Aldi camping from thursday

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Sweep

Aldi camping from thursday

Post by Sweep »

Most of it for car campers, but possibly of interest to us lot.

Summer sleeping bag for warm country touring, £12.99

4 of the tall type gas cartridges, ok if you have an adapter, £3.99
Sweep
crazydave789

Re: Aldi camping from thursday

Post by crazydave789 »

you can still use those to refill the short fat cans.

otherwise guy it out like a radio mast.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

the sleeping bags looked pretty good, two together for if you get lucky or one inside the other for a 3-4 seasons

the inflating mats are heavy but tough.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Yes the bags looked good for warm places. Mats may be comfortable and good value but way too big surely for cycle camping?Recently got a 3/4length vango mat in a tkmaxx for £15. Seems quite nice so far.
Sweep
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Sweep wrote:

The tall cylinders have the same screw thread as the shorter dumpy ones. I bought a dozen at Wilkos for 50 pence each - the graphics on the can had changed so they were cheap as "old stock". I light the stove , hold the can upright for half a minute until the pre heat on the stove warms up and then lay the can on it's side.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

pete75 wrote:
Sweep wrote:

The tall cylinders have the same screw thread as the shorter dumpy ones. I bought a dozen at Wilkos for 50 pence each - the graphics on the can had changed so they were cheap as "old stock". I light the stove , hold the can upright for half a minute until the pre heat on the stove warms up and then lay the can on it's side.

You sure? I forgot, i did buy four of those. Haven't connected to my stove yet but i did fit my adaptor to them, which then provides a screw thread.
My stove does have a preheat coil, and thanks for the caution to preheat it before lying the can down.

Any particular way to ensure that the coil is preheated enough or is it safe to assume that 30 secs is enough?

Do you still have to ensure that the can lies with the fab up to ensure that there are no flareups?
Sweep
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Sweep wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Sweep wrote:

You sure? I forgot, i did buy four of those. Haven't connected to my stove yet but i did fit my adaptor to them, which then provides a screw thread.
My stove does have a preheat coil, and thanks for the caution to preheat it before lying the can down.

Any particular way to ensure that the coil is preheated enough or is it safe to assume that 30 secs is enough?

Do you still have to ensure that the can lies with the fab up to ensure that there are no flareups?

The tall ones I got have a screw thread. TBH I've never seen any without. If the coil isn't pre heated enough you can tell it needs a bit longer when you're laying the can down. Don't think it matters which way you lay the can down.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Are you sure you aren't talking about "normal" but tall canisters?

I mean the canisters commonly sold for use horizontally (but a certain way up) in big outdoor stoves like these:

http://www.halfords.com/camping-leisure ... JKhfD_BwE#

just checked my cartridges.

No screw thread.

so you need one of these:

https://goo.gl/images/fDiAsd
Sweep
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Sweep wrote:Are you sure you aren't talking about "normal" but tall canisters?

I mean the canisters commonly sold for use horizontally (but a certain way up) in big outdoor stoves like these:

No screw thread.

Mine is this sort
20180526_194747.jpg
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

This I think explains the possible issue with mine Pete - also shows clear pics of the adaptor and what it fits into in the top of the can.

https://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.co ... rning.html

As I understand it it is advisable to maintain those cans in a certain horizontal position to avoid liquid fuel being supplied to the stove and causing a flare. Though a preheat coil should ensure that only gas gets there if it is heated long enough. Hence my question about the length of time needed for the preheating.

The adaptors are commonly available online for £3 or less. Safe I hope though I won't be taking too many chances. And well away from the tent.
Sweep
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Ah yes they are different. Mine has a screw thread on the top.
If that canister is the one for the little stove on teh Aldi website then it would appear designed to be used horizontally. Can't fit into the stove any other way.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Just to clarify, will be using those canisters with a "normal" stove, remote one with fuel cable and a preheat coil. Not bad for £1 each - actually handier than "proper" ones to ram into a pannier, or stash on top of rack.

Am pretty wll set up now with adaptors. Can use four different types of canister.
Sweep
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

pete75 wrote:
Sweep wrote:Are you sure you aren't talking about "normal" but tall canisters?

No screw thread.

Mine is this sort 20180526_194747.jpg

the aldi garden gas cans are the same and cheap.

any gas can be used in any position it is the stove that provides the restriction, most stoves even those without preheat will not flare unless you tip the can upside down.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

The cheap aerosol type gas cans take the gas from the middle of one side via a sprung internal tube.
The proper stoves key the cans so the tube is on the top side of the horizontal can and the stove gets gaseous gas, but most adapters don't, allowing the can to be used any way up. If the end of the internal tube is submerged, you'll get liquid gas, which will make stokes without a preheat loop flare badly.

The adapter linked above has a plastic nub on the side that fits the notch in the canister rim. This should be eiether at the top or at the bottom (not sure which as I don't use them myself).

Preheat time before liquid feed id OK isn't very long 20 - 30 seconds.

With any new stove or new type of canistet, a bit of practice well away from inflammable things like tents is a good idea.