Loaded Camping Gear Weight

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
PH

Re: Loaded Camping Gear Weight

Post by PH »

ossie wrote:wow..how to complicate things.

Not really. I pack my inner pitch tent in two stuff sacks which attach to the top of the panniers, and the poles & pegs in their original bag which goes on top of the rack. Quick and simple, I'm usually first in a group to get packed away, plus my panniers don't get opened outside the tent which is useful in wet weather.
horizon

Post by horizon »

sabrutat wrote:

My heaviest touring load was around 45kg spread across two panniers and a trailer. I haven't been on a long tour for a couple of years, only short ones of less than a month. I'd guess the short tour set up is around 25 kg.

I allow myself up to 25 kg which (for me) in the UK is as little as I can get away with a if I want to be warm, dry, comfortable and fed.

Over that, I struggle to push (i.e. walk) the bike up steep hills. So it's a fine line.

How do you manage with 45 kg?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

horizon wrote:How do you manage with 45 kg?

It gets me very, very fit indeed. The first few weeks can be hard, but once I'm in shape, I don't even really notice it on the flat or slight inclines. I rode across the Alps with that rig, and found it surprisingly easy. The 10km+ downhills murdered my brakes, though.

Riding, I'd go with my 25kg rig, right up until it's time to make camp.
whoof

Post by whoof »

I packed for a camping trip this weekend and weighed everything last night = 3.1 kg, warm dry weather helps a lot.
robc02

Post by robc02 »

whoof wrote:I packed for a camping trip this weekend and weighed everything last night = 3.1 kg, warm dry weather helps a lot.

DId that include the bags/panniers? I take it you don't intend to cook?
whoof

Post by whoof »

robc02 wrote:
whoof wrote:I packed for a camping trip this weekend and weighed everything last night = 3.1 kg, warm dry weather helps a lot.

DId that include the bags/panniers? I take it you don't intend to cook?

Yes it does include bags. Fish and chips for tea and there's a Wetherspoons near our camping that opens for breakfast at 7 am.
horizon

Post by horizon »

I think we have to start defining "camping" - it's a pretty broad term. Having said that, I'm impressed by your 3.1 however you did it. :D :shock:
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
whoof

Post by whoof »

horizon wrote:

I think we have to start defining "camping" - it's a pretty broad term. Having said that, I'm impressed by your 3.1 however you did it. :D :shock:

No tent. Ground sheet, sleeping mat, bag and silk inner. Only packed clothes; spare shorts and socks, arms, gillet, swimming trunks, buff and cap.
Tools, head torch, small cable lock.
Tooth brush, paste, towel (very small), glasses, ear plugs.
Apidura saddlebag and Podsac bar bag.
ossie

Post by ossie »

whoof wrote:
horizon wrote:

No tent. Ground sheet, sleeping mat, bag and silk inner. Only packed clothes; spare shorts and socks, arms, gillet, swimming trunks, buff and cap.

I'd argue that's hardly within the spirit of the thread...which is loaded camping gear weight :D..

Camping

The activity of spending a holiday living in a tent.
horizon

Post by horizon »

I had plans for a trip that involved an overnight stay (or two) along the way. I was happy to whittle it down to a (very) small tent and no cooking gear. But I started to blanch at any diminution in sleeping bag weight or warm clothes. I'm still planning the trip and looking at what it might weigh. I can't see it coming down below 12 kg.
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

I'm starting to think there's a bipolar scale between cycling and camping. At one end, we have the pure cyclist, who doesn't care much about camping, but wants to bang out miles every day. It's all about the cycling. The camping is incidental, even a hindrance.

At the other extreme we have the camper. Someone who enjoys chilling out in the wilderness. The cycling gets us there. This is me.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

sabrutat wrote:I'm starting to think there's a bipolar scale between cycling and camping. At one end, we have the pure cyclist, who doesn't care much about camping, but wants to bang out miles every day. It's all about the cycling. The camping is incidental, even a hindrance.

At the other extreme we have the camper. Someone who enjoys chilling out in the wilderness. The cycling gets us there. This is me.

Same goes for backpackers.
I move around the scale according to the trip at hand, conditions and mood, but I don't ever really get to the real weight-weenie end.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
whoof

Post by whoof »

ossie wrote:
whoof wrote:
horizon wrote:

I'd argue that's hardly within the spirit of the thread...which is loaded camping gear weight :D..

Camping

whoof

Post by whoof »

ossie wrote:
whoof wrote:
horizon wrote:

Camping

stop

The gear I took was used for camping and I loaded and carried it.

I've found three other definitions

An overnight stay outdoors in a shelter.

The act of staying and sleeping outdoors for one of more days and night

To establish a camp
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

whoof wrote:
ossie wrote:
whoof wrote:No tent. Ground sheet, sleeping mat, bag and silk inner. Only packed clothes; spare shorts and socks, arms, gillet, swimming trunks, buff and cap.

Camping

stop

The gear I took was used for camping and I loaded and carried it.

I've found three other definitions

An overnight stay outdoors in a shelter.

The act of staying and sleeping outdoors for one of more days and night

To establish a camp

Think what you took only qualifies as tramping :lol:

Amd your list of definitions still missed one, vis

Impersonating Julian Clary who really is a top 'camper'!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!