Loaded Camping Gear Weight

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Psamathe

Loaded Camping Gear Weight

Post by Psamathe »

Not yet got gear together (or even purchased) and next step is checking out bike gearing/handling so I was wondering what sort of gear weight (total) people end-up carrying when loaded camping (tent, stove, sleeping bag, sleeping mat, etc.). Just wondering about the overall total (not individual item weights!).

My expectation is 4 panniers; already got the rear rack/panniers and front rack and panniers are on order so next step is to load them to a realistic weight and go for a ride and find a few hills (OK, East Anglia so I'll be using "inclines").

My spreadsheet estimate had so many guesses and omissions that I gave up as the errors meant I felt it was not useful.

Thanks
Ian
pwa

Re: Loaded Camping Gear Weight

Post by pwa »

One thing I can recommend is getting the bathroom scales out and practice packing the panniers with your clobber. Find a repeatable packing regime that ends up with left and right front panniers weighing about the same, and right and left rear panniers about the same. So left and right is balanced.

Put lighter items in the front panniers. And leave a bit of space in the front bags for food and drink you buy en route.

Check that when fully loaded the rear panniers don't catch you heels. Make adjustments if necessary.

I have always tended to bungee the tent lengthways to the top of the rear rack. Saves you having to open bags before putting the tent up in the rain, if you are unlucky enough to have to do that.

Avoid heavy (e.g. denim) off-the-bike clothing. Select all clothing with low weight as one factor.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

My touring load of camping kit and clothes for the tour adds 20lbs (about 9kg) over the weight of my daily load which includes tools and waterproofs etc. This is for a summer tour of upto 4 weeks, a tour in other seasons may necessitate other clothing.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

My last all up tour broke down as follows

Maps, lock, toiletries etc 2500g
Tools / spares 532g
Food / 1500g
Camping kit - cooking, tent, bedding 3600g
Clothing 4364g (which is everything including what I'm wearing so take out one set of gear and shoes so @ 3000g)
Camera/phone etc 992g
Bags - panniers, barbag, other packing stuff 3600g

How it's split -these weights include the bags, Ortlieb rollers that have been slightly customised.

Barbag 2kg - camera, wallet etc
Front bags 2kg each - clothing, maps
Rear bags 4kg each - tent, bedding in one, cook and wash in other
Seatpack pump etc 1kg - repair kit / spares

Total 15kg

I'd take the same on any UK / Euro tour in spring/summer. I often end up with extra maps, guide books, souvenirs which soon mount up, often a couple of kilos over a tour (I generally do a post home of this sort of stuff and any maps no longer needed which frees up both space and reduces travelling weight)
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

just dont think you will be taking your tails or gown with you for the evening soiree by the camp fire. :wink:
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

Psamathe wrote:Not yet got gear together (or even purchased) and next step is checking out bike gearing/handling so I was wondering what sort of gear weight (total) people end-up carrying when loaded camping (tent, stove, sleeping bag, sleeping mat, etc.). Just wondering about the overall total (not individual item weights!).

My expectation is 4 panniers; already got the rear rack/panniers and front rack and panniers are on order so next step is to load them to a realistic weight and go for a ride and find a few hills (OK, East Anglia so I'll be using "inclines").

My spreadsheet estimate had so many guesses and omissions that I gave up as the errors meant I felt it was not useful.

Thanks
Ian

Hi Ian,
To answer your question, I'll typically carry about 25 kg (yes, you read that right ;-) ) over 4 panniers and a rack pack.
that's significantly heavier than most here - but I like my comfort and speed is not my thing.

That's a big improvement! Before I got my kindle, I'd be carrying maybe 5kg extra in books! :-)

*That's my maximum weight. I'm in training for a big, big trip, so every weekend trip is also a practise ride and I like to practise as realistically as possible. And I do trips in winter too.

Also bear in mind, I carry a Trangia 27 set, but I like to cook real food (and brew real coffee), so my kitchen weight is already heavier than most.
I also carry a spare cup for those friend making times I stop to brew some coffee. It's a great way to chat with people! :-)

Over the years I've traded lightweight items for heavier, but for me, preferable, items.
Eg, I carry a light chair (Mayfly) after initially using a thermarest pad adapter. I changed because if the ground was wet my sleeping pad was wet when I went to sleep on it. Also, it really wasn't terribly comfortable :D
My sleeping Pad is bulky & heavy in comparison to the really light ones, but it is quieter and more robust. For me, that's the important part. Sometimes I'll forego the tent and just sleep on the mat in a bivvy bag on the ground.

I guess it comes down to those who'd rather be comfy on the bike (light) and those comfy in camp (heavier).

So, my suggestion to you would be to focus less on the weight and more on what you want.

If you don't already have any gear, then I'd suggest you beg, borrow or steal what you can from friends and see what kind of style suits you. Do some test trips, figure out what you like, then buy.

Anyway, getting your gear together and testing it out is all great fun! Enjoy!
ossie

Post by ossie »

Without boring you with a whole list (the subject is exhaustive)

16kg in 4 panniers and a 1.7 kg tent on the rear rack

That includes cooking gear, reserve food and my only real luxury which is a lightweight fold up chair.

..doesn't include wine :D
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

There is a detailed discussion, including a link to spreadsheet with itemised weights viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48438

The spreadsheet is linked on the last page of the thread.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Must admit I don't weigh anything.

As long as the rack/bike doesn't collapse and nothing drops off I am fine.

Surely it doesn't matter much unless you are concerned about the bike or its fittings being particularly delicate?

Apologies if I'm missing something.
Sweep
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Sweep wrote:Must admit I don't weigh anything.

Surely it doesn't matter much unless you are concerned about the bike or its fittings being particularly delicate?

It matters a lot if you are flying and any place you may have to carry the bike (onto trains/ferries for example).

As i've said many times, I prefer to travel light but everything must still do the proscribed job. Why would I want to lug around extra kilos putting more strain on both me and my bike?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Fair point on flying foxy.

But for the rest, I can't be bothered to weigh grams - just take what I need, selected to be good stuff, strong, not over heavy. Chuck it on the bike.

I must admit to having had problems hauling my loaded bike onto an East Coast train but that was because of an insane gap between platform and carriage.
Sweep
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Sweep wrote:Must admit I don't weigh anything.

I've not yet got all gear together and want to take a test ride loaded so I'll be loading up with a "realistic" weight (based on others experiences) e.g. with water bottles, books and what gear I do have. So I was asking for info to get a realistic test together.

Ian
hamster

Post by hamster »

I'd say 10kg is at the lower end - you start needing to rough it or use more exotic kit. 15kg allows reasonable comfort and normal kit. Beyond that depends on how far, how remote and how comfortable. Clearly in winter, weights go up as more warm and waterproof things are essential.
PH

Post by PH »

hamster wrote:I'd say 10kg is at the lower end - you start needing to rough it or use more exotic kit. 15kg allows reasonable comfort and normal kit. Beyond that depends on how far, how remote and how comfortable. Clearly in winter, weights go up as more warm and waterproof things are essential.

I'd say that covers it. My last trip was three nights and I carried 9.45 kg, that includes everything that isn't bolted to the bike except food and drink. For a couple of weeks I'd add about 3 kg, mainly more clothing so I didn't have to do laundry every night and some off bike footwear. I don't get to tour for longer than a couple of weeks, but would expect the weight to go up and the mileage come down if I did.
Enough kit to be comfortable is the key, carrying an extra 5 kg isn't going to spoil any tour of mine, not getting enough sleep would. Over time I've refined what I need to make myself comfortable, along that journey I've over and under done it from towing a trailer to cramming everything into a saddlebag, once I'd got it right there's no point in my carrying any more than that. I don't need to a carry a deck chair to sit comfortably, but wouldn't hesitate to carry one if I did. Likewise I dislike camp cooking (For myself, it's different in a group) so it's pointless carrying the kit to do it when I'll still eat out.
There's debate about how much effect carrying the weight has on the cycling, doesn't really matter to anyone other than the person pedalling. To me, it influences the choice of bike and I prefer to ride a lighter one that would be less pleasant with more luggage than it was intended for.
whoof

Post by whoof »

I've never actually weighed my stuff but as I'm packing tonight for an 18 day trip to Spain I'll do so tonight.
I go with camping and cooking gear and pack it into Ortlieb; one (yes one) roller back, two roller front, a bar-bag, a small saddle pack with tools with the tent lengthways on the rear rack. Mrs Whoof carries a single rear roller pannier (which I sometimes then carry if we are climbing a mountain) and a bar-bag.