Your thoughts about the Camping & Caravaning Club

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Vorpal

Re: Your thoughts about the Camping & Caravaning Club

Post by Vorpal »

mercalia wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:A trailer tent is a special trailer with a tent packed inside that can be easily opened out to reveal a frame tent with raised, full sized beds either side of the body of the trailer. The tent is then pegged out.

A camper is similar but the tent part doesn't very pegged out it is all contained in the structure of the camper. As in its inside the trailer body or the bed shelves hanging out on each side.

I hope that explains it.

but behind a bike? :shock:

https://newatlas.com/midget-bushtrekka- ... ler/22167/
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
RickH

Post by RickH »

mercalia wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:A trailer tent is a special trailer with a tent packed inside that can be easily opened out to reveal a frame tent with raised, full sized beds either side of the body of the trailer. The tent is then pegged out.

A camper is similar but the tent part doesn't very pegged out it is all contained in the structure of the camper. As in its inside the trailer body or the bed shelves hanging out on each side.

I hope that explains it.

but behind a bike? :shock:

Our trailer tent is only towed behind my bike when both are attached to the car - bikes on the roof & trailer tent behind! :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
ossie

Post by ossie »

I've stayed on quite a few, both certified and non certified.

I've never been asked if I'm a member, they usually just look at me, my bike and I negotiate a price- I'm not sure I've ever paid more than a tenner.
Keithp

Post by Keithp »

Hello Graham.
I am a member of the caravan and camping club and they have special rates for members arriving under their own steam carrying their kit with them, i.e. cycle touring and long distance walkers. You usually have to ask for a price as they do not advertise this special rate, and they rarely refuse you a space. Of course some of the small 5 pitch sites do not all have facilities, so you do need to phone to make sure they can accomadate you and your requirements.
LeicaM4

Post by LeicaM4 »

I have just arrived back home after a tour which encompassed C & CC sites as well as CS sites, I joined last year when in actual fact I had a caravan but later sold it. I cycled on the tour so effectively by their definition was a back packer they make no distinction between walker or cyclist.

The CS sites I stayed on were basic and a rip off for the facilities they provided, the first stop was £16 the site owner explained the fee by saying they provided showers ! The pitching area was ok, the barn structure containing two showers and loos was poor, poorly lit and cold. In my opinion it was £10 overpriced. The second site was against a CS site, location was pleasant, facilities very basic two loos and showers which were coin fed no heating in either and dark I was charged £8 which I still think was a rip off. The next site fared slightly better in that it had a block containing showers, one sink for shaving etc and two loos, nil else, lighting was controlled by sensors so when daybreak occurred lights went off, it was still dark so shaving was entertaining. I was charged £28 for two nights both of which I found it impossible to sleep through for road noise and anti social behaviour of locals driving by blaring music.

My next site was a blessing by comparison it was a formal C & CC site, facilities were spotless and lots of them, as has been already noted by previous posters, I'm 60 so qualify for extra discount, although without this it's still considerably cheaper than those I had visited prior. Cost for night £6.75, a bloody bargain and they charged my power pack for me. The next site was again another CS site which was hideous in every respect, but I had ridden nearly 80 miles by then, it had started raining and I was knackered, so bit the bullet and stayed, the cost £8. It was quite possibly the worst camp site I have ever visited in my life and i remember as a child camping with M & D at a farm where you showered in a converted cow shed that was more hygienic than the site I stayed at it was at most a £2 a night site.

My next stop fortunately was again another C & CC site this was in cambridge and cost me £5.75 per night, a veritable bloody bargain, spotless facilities and lots of them.

In summary I would say it is worth the fee if you intend camping regularly and definitely if you qualify for the extra discount. I felt the CS sites were a rip off and represented extremely poor val for money, why do we excel at this in this country, I did not experience anything as bad or overpriced touring Holland. I do not intend using `CS sites ever again unless I literally have no other viable option and (I consider wild camping a better option).

Hope this helps.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

what are CS sites?
RickH

Post by RickH »

mercalia wrote:what are CS sites?

Camping & caravanning Club FAQs wrote:What is a Certificated Site?

A Certificated Site has been approved by the Club for the use of five members caravans or motorcaravans, plus tents, space permitting. (link)

More info here.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Leica, those CS sites sound like one I stayed at up near Penrith (not a CS). Long grass, sloping field, one coin fed shower in a rickety outhouse in a farm yard - I can't actually remember the toilet facilities - perhaps that's best! IIRC it was £10 a night.

If the authorities in this country took a bit more interest when licensing these sites i'm sure half the sites would have to close/ invest in decent facilities.

Most of my bike camping is done across Europe and even the best C&CC sites fall short of what i'm used to but for value in the UK I don't think you can go far wrong.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!