Which trailer?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
mercalia

Re: Which trailer?

Post by mercalia »

fiendoidel wrote:Image

Plenty of these beasts on the cycle paths in my area - South Wales. Or perhaps there are just a few, but they are so annoying that it seems like there are more. It was this kind of 'bollard' that I was imagining a single wheeled trailer would be easier for, but looking at the photo maybe any type of trailer would be a struggle.

As predicted, I spent much too much time on the 'to good to lose' trailer posts. I mostly learned that Mike P (or was it F) is a big, big fan of Carry Freedom trailers!

Testing a friendly local bike shop owner's Adventure CT1 at lunchtime today. Not sure that Wiggle offer that service...

sorry you feel that way. lotso of valuble ideas there, esp about the affordable chinese yakalikes. I personally think trailers are more trouble than they are worth ( I have one of the cheap yakalikes) and am going simple and lightish re camping gear esp the tent a simple one skinned tarp-tent for the summer
fiendoidel

Post by fiendoidel »

mercalia wrote:sorry you feel that way. lotso of valuble ideas there, esp about the affordable chinese yakalikes. I personally think trailers are more trouble than they are worth ( I have one of the cheap yakalikes) and am going simple and lightish re camping gear esp the tent a simple one skinned tarp-tent for the summer

Ha. No, that wasn't what I meant! The posts were extraordinarily helpful - it's just that reading through them all took me about 3 hours! Time well spent, but I almost certainly should have been doing something else (like washing the dishes or picking up toys from the lounge floor)....

And I wasn't trying to disparage, Mike P (F)'s comments on the Carry Freedom - it is just that reading through the entire back catalogue of trailer posts in one go does highlight how many posts he has about them (he even acknowledges this in a few of his messages).

Anyway, as I said - it was a very helpful resource, sorry if the tone in which I intended my comment about spending too much time reading through it didn't come across in the way that I meant it too.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Good info here, I'm thinking of a flat-bed trailer for moving things around town so will have to be a 2-wheel and fairly large.
I'd be carrying mostly bulky stuff that's not very heavy, no plans for touring with it! :mrgreen:

Since I've rescued a couple of very used Brompton front wheels, and always see pieces of marine plywood left around by builders, may consider to build myself one. Has anyone done this?
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Gattonero wrote:Good info here, I'm thinking of a flat-bed trailer for moving things around town so will have to be a 2-wheel and fairly large.
I'd be carrying mostly bulky stuff that's not very heavy, no plans for touring with it! :mrgreen:

Since I've rescued a couple of very used Brompton front wheels, and always see pieces of marine plywood left around by builders, may consider to build myself one. Has anyone done this?

My first trailer was a stripped sown Burley with the insides removed..... We never bothered, but a friend o mine removed all of the canvas and upright frame, then clipped a marine plywood base using pipe clips to the remainder
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Also depends on the touring.

My wife had increasing knee problems, where as I was commuting 20 miles a day

For us it was a way of extending our touring for a few years

I would load my bike with my stuff, and put hers in the trailer.... it was a great way of balancing our abilities and allowing us to tour