Family touring tent and sleeping bag for 4 year old

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
radek

Re: Family touring tent and sleeping bag for 4 year old

Post by radek »

Tangled Metal - we may replace the tent in the future but just now we will stick to it. We are quite happy with it. 3.40kg is not too bad for a big 4 person tent. The build quality is good, but yet to be tested in rain...

Regarding the sleeping bag, our daughter has indeed sleep in an adult bag, but there was no need to tie it at the end since she has used it as a blanket/cover. The night was very warm.

Thanks for the suggestion of the Netherlands route. I will have to research it. Netherlands is probably the most child friendly country. UK has some nice cycle routes, but going long distance requires sharing parts of the route with cars..

It happens that we have done 3 day cycling in Netherlands this year. We have rented bicycles in Amsterdam. 4 year old went inside of the cargo bike. However, we did not camp, but used a rented house as our base. Nevertheless, we liked NL a lot.

Alternatively, we are thinking about doing the Velodyssey next year.
36358219_10156438455369469_8983573356905234432_o (1).jpg
Attachments
36288589_10156438461814469_5698804681279537152_o (1).jpg
36289552_10156438453689469_2761947099867119616_o (1).jpg
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Doing part of the velodysse this year. Ferry to Roscoff then straight out and back by some suitable route. Should be a good two weeks.
radek

Post by radek »

Sounds great ! It would be great to hear from you once you get back.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Oh, regards the tent, keep an eye on the ends if each pole segment. The connector is held in place by a pinch to the main part of the pole, three pinches on our tent. This is a common way of fixing the connector, especially on cheaper tents.

Other tent pole manufacturers press fit the connector on or glue it I believe. These ways don't create a potential weakness like the pinch method.

So whilst your tent has worked out I would still recommend that you check out the poles before you need the tent for a trip. Be prepared to replace your pole segment if it looks like there could be a weakness.

Plus make sure you carry a tent pole repair kit too. A simple support tube slightly bigger than the poles that you put over the broken part and duct tape it securely. It's a good way to repear the pole and lasted almost two weeks for us. We just had to pack the two sections of pole in one piece because the damage was at the connection.

Of course our experience put us off terra nova and wild country. We got a helsport tent instead. More expensive but lighter and a smaller pack size. We got our £175 back and spent £500 on the helsport tent. Similar size but better designed.

Anyway, kit is only there to allow us to get out there as a family. It's the being it there together enjoying time exploring as a family. If your tent works to do that is 3a good enough tent.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Tangled Metal wrote:Oh, regards the tent, keep an eye on the ends if each pole segment. The connector is held in place by a pinch to the main part of the pole, three pinches on our tent. This is a common way of fixing the connector, especially on cheaper tents.

Other tent pole manufacturers press fit the connector on or glue it I believe. These ways don't create a potential weakness like the pinch method.

So whilst your tent has worked out I would still recommend that you check out the poles before you need the tent for a trip. Be prepared to replace your pole segment if it looks like there could be a weakness.

This is all fair comment, but note that my Spacepacker has pinch-fitted connectors on its poles and that's over 20 years old. My dad's is getting towards 30. They've never let me (or him) down. A Saunders tunnel I used to have took a heavy beating with this sort of pole, and the pole took a bit of a bend though no failure.

So they're not the best these days, but that's not the same as are bad. Failures do happen at joints, but I suspect more often the open end rather than the one with the joining insert. Cracks form from the open ends.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I've found Denmark to be very child friendly, and good for cycling, as well.

We've been there a couple of times & really enjoyed it. We've mostly stayed in youth hostels and camping cabins in Denmark, rather than taking a tent.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
radek

Post by radek »

Thanks Vorpal,I will consider Denmark in our plans. We are thinking also about the Velodyssey in France.