Replenishing Consumables (Shopping)

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Psamathe

Replenishing Consumables (Shopping)

Post by Psamathe »

(Daft question - I'm probably over thinking but) when I go shopping and buy e.g. loo rolls I have to get a pack of 4 (min) or e.g. coffee I have to get a significant sized jar or e.g. shampoo I have to buy a bottle that will last me far longer than I want to carry it all around for. Supermarket pack sizes seem oriented to home living (and making you buy/use more than you otherwise might).

Not a major issue at home but when you are carrying it all up every hill, what do people do in practice to get round pack sizes designed for families with cars and houses rather than individuals with panniers facing hills?

(I'm probably over thinking it at the moment)

Ian
Cyril Haearn

Re: Replenishing Consumables (Shopping)

Post by Cyril Haearn »

When travelling I take a half-full bottle of shampoo for example that I can throw away at the end

Going on hols by car I take lots of dry goods, oats, toilet paper so I do not have to go shopping

There is legislation about prices per weight or volume being displayed but the stores are crafty, they juggle with pack sizes, bigger ones might be more expensive per gram

Wanted to buy some products that are manufactured 2 km from home. They were more expensive than the same product from 400 km away :? Love to hate food stores, there is an organic "local" store near me with wines from all over the world, I guess many customers drive there in lifestyle tanks

Is over-thinking as troublesome as under-thinking?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Toilet rolls - take some with you. I reserve the last third of a roll just before I go on tour. This can be replenished at campsites that have roll or at hotel. If necessary, packs of tissues for your nose are small, available in low numbers and good enough to last until the real stuff can be found.

Shampoo, shower gel, soap - whichever you choose can be decanted at home. Concentrated soap lasts a very long time and can be used for all bodily bits, laundry and dishes. https://www.drbronner.co.uk/departments ... eptid=PCLS

Coffee - use the local cafes for your fix and help the local economy.

The longest I've been away is 4 weeks and the above works for me.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

yes take the basics with you esp on trains as you cant rely on their loos having any paper.
I remember one occasion having to use my own , bike was near the loo, a gent came to use the loo went in, was there along time so presumably did his stuff, just how he coped I dont know as he didnt enter with a bag or anything :oops:
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

buy the smallest pack available and donate the spare. For toiletries I just take a small size shower gel and use that for shampoo and shower. I'm pretty ok on the minimalist stuff- don't overthink whether a bigger one would be better value per millimetre, get one that doesn't take up too much space.

For instance I take a small tupperware pot with screw lid for some olive oil for cooking- fill at home- when I've used all that I buy the smallest size available in the local supermarche, refill my bottle and donate the spare to a family in the campsite. In the USA I've noticed that spare stuff is left in the cooking area of the campsite.
ossie

Post by ossie »

For a month tour I take one loo roll (you can squash them flat - put it in a plastic bag) however you'd be surprised how many camp sites have loo roll, you can nip into a McDonalds (they ever everywhere) or just buy a coffee in a cafe and use their loo. Large supermarkets often have toilets.

I take a very small bottle of shampoo (Lynx do a small shower gel bottle so decant that ) and that can wash the rest of me, that said, without fail you will find shower gel and shampoo often left in camp site toilets so I just top up the bottle of 'stuff' I have.I also use it for washing clothes in the shower.

Cooking stuff as people have mentioned. Very small containers of salt, pepper and some herbs can transform a bland meal.Try poundland for the containers.

As for coffee you can buy the individual sachets but you need to hunt around for them.

Dont forget a tin / bottle opener - just thought I'd throw that in. Also a supply of plastic bags so you dispose of rubbish or carry your shopping to your bike.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

ossie wrote:I take a very small bottle of shampoo

I use the solid shampoo bars sold by Lush for camping & hosteling - far less weight and they fit in a soapdish. To really save weight one could be cut down smaller - I get a lot of washes per full size bar. Being solid, they can also be taken through airport security.

This is the stuff: https://uk.lush.com/article/mighty-shampoo-bar
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Toilet paper - you can get 'handbag' sized travel packs that aren't on a roll but are in a plastic bag - bought mine @ 8 years ago as it only gets used in emergencies - most toilets will have paper these days but occasionally a campsite doesn't as the kids and caravaners have previously made free with the stuff.

Shampoo - I usually get the smallest 2in1 stuff which doubles as bodywash. Again, there is invariably soap in the washrooms.

Coffee - I can put up with cheaper stuff for a couple of weeks, I get Nescafe 3in1 sticks - Sainsburys sell packs as do Poundland and B&M. Much easier than carrying individual elements and trying to get fresh milk. I usually take a couple of hot choc sticks too but i've given up on tea, the instant is revolting and there's the milk issue with bags.

For other stuff I just buy the smallest size - margarine is the main one, you can get individual jam/marmalade in various places (guess you could 'acquire' the same for marg/butter). The 'discount' supermarkets tend to have stuff in smaller amounts, especially abroad - they tend to shop more often for fresh stuff! For example, in Germany most bakeries let you buy half a loaf and a most fruit and veg is sold loose.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
climo

Post by climo »

We put any dry food in ziplock bags, that way you can add more but compress it as its used, ie you're not carrying half empty containers. Loo roll is often sold in singles in corner shops. Tubes of condensed milk for coffee beats powdered milk but are heavy. You can get flatbread in small packets. Last week a kind caravanner refilled my small washing up liquid bottle. Just ask caravanners and they're often delighted to help out esp charging phones, etc.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Psamathe wrote:(Daft question - I'm probably over thinking but)

Not at all, it's an issue. But then many people believe that what you are attempting to do is literally impossible (starting with riding a bicycle, never mind the camping) so if that is the extent of your worries then you're doing well.

I think one of the ironies of modern camping (= supermarket and car) is that campfires and barbecues are ever more popular on campsites. These are trickier with what you can carry on a bike but it shows that the car drivers are hankering after the simple life that you already have in spades (did anyone mention a spade?).
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

I have washed my hair using the body soap. Works and saves carrying yet another thing. And not being a liquid it does not spill in my bag :oops:

Tissues for blowing your nose? Umm no. I use a hankie when travelling. It never 'runs out', might be a bit damp but still useable. Trouble is finding them to buy these days, good thick ones for using rather than decoration.

Loo paper .. The military says 3 sheets per day per man. One up. One down. And one for polish. Double it for curry nights. Being a soft civie.. I say 10 sheets .. that is about 6 grams per day. A roll should last at least a week, might even stretch to two weeks. Just keep it dry! Camp grounds and hotels get sick of the rate of 'toilet paper consumption' .. they will be happy to have someone come up to them and purchase a single roll!!! Try it .. you may even get it free just because you asked rather than took.

Butter/margarine .. for some things I don't use any. And olive oil does for a substitute for some other things - just spread it on the bread as usual.

----------------
The first problem is the size/bulk of the stuff you want to take with you. You start out with a full toilet roll, a full bar of soap, a full xxx etc.
So .. think ... do I need to have it all full to start with or can I have one thing full and the next half used etc. This way you balance between one thing full the next half and the next running out.
Then you have to replenish one thing at a time as it gets towards running out, while the other things are hopefully not full and not running out - so they occupy not as much space allowing the new purchase room.