MSR Tent Fly repair / replacement

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
cheeky_ash

MSR Tent Fly repair / replacement

Post by cheeky_ash »

Hi guys.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement flysheet for a MSR hubba hubba HP....I just bought the tent on eBay and it turns out that there is a small tear in the fly sheet as well as the flysheet also being quite weathered (possible UV damage)....so firstly I'm looking at where and how much) I can find a replacement before potentially repairing.

By the way...I'm new on here so hello everyone.
Ashley
hamish

Re: MSR Tent Fly repair / replacement

Post by hamish »

Hello Ashley

I think they have stopped making the HH HP. I bought one of the last ones I could find on line. I am not sure if MSR will still have stock of spares.

Maybe you need to complain to the seller?
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Yes, was the fault specified in the description?

If not, i would take it up with the seller/ebay. I have the Impression (folks by all means correct me) that ebay leans in favour of buyers.
Sweep
JackRabbitSlims

Post by JackRabbitSlims »

https://www.msrgear.com/tents/tent-acce ... repair-kit

I bought and used this stuff on my Hubba Hubba NX after 1 years use on the road.....it cleaned up very well. I can't comment on it's use in the wet after the treatment as I haven't camped out in the rain recently :)

https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8; ... 362;page=5
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Sweep wrote:Yes, was the fault specified in the description?

If not, i would take it up with the seller/ebay. I have the Impression (folks by all means correct me) that ebay leans in favour of buyers.

They do - to the point of stupidity sometimes, I gave up selling on there as sellers have no rights whatsoever now.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

yes, I have heard what seemed to be decent sellers complaining.

Trouble is, on bikes, ebay are very reluctant for buyers to see stuff before they bid, so you need the option of rejecting a purchase.

I see bike sales becoming increasingly problematical on ebay.

Anyway, back to the OP, go for it OP.
Sweep
PrinterJohn

Post by PrinterJohn »

Shut our eBay shop, too many items mysteriously did not arrive, but did when a free replacement was sent. eBay does not support honest sellers, but quickly give refunds / punishes sellers when buyers use the didn't arrive scam.
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

As an ebay buyer ...
I have recently had 3 items not arrive ....
one of them had tracking and it can be clearly seen where it 'disappeared' :evil: I assume the other 2 'disappeared' in the same ruddy place.

It is very disappointing for reasonable people(both buyers and sellers) when things 'go astray' in shipping. There are well known 'black spots' in some shipping firms ... http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2676367
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

depends on if the rip is due to fabric deterioration. if it is just faded but still strong then stitch up the tear and paint the whole lot with a silicone mix to stabilise it.

worst case then getting some silnylon and making a new flysheet might be viable.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

Warin61 wrote:As an ebay buyer ...
I have recently had 3 items not arrive ....
one of them had tracking and it can be clearly seen where it 'disappeared' :evil: I assume the other 2 'disappeared' in the same ruddy place.

It is very disappointing for reasonable people(both buyers and sellers) when things 'go astray' in shipping. There are well known 'black spots' in some shipping firms ... http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2676367

I have maybe one in 20 purchase parcels vanish usually chinese stuff in tiny envelopes, my neighbour did test mail out of large letter sized items for his firm locally to friends and family and 30% never made it.

my usual issue is goods not quite as described or bits missing. most of the time I let the seller know and ignore it as its often the silly bargain that costs more to post back than fix or source the missing part. often items are being sold for friends or relatives and the seller doesn't have a clue.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
My experience is after buying several thousand items off Ebay not the same, over some 16 years.
Possible lost about 1-2 items a year buying, mostly low cost which the seller resends / reimburses.
Have sold some 100 items on ebay even abroad.

I would imagine sending many items if you are a shop are somewhat different, but many sellers seem to survive.

Oh repair tent, there are suppliers of material sealing etc, the one I have in mind also repairs too, if the material is sun damaged then find a curtain maker and get one made if its worth it.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

interesting reading a thread on crazyguy where supposedly an MSR rep in new zealand admitted the Hubba is only expected to be used 5-10 nights a year and should last about 5 years.

quite a few of the reviews seem to match that
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

hamish wrote:Hello Ashley

I think they have stopped making the HH HP. I bought one of the last ones I could find on line. I am not sure if MSR will still have stock of spares.

Maybe you need to complain to the seller?

Isn't the hubba hubba nx the same footprint? (I don't know this-just had that impression) so you might be able to mix and match.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

crazydave789 wrote:interesting reading a thread on crazyguy where supposedly an MSR rep in new zealand admitted the Hubba is only expected to be used 5-10 nights a year and should last about 5 years.

I'm not sure if I would get one again but mine had better hold out to get me across the USA if I go next year as that's what I got it for!
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

MrsHJ wrote:
crazydave789 wrote:interesting reading a thread on crazyguy where supposedly an MSR rep in new zealand admitted the Hubba is only expected to be used 5-10 nights a year and should last about 5 years.

I'm not sure if I would get one again but mine had better hold out to get me across the USA if I go next year as that's what I got it for!

I hope so too but at least you will have access to places like REI for cheaper alternatives and MSR might give better customer care.