aldi helinox chair copy

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Bonefishblues

Re: aldi helinox chair copy

Post by Bonefishblues »

MrsHJ wrote:Bliney, this has all escalated a lot. It’s reasonable to be cautious for 2 reasons I think- 1. Big companies quite often knock off smaller companies ideas ( eg see Waitrose and hotel chocolat). I see this in my job quite a lot and China is a big concern on the infringement side.
2. Quality- can Aldi produce something that will be as robust and light as helinox for £20- maybe if they’re producing at volume but I’d be careful on that.

I tend to support the smaller companies as they keep bringing new ideas through. Having said that if anyone thinks it’s made with hélinox approval why not ask them eg on Twitter- you should pretty quickly get their official line on it!

I agree, although it does sometimes hold a mirror to the margins that are/were being made by the little guys whilst the going was good. In an area I know well, fly fishermen are busily buying reels direct from China at a fraction (think perhaps 20% max) of the previous price charged by brands for a CNC'd item.
Graham

Post by Graham »

I'm wallowing in guilt.
I bought one. . . . as a proof-of-concept, of course :roll:

Relatively comfortable : Relatively stable : Durability ? . . see photo

The immediate question is whether this can be patched up for anything better than a short-term fix ?

AldiCampingChair.JPG

I will be buying an Alite OR a Helinox chair as the result of this test.
Last edited by Graham on 19 Jul 2018, 9:18am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Specific Alite / Helinox product names removed.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

take it back for another, or contact the customer service number ALDI are really good on that sort of thing.

or you can slit and restitch it.
Graham

Post by Graham »

That one now replaced by an identical one.
I was a bit surprised that it was still in stock, two weeks after buying the first one.
Lots of orange ones available. I only found one blue one.

Strangely enough, the shoulder strap on the carry-bag of the new one had been sewn incorrectly such that one end had a (virtual) moebius loop.
They let me swap the straps over.

The Aldi assistant requested that I show her the defect in the netting on the old one.
This I find rather reassuring.

I still intend to get an Alite or a Helinox chair in due course.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

Graham wrote:Lots of orange ones available. I only found one blue one.

I noticed loads of orange ones at one of our local ones, the big inflatables thingys all sold though
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Graham wrote:As far stability is concerned the Alite Mayfly does look as though it has a wider base. Whether this is significantly better than the Helinox Ground Chair though I have no idea.
Any advice ?

Youtube is useful for answering this sort of question.
It seems relatively common in America to order both (or more) of something, and send back the version you don't like.
eg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yToVrY-Q4yA
Graham

Post by Graham »

I have made a close inspection of the seams on the seat of this replacement Aldi chair.

It is quite badly finished, with various machine-sewing defects.

Had I found such defects on an £80 Helinox or Alite I would take it straight back for replacement.

I'll hang on to this one for the moment and keep a careful eye on the seams.

£18 . . . If it seems to good to be true . . .