Website for locating campsites in northern spain

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
thornie1543

Website for locating campsites in northern spain

Post by thornie1543 »

Hi just wondering if there is a website that will show all the campsites along the northern spanish coast ,much like the one that shows all the municipal sites in france? I keep getting sites that just advertise their own sites and not a general overview of all the sites in this area,thanks.
Richard Fairhurst

Re: Website for locating campsites in northern spain

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Archies is the canonical European campsite directory: http://archiescampings.eu/ . (cycle.travel also includes the Archies listings in the accommodation finder on the map, by kind permission.)
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

I just took a quick look at the site. Looks quite interesting. Have you personally used it??
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

The ACSI site has a fair number for that region just search 'acsi camping' - my go to start point for any euro tour then I may look at regional/local tourist board websites as they often list smaller sites not found on other databases.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
JackRabbitSlims

Post by JackRabbitSlims »

When I rode through / across Northern Spain last year, I would just use the function on MapsMe or OsmAnd offline mapping Apps to locate the nearest Campsite(s)

Works a charm if you have a smartphone. A dynamo front Hub is also nice to help recharge the phone while you ride also :)
https://maps.me/
https://osmand.net/
ossie

Post by ossie »

Woodtourer wrote:I just took a quick look at the site. Looks quite interesting. Have you personally used it??

I've used Archies for numerous tours throughout Europe, including Spain, France, Holland and Germany.

Its worth its weight in gold and well worth the small cost of downloading the app for your phone. The download for a Garmin etc (POI) is free. I never plan a campsite in advance, simply head towards the large A (for archies) on the Garmin when the time comes to stop. It includes all the municipals in France as well as the other more expensive sites. Indeed nearly every site is on there.
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

Thanks!!!
teamonster

Post by teamonster »

+1 for Archie’s, just returned from Santander to Caen cycle tour. Use to take a quick look at Archie’s in a morning to check roughly where there were campsites, then again in afternoon to pick a specific destination. Combined with a google to check reviews/facilities if there was a choice in the area. It’s a lifesaver.
climo

Post by climo »

I wish Archie's and Osmand and cycle.travel would work directly on a Mac offline. Obviously Osmand works offline and you can use an Android emulator but it's all a bit of a kludge.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

climo wrote:I wish Archie's and Osmand and cycle.travel would work directly on a Mac offline. Obviously Osmand works offline and you can use an Android emulator but it's all a bit of a kludge.

It's not Archies but the mapping system. Download the POI files and load e.g. the .gpx into whatever mapping system you can find that meets your requirements. There are apps that do offline mapping but I only ever bothered to try one and was not impressed and deleted it (Vectorial Map https://itunes.apple.com/app/id824678718). Anther example (I have no experience of) is Cartograph https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1072833104).

Not Mac but loading an Archies country .gpx into MapOut on the iPhone works brilliantly (offline).

I'm sure Richard has commented before he'd love to implement an iOS app but as far as I'm aware (and I'm just a user) it's definitely a server based solution at the moment.

I've found the iPhone route calculation using OsmAnd on the iPhone pretty iffy - not the route but e.g. a 60 miles route will repeatedly fail (the app crashes) so you end-up having to put is set waypoints to pass through "on the way" to avoid the (100% repeatable) crashes.

Ian