Sleeping mats and punctures

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
foxyrider

Re: Sleeping mats and punctures

Post by foxyrider »

willem jongman wrote:Modern ultralight insulated mattresses like those from Thermarest and Exped are quite fragile. I would never use one outside, let alone with a chairkit.

Chair kits are for wimps - I much prefer a picnic bench! :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

foxyrider wrote:
willem jongman wrote:Modern ultralight insulated mattresses like those from Thermarest and Exped are quite fragile. I would never use one outside, let alone with a chairkit.

Chair kits are for wimps - I much prefer a picnic bench! :lol:

wonder what size of pannier it needs to carry that! :lol:
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
profpointy

Post by profpointy »

I didn't buy one for years since
(a) I was worried about punctures - a well-off "early-adopter" had bought one and had maybe a dozen punctures after an outing leading to much derision from the rest of us and
(b) the thermarest ones were just stupidly expensive.

Then I gritted my teeth, paid the money, and bought one. Wow ! They are vastly more comfortable than a basic karrymat type thing, and to be fair, I've only had a couple of punctures over the years, and I've had it a long time now. Punctures are quite easy to fix - basically evo stick and a patch of the same material as the mat - one fix was a 1-1/2" gash - and I've not idea how I managed to do that - not camping clearly ! The other big advantage is it rolls up much smaller than a Karrymat, so it goes in the rucksack or motorbike panniers or whatever.

I have used a 3/4 lenght one, and not keep. Full length is much more comfortable, as somehow your heels on the hard ground feels strange.

Anyhow, yes they do get punctures, but worth it anyway. I haven't carried the repair kit for them on trips, but maybe it ain't a bad idea to have the patches at least, then buy glue if you need it. Even if punctured, they are still better than nowt, and not much worse than a karrymat.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

A bit like modern flysheets, they certainly feel flimsy, but that's not the same as being flimsy.

I use my NeoAir outside with a chair kit. Famous last words and all that, but it's not been a problem thus far.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

over the years we've had more trouble with leaky valves than punctures. seamgrip or shoegoo typrepair kits work the best. vinyl weld should work and even silicone sealant at a push.

going by the holes in my bivvy bags from brambles and thorns I think I've been rather lucky.

for ground protection I keep my 3/4 length 25 year old thermarest in its chair kit but also carry some heavy ripstop stuff originally meant to replace roofing felt that's indestructable
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

I've got a '98 Thermorest which is still going strong, but bulky. So I got a 3/4 length Blacks version a few years ago - first one 'let me down' first trip out so got a replacement which seems to be still OK but not as comfy and still doesn't fit in my panniers. So I got an Alpkit Numo, which was comfy (albeit with a cold patch where my hips go through to the ground - I sleep on my side). But after a year it started to 'let me down' too. Alpkit were helpful and I patched it, but still it leaks.
I wonder what to try next?
(And don't get me going on pillows! I think I have the world collection of camping pillows!)
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Slowroad wrote:(And don't get me going on pillows! I think I have the world collection of camping pillows!)

Might be worth checking this out.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/helium-pill ... 82813.html
Sweep
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Slowroad wrote:
(And don't get me going on pillows! I think I have the world collection of camping pillows!)

Might be worth checking this out.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/helium-pill ... 82813.html
Sweep

Ahah, yes! Been meaning to try one of those and thay have always been out of stock! Might just order one... :-)
Cheers!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

Slowroad wrote:(And don't get me going on pillows! I think I have the world collection of camping pillows!)

have you not taken the tempur challenge for a free travel pillow then?

they run it a couple of times a year it seems so keep your eyes open.

https://uk.tempur.com/tempur-challenge.html
climo

Post by climo »

After years & years enduring rolled up clothing as pillows I finally bit the bullet and bought
https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... llow-p9932
Stuff the rear pocket with a fleece & very very comfortable. Add a down exped mat and I often sleep better than at home.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

jacksonz wrote:
Jeff31 wrote:Hi Trevor
I still take my old Karrimat even with my inflatable mat. The inflatable mat and goes on top of the Karrimat, giving it some extra protection, and if It goes down during the night I will still have bit of padding and insulation from the Karrimat.

Yes, that's what I do as well. Gives a lot of comfort and versatility.
I had a Thermarest Neoair and it lasted about 120 nights before it delaminated.....I cut it open and had a look. A lot of durability has been sacrificed for lightness. It seemed more like a "toy". I recommend one of the Thermarest standard (self-inflating) products.

I tried all kinds of materials to patch mats, but a recommended product was always the best.......

For me my camping days would have been over if I'd continued to use my old thermarest, the neo air has added a few years into my ability to camp (although maybe no longer working in an office that seemed in the business of giving me hip ache might help too). Having said that no one wants that middle of the night sinking feeling- I'd be happy with this level of comfort and a bit more robust even if that means a bit heavier. I don't have much capacity for bigger volume (e.g. Taking a mat to use under my sleeping mat)
philsknees

Post by philsknees »

In my previous lightweight backpacking days I had several unfortunate experiences with Exped mats become unusable through delamination & eventually abandoned them (despite the excellent guarantee scheme then in place), favouring the original Thermarest NeoAir lightweight products which have never punctured(with careful use) or delaminated over several years use.
Now cycle touring (creakier and considerably heavier), I've found durability & comfort take precedence over weight (within limits) & found the ideal compromise in the Thermarest NeoAir Voyager which has the comfort of the original NeoAir but with a heavier duty 75D cover, similar to that used on their original self-inflating mats. Add in the extra comfort of the regular/wide (61cm) version & I've found the perfect mat for sustained use.
Downside? Well it weighs about 750 gm but still packs relatively compactly. They seem to be end-of line now but they are still available & well worth it if you can source one.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I have never had a puncture with any matress, first Thermarest self inflatables, then Exped downmats and now also an Exped Synmat UL. However, I just had a delamination of my Exped Synmat UL on a tour in Germany. This was not fun, since unlike punctures, there is nothing you can do with a delaminating mattress other than to inflate it with far less air than you would do normally, use the delaminated part for your feet, and just endure the discomfort until you are back home or have been able to buy something new.
I must say I am pretty annoyed, especially since this seems to happen quite frequently with these Exped mattresses. Many of my Dutch cycle touring friends have had similar experiences. Therefore, I am now considering a Neoair, since there seem to be far fewer problems with those. I wonder if that also applies to their XLite model.
2free15

Post by 2free15 »

trevorcox wrote:I'm thinking of moving from a foam Karrimat to a for my next tour. I need something more comfortable. On tour, I use the Karrimat outside the tent (e.g. to lie down when reading, or to sit on when preparing food). How vulnerable are these lightweight sleeping mats to being punctured if I just use them outside the tent on camp grounds? Thanks

I purchased the NeoAir XTherm for comfort and insulation a year ago and was thoroughly impressed with pack down size , weight and comfort . I was using it this week and whilst laying on it there was a loud pop and now when it inflates it develops a large bubble at the top and does not inflate to its full capacity anywhere else . having spent £140 on it a am thoroughly gutted , I have signed into this forum to find out if this has happened to anyone else and is there anything I can do. Now considering purchasing the Klymit Insulated Static V LITE Camping Sleeping Mat (Flip Valve) (2019). Insulation is a major factor for me as is weight , pack down size and weight as alpine ascents and high altitude camps is the desire . It comes with a lifetime warranty and is only £100 , think I am sold unless there is a better option or a reason not to ?
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

2free15 wrote:laying on it there was a loud pop and now when it inflates it develops a large bubble at the top and does not inflate to its full capacity anywhere else .
happened to my Neoair Trekker. Having had the same problem with light self inflating mats I thought I'd try a sturdy end of the Neoair range. I think the issue may have been caused by overinflation. I used the Neoair battery powered pump so that this is not possible, but I left it during the day in a hot tent. Of course this happened on tour, but the failure was in a place that I could still sleep on the mat. I now have a Sea to Summit mat which claims to use a stronger bonding method between compartments. I've only used it about 20 times so far and it seems good.

You can send your Neoair back to Thermarest under their guarantee and other users have said that they replace them readily.