Leaving a tent in a hot car

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
robing

Leaving a tent in a hot car

Post by robing »

Is it OK to leave a tent in a hot car in the sun? Is it likely to damage it? I had to leave mine for a few hours like this and I couldn't roll it up as was still slightly damp. It certainly wasn't damp when I eventually left!
pjclinch

Re: Leaving a tent in a hot car

Post by pjclinch »

robing wrote:Is it OK to leave a tent in a hot car in the sun? Is it likely to damage it? I had to leave mine for a few hours like this and I couldn't roll it up as was still slightly damp. It certainly wasn't damp when I eventually left!

It's okay to leave a tent in the hot sun without the car (including rather hotter sun than you'd get in the UK), so I don't think it should be an issue.

I'd think not something you'd want to make a habit of, but they are designed to take whatever the weather can throw at them and bearing in mind that includes seriously hot sun in deserts you should be okay.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

robing wrote:Is it OK to leave a tent in a hot car in the sun? Is it likely to damage it? I had to leave mine for a few hours like this and I couldn't roll it up as was still slightly damp. It certainly wasn't damp when I eventually left!

Nope you've destroyed it. Depending on the quality and type of tent I think you should send it to me for disposal. :D
If it's a hilleberg or lightwave or nordisk or msr then I'll especially sort out the most appropriate disposal method (many years of quality use is usually a good way to dispose of such a tent :wink: ).
robing

Post by robing »

:P I'll know who to contact when I want to recycle it! It's only Vango though :wink:
I think it will be ok. I proofed it again last year. I'm off to Wales for a cycle tour so will find out :D
robing

Post by robing »

pjclinch wrote:

It's okay to leave a tent in the hot sun without the car (including rather hotter sun than you'd get in the UK), so I don't think it should be an issue.

I'd think not something you'd want to make a habit of, but they are designed to take whatever the weather can throw at them and bearing in mind that includes seriously hot sun in deserts you should be okay.

Pete.

Thanks, that's what I'd thought. I've looked after it pretty well. Probably the worst thing you can do to a tent is pack it away wet. ( Or leave it packed away wet for any length of time)
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Oh well, worth a try. Perhaps pjclinch wants me to recycle one of his tents! Hilleberg a speciality for recycling. :wink:

Seriously though, we leave stuff in a hot car without issue. Tents, clothing, etc. Never had any issue so far. Used to remember as a kid in France that our fake leather car seats used to be melted / sticky after a day on the beach. If it gets that hot in your car then I'd worry. Mind you you're talking hot enough to melt our road surfaces back then so unlikely here.

Vango tents? Nothing wrong with them. Just don't ask me how many we've got. Let's just say we regularly sample their wares. Nothing wrong with vango. Five! I think we have five vango tents. Not including their tarp. If I actually looked there could be more one of us has hidden in the cupboard. We seem luckier with vango for quality than any other brand, especially with larger family tents

PS I stopped my other half from buying another vango tent this spring. She didn't have one in mind just thought she wanted another one. It's not just me that needs help with resisting gear purchases.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

robing wrote:
Thanks, that's what I'd thought. I've looked after it pretty well. Probably the worst thing you can do to a tent is pack it away wet. ( Or leave it packed away wet for any length of time)

Packing it away wet is no problem (any time it rained overnight or there's a heavy dew, so that's actually a pretty significant proportion of usage), but you're quite right about leaving it packed wet. Particularly true of cotton (my brother destroyed a Force 10 from packing it not quite] dry), but even synthetics you Don't Want To Go There.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
robing

Post by robing »

pjclinch wrote:
robing wrote:

Packing it away wet is no problem (any time it rained overnight or there's a heavy dew, so that's actually a pretty significant proportion of usage), but you're quite right about leaving it packed wet. Particularly true of cotton (my brother destroyed a Force 10 from packing it not quite] dry), but even synthetics you Don't Want To Go There.

Pete.

A friend of mine bought a new backpacking tent. He used it for a week's walking in the Peak District. I was keen to have a gander at it, only to find his brand new tent had been put away wet for several days and was already pretty smelly. He was a bit embarrassed and apologetic. I said don't apologise to me, but you've just ruined your tent!
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

As long as there isn't a dog in the hot car with your tent you should be ok ..... :)
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.