Coolips - hotlips

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
crazydave789

Coolips - hotlips

Post by crazydave789 »

Haven't noticed anything already written so apologies if someone else has been there before me -

first I saw these and thought what a great idea - but Hoooooow much!!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Snow-Peak-Hotl ... B0038WTTVS

ebay then - nope

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Snow-Peak-Ho ... Sw~o5acx51

then I found these - aaaaaaah much better and identical to the above ones.

https://www.kellykettle.com/silicone-cooliptm

the only put off is the postage so buy a load and gift them out or club together. I think I bought 8.

I used to have a plastic clip on thingy to use with military canteen cups or we would use duct tape/rubber motorcycle inner tube which after a while became a biological hazzard as our brew cups only got washed if we shaved in them - so these are spot on if you use metal mugs or one pot light weight setups and like their drinks hot without leaving your lips welded to the cup. they don't work with lids but just pop on and off with no real click on grip. you could probably glue them on with some seamgrip and trim off the inside part.

those who have the stanley cookset and nesting cup setup - well it stops any rattle and is nice and neat.

or if you have some that needs using up SUGRU works as well and doesn't get lost in the washing up bowl. you could possibly DIY something with clear sealant or shoegoo too but thats just hassle and lacks the show off shiney thing element. :D
Tangled Metal

Re: Coolips - hotlips

Post by Tangled Metal »

Have you thought about charity bands? Pop a few coins into a help the heroes tin and you have a silicone band that fits nicely round most mug type pots too prevent burnt lips.

Just a thought. I mean you can pick your favourite charity, drink hot drinks safely and flash off the fact that you give to charity (a bonus virtue signaling). All for less money.
whoof

Post by whoof »

I bought one of these steel 500 ml pots/mugs recently to take on weekend camping trips in conjunction with a small meths stoves.
I thought I might have a problem boiling water, making tea and then drinking straight from it. I've used it on three weekend and don't seem to have any trouble drinking straight from the mug/pot.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263520964883 ... Tags=bu=bu

Attachments
mug.jpg
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Different metals have different conduction rates which affects the risk of burnt lips. IME titanium pots are worse than Al pots.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

Tangled Metal wrote:Have you thought about charity bands? Pop a few coins into a help the heroes tin and you have a silicone band that fits nicely round most mug type pots too prevent burnt lips.

Just a thought. I mean you can pick your favourite charity, drink hot drinks safely and flash off the fact that you give to charity (a bonus virtue signaling). All for less money.

tried that years ago when there was the charity band splurge in the 90s - charity bands have to stretch too much, snap too easy IMO and get very thin so you need a couple of them and its awkward going over the lip of the cup. hence the motorcycle inner tube but that doesn't like too much heat and is flammable - also impossible to pop onto a red hot pot

if you heat the water in the cup or heat your retort pouches of food like we used to have to do before making your brew with the water and especially over a chemical uncontrollable flame coming up the sides the cup gets weldingly hot. so any advantage is snapped up as a hasty brew needs to be hasty drunk or carried with you. I could have sent hundreds of these to afghanistan.

mind you I have also carried foldacups with me for 25 years or so - but they they were mainly for stealing someone elses brew/food or hosting guests.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Never had much of an issue with the bands myself. Used a mug type pot from vargo and the charity band fitted perfectly. After a good few years it did end up snapping due to becoming brittle with the heat. Cheap enough to buy another band. Silicone is probably what those hotlip things are made out of too.
philsknees

Post by philsknees »

Just a couple of further points. The Amazon price of £35+ broadly reflects the inclusive price (in US) of the Hotlips Mug ie a 600ml Snowpeak titanium mug fitted with the silicone device. The US based Amazon seller may have made a simple mistake when setting that price for the silicone-only part but the cynic in me does wonder ......if you check the product reviews there's a suggestion that one of his (US?) customers regrets spending "a couple of bucks" on the item?

Last year I bought a pair of Snowpeak Hotlips from Taunton Leisure for just over a fiver plus minimal postage but I see they are now out of stock. Agreed, the Kelly version seems cheaper for a similar product & I'd probably have tried it if it had been available then.

Snowpeak make it clear that their version is made from food-grade silicone & state that the device should be removed from the mug during heating on your stove & refitted afterwards.
Quite what charity wristbands are made of & what is emitted when that substance is subjected to the heat of a stove, I'm not qualified to comment.
I'll not mention what might be congealing behind a band left permanently on the mug.......