Exped Synmat a bit deflatey...

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
nirakaro

Exped Synmat a bit deflatey...

Post by nirakaro »

I really like my Exped Synmat Hyperlite - it's light, comfortable, easy to use. BUT. I've found that it gradually deflates - I pump it up hard last thing at night, and by morning it's gone distinctly soggy. It's been like this pretty much from new. I've held it under water, and can't find any leaks, and I've checked that the valve is seating well, so I'm assuming that the material is very slightly porous. It's far from unusable, but not quite as good as I'd like. Anyone else had this experience? Anything to be done about it?
bikepacker

Re: Exped Synmat a bit deflatey...

Post by bikepacker »

I know you said you check the valve but have a close look at the deflate valve and check that there is not a strand of insulation causing the inner flap to let out a small amount of air. In my experience if one deflates that slowly it is usually something in the valve. You could always just inflate the bed and submerge the valves in some water. You may find the occasional bubble leaking. Worth checking first.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

bikepacker wrote: You could always just inflate the bed and submerge the valves in some water.

I've done that - no detectable leak.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

I had the same problem with a Thermarest mat. When I submerged it in the bath I could not find a single obvious leak, however, I did eventually find numerous tiny leaks, each may be producing one bubble of air per minute, therefore it seems that the material has become permeable with age :x
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

I've had mats where the fabric had failed - only visible when I soaped the whole thing up, nowadays I would paint it with a silicone mix but back then I scrapped it.

I've also had punctures and valve failures. the valve I pulled off and wound some ptfe tape around the oring that worked.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

rotavator wrote:I had the same problem with a Thermarest mat. When I submerged it in the bath I could not find a single obvious leak, however, I did eventually find numerous tiny leaks, each may be producing one bubble of air per minute, therefore it seems that the material has become permeable with age :x

They have a lifetime guarantee (or they did) should be able to get them replaced. A friend borrowed one of mine once and it got so hot in a tent in France that it delaminated -she got it replaced by them FOC.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

That is impressive, but to be honest I can't be bothered.

Will avoid the things.

Heard too manytales of failures.
Sweep
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

MrsHJ wrote:
rotavator wrote:I had the same problem with a Thermarest mat. When I submerged it in the bath I could not find a single obvious leak, however, I did eventually find numerous tiny leaks, each may be producing one bubble of air per minute, therefore it seems that the material has become permeable with age :x

They have a lifetime guarantee (or they did) should be able to get them replaced. A friend borrowed one of mine once and it got so hot in a tent in France that it delaminated -she got it replaced by them FOC.

Thanks for the tip. It is now on its way back and it will be interesting to see if Cascade Design honour their guarantee.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Do you need to provide any paperwork for the Thermarest guarantee?

I have one getting on for 20 years old but very lightly used.

It is clearly a Thermarest, I am clearly still alive (as I type this) though maybe they are worried about folk acquiring wrecked ones for a free one?

If it did go, in truth I would probably save myself the bother and buy another cheapish mat from the likes of Vango - will be avoiding the uber sophisticated ones.

I did pick up a Vango may for £15 in TKMaxx the other week.
Sweep
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Sweep wrote:Do you need to provide any paperwork for the Thermarest guarantee?

I have one getting on for 20 years old but very lightly used.

It is clearly a Thermarest, I am clearly still alive (as I type this) though maybe they are worried about folk acquiring wrecked ones for a free one?

If it did go, in truth I would probably save myself the bother and buy another cheapish mat from the likes of Vango - will be avoiding the uber sophisticated ones.

I did pick up a Vango may for £15 in TKMaxx the other week.

I don’t remember providing anything (and I’m not the sort of person to save receipts or guarantees). As I remember it my friend did all the work and thermarest sent out a new one- not quite the same model. It was about 10 years ago.
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Mine was about seven years old when they replaced it without any query. Definitely no paperwork. About five years ago.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

MrsHJ wrote:

Excellent result: a new Thermarest Neo air arrived yesterday and I will be trying it out at the weekend. :D.

And I didn't send any receipt with it.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

rotavator wrote:
MrsHJ wrote:

Excellent result: a new Thermarest Neo air arrived yesterday and I will be trying it out at the weekend. :D.

And I didn't send any receipt with it.

:-) I will shine my halo. I love my neo air and can live with the slight crisp packet noise in exchange for the comfort level.