Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
softlips

Re: Your thoughts about the Camping & Caravaning Club

Post by softlips »

Never had an issue on any CCC site.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

We joined about 3 or 4 years ago. Last year was possibly the first year we never got more than our membership fees back in savings. We worked out the savings made each camp in their sites for the first two years and camping savings alone we got our money back. Those years also coincided with a fair few purchases at outdoor shops. We asked for discount based on membership of the C&CC which we almost always got. That put us in profit for probably over 10 years of fees.

The benefits of membership for me as a parent with a young child is the known standard of their own sites. Also the certified sites are good. IIRC some sites listed in the big site book are only for use of members. These are usually very good sites indeed.

Membership doesn't suit all but if they do you'll find the membership worth it. For me it's a better organization than yha. At least it can usually get in at one of their sites. The last few years of trying to use yha hostels I could never get a bed they were booked up. Curse if living near the lakes and finding their hostels oversubscribed. Apart from Keswick site I've never been turned away.

Plus they don't threaten quiets sites with closure as a cynical promotion. There's been rather a lot of closures of Lake District hostels for years but not many closed. Kendal got sold, skiddaw went into private hands within the yha then closed. Not sure if many others that closed. Indeed I recall hearing one hostel was under threat despite it being one of those I could rarely get in because they were booked up. Sorry I'm probably being a bit negative here.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Slightly OT

We were cycling the Hull to Harwich and had the luck to be the first customers on a lovely site (Unfortunately no longer there)

The couple asked us how much we thought that we should be charged and provided towels!!!

We chatted away about other sites and facilities and they were reasonable
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

If I was doing more UK camping i'd certainly join - the sites i've used have been great, tents not sent to a far distant corner away from facilities and yes £7 a night as a non member. On private commercial sites i've had to pay up to £25 a night - even York Rally works out more expensive with next to no facilities! They certainly get a thumbs up from me.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Not sent to a far field? One of our favourite sites did just that. It meant we had almost the whole empty field to play games in with our young son. Also it meant at his bedtime there was only an elderly couple anywhere near us so it was quiet.

It all depends on what you want. Each site is different but the basics are the same. Good facilities and friendly welcome. Not all private sites have that ime.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Tangled Metal wrote:Not sent to a far field? One of our favourite sites did just that. It meant we had almost the whole empty field to play games in with our young son. Also it meant at his bedtime there was only an elderly couple anywhere near us so it was quiet.

It all depends on what you want. Each site is different but the basics are the same. Good facilities and friendly welcome. Not all private sites have that ime.

I prefer not to have a ten minute hike to showers!toilets whilst fully equipped caravans/campers are parked directly adjacent. Whilst I don't want to be camped in the toilets I do appreciate being close enough to prevent accidents on the way! Tent only fields are fine but there should be facilities near at hand.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

foxyrider wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Not sent to a far field? One of our favourite sites did just that. It meant we had almost the whole empty field to play games in with our young son. Also it meant at his bedtime there was only an elderly couple anywhere near us so it was quiet.

I prefer not to have a ten minute hike to showers!toilets whilst fully equipped caravans/campers are parked directly adjacent. Whilst I don't want to be camped in the toilets I do appreciate being close enough to prevent accidents on the way! Tent only fields are fine but there should be facilities near at hand.

yes just wait until it rains heavily and you want a leak :lol:
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

mercalia wrote:
foxyrider wrote:

yes just wait until it rains heavily and you want a leak :lol:

I'm a bloke, tent doorway!? :D
RickH

Post by RickH »

We've got a trailer tent & have been members for ages. Sometimes confuses them when I turn up by bike & the system expects me to have a trailer tent :D

I think one of the best was Milarrochy Bay on the banks of Loch Lomond. It was late April (2016) so not crowded & I paid the princely sum of £4.50 for the privilege of staying a night there.

Milarrochy Bay C&CC site
Milarrochy Bay C&CC site

We had a long weekend, in the trailer tent, at the Bala site last August Bank Holiday (so I could do the "Wild Wales Challenge") & I was thinking of going back on my bike as part of a tour in May.

Another C&CC site I've not been to but that looked interesting is Ebury Hill. I was thinking of stopping there when I was thinking of taking in Ironbridge on a tour this year. But as it appears to be going to be under wraps for most of this year (link), while they do restoration work, I thought I would probably leave that for another time.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Interesting thread.

Have toyed with the idea of joining.

And trying to figure out if it's worth it.

One would think, especially in view of their history, that they would have a lower annual fee for folk who were only ever going to turn up by bike.

I note from their web page that they have a scheme where existing members get a reward for referring folks - perhaps if anyone on the forum wants to join they could pair up with an online "friend" from here to ensure that someone gets that reward.

Just a thought - and hoping that my suggestion doesn't produce false positive reviews from any existing members on here :)
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

RickH wrote:We've got a trailer tent & have been members for ages. Sometimes confuses them when I turn up by bike & the system expects me to have a trailer tent :D

I think one of the best was Milarrochy Bay on the banks of Loch Lomond. It was late April (2016) so not crowded & I paid the princely sum of £4.50 for the privilege of staying a night there.

DSC_0138 (Medium).JPG
We had a long weekend, in the trailer tent, at the Bala site last August Bank Holiday (so I could do the "Wild Wales Challenge") & I was thinking of going back on my bike as part of a tour in May.

Another C&CC site I've not been to but that looked interesting is Ebury Hill. I was thinking of stopping there when I was thinking of taking in Ironbridge on a tour this year. But as it appears to be going to be under wraps for most of this year (link), while they do restoration work, I thought I would probably leave that for another time.

what is a trailer tent? your picture dont help
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Sweep wrote:Interesting thread.

Have toyed with the idea of joining.

And trying to figure out if it's worth it.

One would think, especially in view of their history, that they would have a lower annual fee for folk who were only ever going to turn up by bike.

I note from their web page that they have a scheme where existing members get a reward for referring folks - perhaps if anyone on the forum wants to join they could pair up with an online "friend" from here to ensure that someone gets that reward.

Just a thought - and hoping that my suggestion doesn't produce false positive reviews from any existing members on here :)

Why would they?
Anyone who joins has full use of any of the club's facilities whether they cycle tour or own a Winnibago.
The saving for the cycltourist is in site fees
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

A trailer tent is a special trailer with a tent packed inside that can be easily opened out to reveal a frame tent with raised, full sized beds either side of the body of the trailer. The tent is then pegged out.

A camper is similar but the tent part doesn't very pegged out it is all contained in the structure of the camper. As in its inside the trailer body or the bed shelves hanging out on each side.

I hope that explains it.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mercalia wrote:what is a trailer tent? your picture dont help

It's a trailer (usually for a motor vehicle) that pops out into a tent, also known as a folding camper.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Tangled Metal wrote:A trailer tent is a special trailer with a tent packed inside that can be easily opened out to reveal a frame tent with raised, full sized beds either side of the body of the trailer. The tent is then pegged out.

A camper is similar but the tent part doesn't very pegged out it is all contained in the structure of the camper. As in its inside the trailer body or the bed shelves hanging out on each side.

I hope that explains it.

but behind a bike? :shock: