non-members.
Not been a member now for a good few years but did get a bit disappointed as they seemed to favour caravans.
Otherwise you basically know that all sites are up to a good standard.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Graham wrote:. . . if there is anyone still out there . . . .

I've been trying to plan out an ad hoc, mini-tour to try to get back into cycle-touring.

A sample of campsites near the target destinations leaves me gasping at the price demanded for a solo camper with a small tent. e.g. £17 for a single night.

Is the C&C Club still a provider of simple, quiet campsites for a reasonable overnight cost ?

I was a member for longer than I care to remember. Stopped using the sites a couple of years ago because of the extortion of pricing.
Farm sites and other sites are better value and nicer to be on.
Regards,
John

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
Graham

Post by Graham »

Thank you.

The "Have stopped using . . ." comments are significant.

The initial "investment" :wink: to join up is non-trivial.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I had thought about joining them but the membership fee is not cheap?

Alternative possibilities -
some YHA hostels allow camping in their grounds. not as many as there used to be and rather than allow camping they have realised they can charge more for glamping where they supply the bell tents or wooden huts. But there are still a few that allow simple camping and the prices with membership reduction around about £9/night AND you can use the cooking facilities and loos - best of both worlds. If you say where you want to cycle I may be able to tell you what YHA hostels allow simple camping ( or you can look at their website )
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

I was a member for a few years but I never thought I got real value for my membership. A good resource for small campsites is the list done by the Backpackers Club. Also UK Campsite forum has a good search facility: http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:I had thought about joining them but the membership fee is not cheap?....

It's £39 per annum.
If you don't use their sites it's not worth it,agreed.But for someone who does they can save a lot of money.
W H Auden
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

A few years ago, booked on to a Family site

Policy of quiet site after set time......

Unfortunately there was a disco and drinking outside as a party.

Complained to Wardens, who explained that the rules did not apply as it was a Camping and Caravanning Club function.

Never stayed on one of their sites again
pwa

Post by pwa »

I have managed to find out of the way farms around the Brecon Beacons in the past. Facilities in some cases amount to use of the farmyard bog, access to a standpipe, and a choice of any of several fields to camp in, none inhabited by anyone else. Basic but nice. And very very quiet.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Just dont take your horse box. Shame millfor6 pictures have been removed. :(
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=97963&hilit=horse+box
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cunobelin wrote:A few years ago, booked on to a Family site

Policy of quiet site after set time......

Unfortunately there was a disco and drinking outside as a party.

Complained to Wardens, who explained that the rules did not apply as it was a Camping and Caravanning Club function.

Never stayed on one of their sites again

I've never experienced anything remotely like that in the many years we've stayed on C&C Cub sites,infact quite the opposite they're very quiet sites even when busy.
If it did happen I'd complain to the club.
W H Auden
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

As Caravanners we find c&cc good value.
The age concession, which you don’t get with caravan andcmotorhome club, alone repays the membership cost easily.
Next week we’ve just booked 2 adults 6 nights in Clitheroe with electric a total of £100. Compared to some private sites with variable standards it seems good value to us.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

I often use C&CC's own sites as they have a rule to never turn away a cyclist/backpacker, are well-run (albeit large) sites and are good value at £7 - 11ish. You don't need to be a member to use the C&CC sites, but you are supposed to be a member to use the 'certificated' sites, which are by and large the smaller farm sites. However these are people who need to make a living and will often not be bothered by membership of not.
I do agree that camping fees have gone up in recent years, I think these are aimed at large family units wanting the fire-pits, etc., and not the simple needs of an overnight cyclist stop. People needing to make a living again I guess!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
bikerta

Post by bikerta »

I really like a lot of the camping and caravanning club sites and have had good experiences with all that I have stayed on. If you arrive by bicycle, they will always find you a spot and they charge you the backpackers rate. This is usually around £8 to £11 a night. For that you get good facilities. Even if you are not a member the rate is not much more as you save very little on the backpackers rate. I joined last year for the first time to ensure I could get into some of the smaller sites, but to be honest most of them would let you in if you turned up on a bicycle.